Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I stand corrected then. I figured a truck made in Japan would be "fairly" standard outside of model year changes. The part number help has hopefully narrowed it down to a purchase on Ebay. Hopefully folks can see that to an admitted non-expert, the seemingly odd statements about bumpers, fan colors, the oil lines themselves, is it an FJ, sounded just weird! Of course it's an FJ. Add to which, I'm a little jacked up to begin with having the truck out of service to begin with. My apologies, no offence was meant, and the help has been appreciated. Now if I can just figure out if it's the passenger side lower line thats the oil drain line AND this Ebay part fits, life will be better. Only ordering thee Ebay part because the picture of it shows the longest bent D/S area. I don't have the party number at this moment, but will post when it arrives in Monday.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
I just added a trans Cooler and the top line from the trans is the return . So look at the passenger side of trans . follow the top line .

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
bottom would be drain top would be return

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Think of your trans like it is a pump . Hot fluid comes out of the bottom line . feeds through the radiator / trans cooler then goes back in the trans through the top line

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
I have no idea If that arrow is top or bottom . You need to look at your transmission on the passenger side and follow the lines forward .

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
I would go take pics of mine but i have Skid plates on it so its hard to see .

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
LOOK AT YOUR TRANSMISSION . Look on the passenger side and you will see were the 2 lines come out . Follow those up toward the front of your FJ . the 2 lines coming out of the trans will be hard lines . They will turn into Rubber Hose those Rubber hoses will connect to that Rusted line set you keep posting . Please do not take this wrong but if you are having a hard time finding the passenger side of your transmission and the 2 lines coming out i would not recommend you trying to flush . Do you know how to check if it is full ?

Reactions: SilvFx

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
No offense taken at all. I know vehicle has to be level, I've read to jump the OBD2, do the N to D shifts and wait for Trans Temp to light...to begin the check level process. I see where the lines exit the trans and go to the old rusty hard line's I'm replacing. My impression from reading the DIY thread and the links to other Toyota forums is "to disconnect the rubber hose from the lower, rusty metal hard line" as this lower hard line will pump out the old fluid.......OHHHHHH....wait am I too hung up on the rusty old lines???? I'm I hearing you, that it's the actual lines exiting the passenger side of the transmission And it doesn't really matter which hard pipe the COULD be connected too...... That I need to connect the clear drain tubing to WHICHEVER hard pipe is connected to the TOP line running INTO the passenger side of the transmission?!?!?!?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
You're killing me smalls. I'll take it that @Firemedic831 as accurate about which lines going in/out of the side of the transmission are OUTPUT and RETURN lines. Assuming he is correct in what he posted this means the following:

• He has stated that top line going into side of the transmission is the return line from the trans oil cooler that is part of the radiator.
  • This also means the bottom line going into the side of the transmission is the output line that sends fluid into the transmission oil cooler that is part of the radiator.
  • I assume that you also want to flush the old trans fluid out of the trans oil cooler that is part of the radiator.
  • Pretend you are the trans fluid and follow it as it is pumped out of the transmission. Find the bottom line coming out of side of transmission as the trans fluid will be pushed out of this line all the way toward the transmission oil cooler.
  • Follow this line coming out the bottom port on the transmission (both hard and soft lines) and follow it all the way to the radiator (both hard and soft lines) until it goes into the radiator transmission cooler. This is the OUTPUT LINE.
  • Look for the OTHER line coming out of the transmission oil cooler in the radiator (e.g. not associated with the bottom port line coming out of transmission). This is the RETURN LINE that goes all the way back to the top port on the side of transmission.
  • If you are the transmission fluid, you will be coming out of the RETURN LINE after it has been pushed through the transmission cooler in the radiator.
  • You want to remove portion of the soft RETURN LINE from the hard line and put the end of the soft RETURN LINE into the container where you can capture and measure two quarts at a time.
  • If you have identified the RETURN LINE properly, the flow will be coming from the radiator side on its way back to the top port of the transmission when you start and run the vehicle.
As Firemedic831 stated, if you cant follow this detail (and is no knock on your worth as a human being), this isn't the right project for you and you should probably have a fluid replacement done at a dealer or other shop.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Perfect directions!!! I think my hang up was I was stuck on "which" end of the old rusty lines the fluid would come out of. It never occurred to me that it would depend on which way they were connected from leaving the transmission. Now I've got it... and in my case, the return from the cooler actually plugs into the bottom hard line. So I shall drain from this. Much appreciated from all!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
G'Day
The OE part number you need is 32907-60300
I would not trust the auto parts store matching the part to the correct one.
They may have given you the 07-09 pipe or something totally different.
Your transmission is too important and expensive to replace with an almost right / close enough - call it good part....
Stick with OE for this and save yourself a world of pain
cheers
Baz
new part arrived today.. you were spot on with it . Here are both, side by side..

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
My local dealer parts guy, after being given VIN was quite insistent that my 2010 TT 4wd did NOT have a curved, long line, and that it took the straight pipes he was showing. Add to which he wanted $115 up front to order it...thanks to the knowledge here, I was able to find the right part

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I should add....the dealership parts guy wasn't rude at all. Just insistent the line was straight, and that perhaps I was looking at something else

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
My local dealer parts guy, after being given VIN was quite insistent that my 2010 TT 4wd did NOT have a curved, long line, and that it took the straight pipes he was showing. Add to which he wanted $115 up front to order it...thanks to the knowledge here, I was able to find the right part
God forbid I defend the Toyota parts guy, but in his SLIGHT defense the parts schematic isnt perfectly accurate in that the parts schematic shows the exact same drawing for the 07-09 models as it does for the 10-14 models. BUT and this is the important part, and why I actually think he is idiot, is that happens all the time with Toyota and other manufacturers. It is just an approximate drawing and serves its purpose. If he has been around for even a little while and had the slightest bit of observation skills he would have known this and indicated that it can actually vary from the drawing. It only has to be accurate enough to discern the separate parts in the drawing to then look up the part number. Toyota didnt bother to update the drawing even though the shape changed a bit. But, Toyota did change the part number between the 07-09 models and the 10-14 models, which if parts guy took just a bit more time, he could have seen that it is in fact a different part number.

Secondly, you figured out my gripe with my local dealer. The dont even offer it at list price...but like list price +20-30%, while the online OEM parts guys are offering them at list price minus 20-30%. Unless I am desperate and need it right away and they have it in stock, I dont even bother with my local dealer anymore.

So you learned two things. Local dealer doesnt have the brightest parts guys and local dealer has prices higher than even list price. So armed with that information you are forewarned before dealing with them again.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts