Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my scangauge yesterday. My results are very depressing.
I had been getting around 17-19 mpg for mostly highway driving. I installed the scangauge the same day i also used some "electronics cleaner" to spray on the MAF.
Driving 60mph on the highway, it showed me an average of 13mpg! What is the deal, i have 285 AT's, ome lift, arb bumper. I am not running a 6inch lift and 35's.

What gives??? I set the scan gauge to a 4.0L engine and the tank size to 19.
Is there anything else i need to do???

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
When you install it it will be off, Atfter you fillup your tank once or twice and adjust the SG each time it will be alot more on point. Make sure you adjust for fillup EVRY TIME or you will have to reset it and start all over again.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you install it it will be off, Atfter you fillup your tank once or twice and adjust the SG each time it will be alot more on point. Make sure you adjust for fillup EVRY TIME or you will have to reset it and start all over again.
What do i do after i fill up (on the scan gauge)?

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
What do i do after i fill up (on the scan gauge)?
you push the red button, then MORE, then Fill up, then input how many gallons you actually put in, you may have to go up or down from the number that the scanguage is displaying but just adjust it to the amount you put in, then push done, after that it will ask you to input the price per gallon, then done.
Like I said don't forget to do this every fillup for accuracy which also means you cant just put a couple bucks in, you must fill up every time..

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yes it's lying!! We forgot the biggest entry of all!! You have to adjust for those nice big tires you are running. Hit your bullseye. Then go to more,set up, speed. Then adjust speed upwards to three or four. Then hit save and you should be adjusted for your tires. VOO

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
My BFG 35" MT's are 8% to get the SG to match my TomTom GPS actual speed. On our recent trip to Sedona we averaged 12.8 mpg with 4 people and full luggage/trail tools & accessories load. Not bad for stock gears and 35's!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes it's lying!! We forgot the biggest entry of all!! You have to adjust for those nice big tires you are running. Hit your bullseye. Then go to more,set up, speed. Then adjust speed upwards to three or four. Then hit save and you should be adjusted for your tires. VOO
Okay, last time i checked my speed it was pretty good compared to my Tom Tom. i will go out and check it again though. I'll also go do the fillup thing, I filled up last night and the gas station is about .5 miles from my house. That shouldn't be a big deal huh???

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
The 0.5 miles wouldn't make much of a difference. The problem I had is that once it is screwed up, nothing short of a reset will set you on the path to righteousness.. Ron

Okay, last time i checked my speed it was pretty good compared to my Tom Tom. i will go out and check it again though. I'll also go do the fillup thing, I filled up last night and the gas station is about .5 miles from my house. That shouldn't be a big deal huh???

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I drove around for a little bit today and burned a couple gallons. I went to top it off. Afterwards, i went to put in how many gallons i had put in. It said .2 gallons and when i pressed the right left arrow, it only allowed me to change the percentage at the bottom (it was around 57%). I thought you were suppose to enter how many gallons you filled up?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
this thing sounds like a pain, i'd rather do the math in my head :p
I'm with you! It's so easy to calculate, why should I bother with this? I don't need it to tell me how to get better gas mileage either. Take it easy on the gas, look far down the road, and plan your stops. What am I missing?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
no....actually your MPG sounds about right......I was getting the same as you with my dunlops and ever since I put my BFGs on my MPG has taken a nose dive.....I used to get between 250 and 300 miles just as my Empty light would come on........I am lucky if I get 200 now......no bumpers, no roof rack, no winch, have cleaned my MAS.....nothing so be thankful that you get as much as you do......I can imagine what mine will drop to once I add the heavy crap, must be my rock rails and all the black rustoleum I used LOL

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But i was getting according to my calculations 17 avg before i cleaned my MAF and installed the scanguage. (i had to disconnect the battery to clean the maf so i can't check my mileage via calculator for a few days).
It is now saying that i am getting 8 driving in the city. Mind you i drive like a grandma, i drive the FJ as if i don't have brakes. I read that manual (sort of) and it's not too precise, it kind of jumps all over the place and their is no specific set-up spot in it that is clear.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
see I had the complete opposite of you and had 23mpg.... Im just going to pretend that this is my mpg :)
What the heck is going on with that thing.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
Keep in mind that your SG II is "real time." If you are mashing the go pedal, your MPG on the screen will plummet. If you are on a level surface in cruise control, the MPG will fluctuate very little, and this is your more accurate reading. But, since it's real-time, the numbers will be all over the board. In order to get an accurate "per-tankful" MPG estimate, you need to do the calculations upon fill up. That's my 2 cents worth...:D

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Keep in mind that your SG II is "real time." If you are mashing the go pedal, your MPG on the screen will plummet. If you are on a level surface in cruise control, the MPG will fluctuate very little, and this is your more accurate reading. But, since it's real-time, the numbers will be all over the board. In order to get an accurate "per-tankful" MPG estimate, you need to do the calculations upon fill up. That's my 2 cents worth...:D
Yeah, but going 60 on level ground and getting 13MPG on the scanguage when my mile/gal calculation gives me 17-18 mpg? What is up with that?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts