Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Glad I could help and thanks. ARB is a good choice, I just needed something flatter myself so I can keep fitting in the garage.

I didn't post the second half of for the USB instal because there really isn't anything to see. I dropped the dual USB power supply in the top of the CRAWL control console and bored out 2 little half circles for a wire to come out of the front on both the driver's side and passenger side of the console. I already showed all the hard stuff and lets face it people like pictures.

I did pre order the snorkel so when it comes in I'll dwell on punching a ___ load of holes in my fender. I also finally got new tires. They are currently on order with discount so they should be in next week. I'll post some updates when I get the tires installed.

In 3 weeks I will have had the FJ for 1 year. Hurray for being 1/5ish paid off. I should be posting a 1 year status around 9/16.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My wife just forwarded a picture of a hitch basket being made for us by her father in Houston.

A few weeks back he asked if we would like a hitch carrier. He asked for me to draw up a plan for what we want. We opted for a full width basket and it should be able to take the whole hitch rating.

So in the next few weeks we will be picking it up when we visit Houston.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
On the way back from Gilmer, TX I hit my 15k mark.

Just got it back from the dealership. After a bit of a conversation with the tecs filling my tires to 30-32 psi, down from the 35 I came in with I was on my way with a clean bill of health. I did get questioned from another customer where I got the front bumper and what I had to do to install it. I was more than happy to help him out. He then just has to convince the wife. :)

The new tires were amazing. I did manage to get a bit of tread damage on them from the rocks, a bit of scaring on the treads, but all in all they did well and the gripped on to everything I took them too.

You can see in the picture I did take of my mudflaps. I heard some nasty dragging when turning in reverse. Thought it was the flaps and pulled them. Still had the dragging sound. So I took a look at the front of the wheel wells and on my drivers side I must have hit something that peeled back some of my wheel well, it was the culprit. A quick snip with the tin snips and it was solved. I didn't bother reinstalling the flaps since there was a minor rub there anyway.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Snorkel install!

I picked up a PRG snorkel. It came with all the templates and tools you see here. It was a large semi-group order so he added a first aid pack and some tire deflators. Awesome deal and I would have gotten it without the addons... but it helps.

The install is really easy to do, I made some personal mistakes that made a 2-3 hour install take a whopping 10 hours.

After making sure I have all the parts before I make my fender into Swiss cheese I did pulled my airbox.

It was simple enough, 2 bolts in the box, 1 outside and a flowsensor I had to disconnect. When I pulled the box I taped up the inlet since I was outside and leaves were blowing around.

Hurdle 1!
Pull the inner wheel well out and remove the inlet. I had a horrific time getting the plugs out of the wheel well that hold the bolts that hold the fender flairs. After way too much time attempting to figure out a way to get in there to pull the plugs I ended up actually just breaking one so I could get my hands in and remove the rest.

Back on track.

Laid the template out on the fender and punched the pilot holes, I didn't mask yet because I figured I would remove any possible chipping later.

Drilled and masked.

I didn't want to let my unibit go too far so I tapped off where I needed to stop so I didn't end up with with an extremely expensive snorkel install.

Hole punching time. I just cleared my head and thought of me being at work making holes in much more expensive items. Just drill.

After I finished punching the 4 1/8" hole I had my mini attack of "oh god is it in the right place?" Took a step back and it was.

Painted up and nice.

While the paint was drying I loctited the studs.

The next part I had the start of hurdle 2. On this forum one person used rivets instead of the inserts, I borrowed a rivet gun from work and was ready to do that. The inserts looks to be good I decided to do that and I drilled 3 8mm holes.

After this is where it started to go to hell. Not because of the product but purely because of me, and pictures started to become scarce. When I started to put on the top bracket on I managed to break 1 insert and strip the other 2. Now the hole is too big to rivet and I couldn't leave the house for 2 reasons. My car cant run without a filter and I have a delivery I need to be home for some time between 2-6. My solution was to wait for the wife to come home and the delivery so we can go to an autoparts store to get some replacement inserts.

Then I quickly ran into hurdle 3. I followed the steps about putting the hose on the snorkel and bolting it up then attaching the hose to the filter box. I didn't notice on the last page it states that I will have to stretch the hose around a much bigger filter inlet. So I had to remove the snorkel from the truck and figure a way to make a 4 inch hose a 4 1/2 inch hose.

After a lot of work, cussing and plenty of heat gun use. I opted to leave the original adapter to the truck inlet and cut the hose down to fit. Went on like it was meant to and no issues at all.

At this time my delivery came and I was free to leave. We loaded up in another car and went to the autoparts store. Got some very hefty inserts and we had to hammer them in. It actually put a very slight dent in the outer A pillar, put in the stock screws and bolted it up. Finally hurdle 2 complete.

Start the car, check engine light. Damit. Well I turned on the car to aux to turn the wheel after I removed the box. The truck read that as a bad mass flow meter and threw a code. Currently I have a friend borrowing my OBII reader so I couldn't clear the codes. Went to autozone and the read the code and it was the mass flow meter. I asked them if they could clear the code and they said no, well lucky for me them reading the code cleared the code for me. Problem solved.

Next morning I could finally take a picture in daylight.

So mistakes were made on my part but I am very happy I did it. If you decide to put a snorkel on I hope you learn from me instead of making my same mistakes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks, really easy to do and a huge improvement. It was just the first time to pull down the crawl control console was a moment of truth. I thought I was going to break the whole thing. Now it doesn't even phase me.

So my wife says to me "Lets start back up your XM radio so we can have music on the way to Florida"
"Ok, I guess were taking my truck then"
"yep"

So back to the priority list I had earlier. Roof rack, done, its now GPS time.

As soon as I got the GPS in I already had a 12v to usb supply just needed to wire it up. I figured I would print out a new mount for the GPS and screw it to the rear view mirror with the power coming out of the crawl console.

So it prints out and it looks nice and the GPS clips into the ball mount that attached to the back of the receiver. I then notice that the plastic I print with is much softer then the plastic they used so as I move it around it gets looser and looser.

Almost the same thing goes with the 12v to USB supply. Its a little POS and I wire it up and I just look at it and say to my self this is a bucket of junk, it will probably work but I don't know if I can rely on it. So I put it up.

Back to square one.

I'm looking at the suction cup and I realize that it has a really good grip. Why not just make a metal plate that goes from the rear view mirror to the crawl console?

I took some galvanized plate, folded it on a 4" table vise and hammered it out. I put 2 flanges on the sides with folded edges so it won't cut any one and the flanges make sure the suction point stays flat as possible. Once I got the shape I wanted I hit it with some of the same bumper spray paint I used on my rock rails.

It connects to the 2 screws in the rear view mirror and on the rear I left 2 tabs that I folded over the head liner, combined with the console it held rather well.

Now I wanted this to also act as a charging station for phones and such so I wired a switch to a constantly hot tap. Light's green when its powered up.

Now I just have to wait till Monday for my 2 USB power supply to come in the mail and install it in the console. It should be a simple drop in install since I did all the wiring tonight. All I need to do it tap in to the ground for the switch and plug into the hot. I will probably glue the transformer to the console and leave the two USB heads sticking out the edges.

Thanks for taking a look. (The GPS has a 2 hour battery:wink)

More to come Monday-Tuesday.
What is the console? It looks like you bought it. Im not talking about the part where the GPS is mounted, but the other section with the lights and power supply. If you did make it, it looks awesome! I wish i had a CNC machine as well.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So today marks the start of the end of me carrying Jerry cans loosely strapped to the top of my roof rack.

As you see here I normally strap them up like a ribbon on a present, it holds them well but it takes a while to secure them properly and it makes me not want to use them. Also I’m hoping my load is properly tight since there is nothing holding the cans up there but the tie down. On top of that the tiedown is only holding on the cross members of the rack nothing but friction is keeping them from sliding left to right.

I have liked the idea of a proper can holder but many of the styles I like cost 100+ dollars per can. I am not up to paying 200+ for holding two cans. I finally opted for the approach of making my own.

Simple basket that will bolt on to my warrior rack via a clamp that spans 3 crossmembers of the rack so it will be easy to remove when not in use so I can fit in the garage. The tanks will still be strapped but it will only take 1 strap over the top to secure them on to the rack unlike the crisscrossing strap pattern I had to use before. The total cost of all of raw material is ~$25.00 for 2 excluding hardware and paint. Now before people say wow, we are getting ripped off buying these expensive holders and such I have on the conservative side 3k of welding equipment and tools to build them.

Building should commence this Saturday.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Today I managed to make the first of 2 can holders. I figured I would make one mount it and drive around with it for a day or so to see if anything expected happens before I make 2 of them.

Here is just the cage.

Mounted with 5/16" UNC tabs.

The can is held by a single strap now in a simple up and over instead of the crossed method before.

On the second one I'll take in progress shots now that I know what I'm doing.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Busy day today. I did 2 things for the FJ.

1st- My synthetic rope came in to replace the kinked cable. Might as well replace up opposed to replace equal.

I figured I would take some pictures of how I managed to replace the rope on my enclosed Ironman bumper.

First I dropped my bumper skid plate so I could access the rear of my rollers.

Unbolt the rollers and disengage the clutch on the winch.

Unspool.

When you reach the end you will have a small allen head bolt holding the cable on.

Since the rollers are already off you can easily access this.

And the old cable is no more.

On the rope install side I decided to at least test fit the fairlead before proceeding.

Thread the rope through the fairlead and attach to the allen in reverse order.

Bolt on the fairlead and reattach the hook and wind up.

Profit.

***Note, I have not actually tensioned the rope yet, will probably be done next weekend.

The second thing I did today.

Now for pictures of the other jerry can mount.

Tacked together, this one I opted to have 2 center cross bars to keep the can from rocking.

Sealed.

I was happy to keep it flat as I did with as much heat I put into it. Alternating corners and stepping seemed to keep distortion down.

This time instead of hoping to god that I didn't mess up measuring my anchors I bolted them to the clamp bar then welded them to the can holder.

Second one done, and now I have 10 gallons able to be properly stored.

On the first holder I just added 2 more bars so it now has 3.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I have managed to get out and wheel 2 times so far this year at a park. Last year I got out few times to the parks and I managed to get it muddy on some dirt roads also last year. I don't really have many pictures of me off-roading since I'm the one driving.

Been keeping a rate of going out and wheeling about once every 2 months.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Today I built an air dam. While at Jambo someone told me that the warrior air dam really cuts down on the wind noise. It is 100 dollars, now I'm not saying its a bad cost, I just happened to have materials around the house to make my own.

I had a few horrible attempts to make an overly complicated bracket to hold the air dam on. After those failures I went to the KISS approach and just made a bent bar with a clamp.

Right now I have it up non painted just to see if it works, tomorrow I'll throw on some paint.

I am also tempted to notch and weld the plate to make it match the rack. I will see how it looks after its painted.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
You must of been the one I asked about your Jerry can mounts at Jambo. (you had the wood platform up front?)

Like the homemade air dam. If you have the tools, supplies, workspace, and know how...that's the way to do it!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
You must of been the one I asked about your Jerry can mounts at Jambo. (you had the wood platform up front?)

Like the homemade air dam. If you have the tools, supplies, workspace, and know how...that's the way to do it!
Yep, that is me. I was a amazed at how much sound it gets rid of. The wife didn't notice much of a difference but when I told her we had the radio down at 4-5 opposed to normally at 10-15 to hear she was impressed. I have been only up to 50 with it so far. Today I will test it out on the highway so 70-80.

21 - 40 of 131 Posts