Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #103 (Edited)
I just got back from a long trip and I had a list of things to do on the Toyotas. 2 items for the FJ and 2 for the 4Runner. For the FJ I had to install my midland 75 as my cobra did die and I got a cheapo lightbar from amazon for 30 dollars. For the 4Runner my wife's sliders came in and I was going to reinforce my old rear control arms to install on the 4Runner.

I ordered a 12v plug and a USB plug. The same kit as what I installed on my wife's 4Runner for her Radio and a USB charger. I open it and it is 2 12v plugs and 1 USB insert. Not what I ordered. I sent a message to amazon and they sent me a refund. Instead of just dealing with it I decided to just use the stock 12v plug and relocate the antenna coax. Super easy.

Not what I ordered.

Since that turned out to be a quick fix and I had the day off I figured I would go for the light bar. While on the trip I was talking to a fellow offroader about how to best route the wires to the light bar. I didn't want to punch a hole through the roof to get up there. I was thinking about going the long way around the back door he suggested why not the snorkel? I was thinking that but wasn't sure. We talked about it and I decided to go through the airbox up snorkel and to the light bar.

First was going through the airbox and to the bottom of the snorkel I then fished it out with a house wire pull.

Wires up and out simple.

The snorkel has 4 drains on the head. I went up then looped over the drain I did this so water will not just follow the wire down the snorkel. I'll wire tie this eventually to the roof rack.

No more airdam.

The one hickup I had is I wired the switch as an inline switch not a rocker switch. I will have to fix that tomorrow. I had the typical problems people have, the roof rack has mounting holes for lights, none lined up so had to drill some in the rack. Also the supports that came with the light bar were so long they had the lightbar hit the roof of the FJ I had to make an adapter bracket with some heavy angle.

On the 4Runner side I got most of it done.

Rear control arms are built but not installed yet.

Sliders are installed.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
It has been a while and I have still been meddling on the FJ. Next week I will be pulling my driver side CV axle and replacing it but this weekend I have been messing with a phone mount for the cab.

I did a test print in a spool I already had in the printer. The whole mount will be black. Where I am placing it I can easially see the phone for any navigation of caller ID and I can touch it easily with my hand still on the wheel without it being it the way.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Sweet, love to see a happy couple enjoying their FJ together!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Building the FJ is slowing down, mainly because I have most if it done and the money that would be spent on it has gone to my wife's 4Runner.

My latest addition was a permanent mount for my treds pads. Simple 2 pieces of flatbar with a 1/2" all thread welded to the bottom of them.

They are up and out of the way and easy to get if needed. The all thread and the wing nuts are stainless steel so I won't have to worry about them rusting shut when I need them. I also added a pin to the top in case the wing nut loosens also high enough to add a second set if wanted.

On the 4Runner front we got her skid plates mounted. Full set just like mine.

Upcomming: I have an ICOM 2300H ham on order and should be in tomorrow. I will be installing this and re-installing my CB and making a electrical sub box in the cab. The wife's 4Runner will be getting OME lift, upper control arms and the lowers finally installed along with a rear slide out for a fridge, table and cargo box I have been building. It will hold a 64 quart edgestar and have a secondary table come out from under the fridge on 2 sets of 500 lbs slides.

One last thing, both of our vehicles did get beat up in a recent hail storm in Texas, no broken glass but I did take my money for the FJ and paid it off. I will be replacing the hood later this year. The wife's 4Runner since it just broke the 6k mark will get all of its repairs done.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
So instead of getting one vehicle ready for Jambo I have the privilege of getting 2 ready by May 4th.

On the wife's 4Runner, she got a an OME lift with SPC upper control arms along with tires.

I also knocked out most of her rear cargo slide and tool box.

I managed to build my junction box to organize my growing rats nest of wiring in the cab.

It looked good and was slated to fit on my spring tail saddle mount but I made it a bit too wide and it hits my glove box. The location is exactly what I wanted to I modified the box.

Now I have a pocket for the glove box to fall into. Keeping it tight in there but with max organization in the long run.

Primed and painted.

I also decided to mount my ham on the driver's side of the springtail. My wife poo pooed the idea of a roof mount and I think that is for the best.

The box has 2 terminal strips one hot and one ground. I also have a master on/off switch so I can kill the box.

The top of the box houses an extra 12v port and usb. I plan on powering my CB through this and with any luck I'll loose the noise I get from the stock 12v port.

While I was wiring up the box the wife and kiddo supervised. in the background you can see my wife's fridge slide with the frame of her tool box attached.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Still doing work on the FJ. I got the 2m radio and the electrical wired up. No pictures of that since it didn't change position, just happens to light up now when switched on.

Still hunting for some popping sound in my front driver suspension. I replaced my upper control arm bearings.

I blew out the one of the bearings, I thought I needed to re-grease them but when I did one of them just mushroomed out badly. It had a decent sized crack in it. I wouldn't suggest installing new uppers at the house unless your close to an alignment shop but taking them out to put new bushings in was just about the most straight forward repair I have had on the vehicle.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
This weekend I decoupled my swing out from my back door. Its just too much mass slamming shut every time I close the door. I have been lucky and haven't had to open it on anything to off angle as it might be nearly impossible to close otherwise.

So I put on a 240lb gas spring, where I placed the spring it takes 50-60 lbs of force to close the swingout but it holds it well at an angle.

Everything else on the door and swingout works the same. I did do some maintenance on it since it has been on nearly a year now. I had a weld near the clamp on the arm that I was lazy on while building it. Instead of grooving it and then welding I just welded on top and when I smoothed it out I basically removed the weld. Well about a year later I had some crap get in it. I cleaned it out and welded it up.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Not dead yet and definitely not done working on the FJ. We did manage to double or triple our money pit if in include the trailer so time has been spent elsewhere not on the FJ. The 4Runner has had some catch up to do.

So basically in the last year an a half we have gone from this.

To this

Our next trip we plan on taking we will have limited camping spaces and in TX trailers are considered a vehicle for camping spaces. We are going to ditch the trailer for this trip and re rig the FJ to take the wife, kid and me on a 1 week trip in Big Bend.

The goal will be to rebuild the rear platform and have it wrap around the driverside passenger seat for the fridge, make a frame for the RTT and gas to all fit on the roof rack, finally lock down the random popping noise in the front of the FJ (I think its down to some frame hardware flexing) and install my rear long travel kit.

The kit is hear with the exception of shocks, hopefully they will be in next month so too late for jambo but oh well one last hurrah for the rear OMEs.

Somewhere in this we plan on getting the wife's 4Runner a snorkel and I'll probably add it here too and there was a talk about dual batteries for both vehicles. On the trailer front I got the go a head to start planing out a tear drop conversion to the trailer so when the kid gets bigger he can get the RTT on the trailer as his own room.

So just time to find more money to burn :)

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
The skid plates are bud built, we have them both on the FJC and the 4Runner.

Main skids
2010-2014 FJ Cruiser 5 Piece Combo, Regular Gas Tank
Rear dif
Diff Skid Plate | 07-14 FJ Cruiser | BudBuilt Off-Road

If your getting them all the used to have a discount on the rear dif skid if you get it at the same time as the 5 piece combo. We did that for both vehicles. It might be worth a call to see if they still do that. The wife got her's powdercoated and its probably worth it, yes if you use them you will take off the powdercoat but your not going to have to worry about the top of the skids holding any water/mud. I used rustoleum yellow with rust converting primer and its held up decently.

The other smaller skids for the lower control arms, shock mounts and such are listed on the first page.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
No pictures of this yet because it was a bit of a blur this weekend. The rear shocks came in and I had a shop install them, I don't like springs and the idea of me accidentally draining my brakes when changing out the lines put me off. While it was there I asked them to help hunt down my pop.

They found it, my passenger side strut didn't have a lower stop anymore so it was over extending my suspension to full bind. Luckily for me someone at the shop was getting a long travel installed on their 4Runner so I bought is "old" 2.5 toytecs I say "old" because he had them on for only a year and only wheeled them twice in that time.

So OME is off the rig and now I have toytec/icon with any luck I'll have some good flexy photos after jambo.

101 - 120 of 131 Posts