Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
I snapped a picture my my OME struts.

I guess its proof that the Toyota tecs, at least the normal service interval guys don't look at anything not Toyota or don't know **** about vehicles other than how to change oil and look for leaks. The polished spot on the strut was impossible to see on the ground but on a lift its clear as day and you can quickly see that the right side hung down another 3" and fully bound the CV.

I don't plan on taking the strut apart but I have a friend currently running OME and he is interested in changing to heavies since he is planing on towing a trailer, I was going to give him my old rear springs but now he gets a full set. Just needs to put the fronts on his struts.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
So I had one last mod for Jambo.

Unfortuanlly it didn't last long due to the huge amounts of rain and humidity. Next year I'll have some better ones.

The suspension had some great flex.

The 2.5s in the front and the long travel on the back made it both extremely smooth on the move and while slowing down I had plenty of articulation.

The kid loved it.

We let him ride in front a bit while on the main roads, he got to the point he would squeal with excitement when he realized he got the front seat.

The wife also loved the trip, her second time driving her own vehicle.

Bottom line huge amounts of fun. I clocked about 50 miles and the wife clocked about 30 and no damage, a first for us!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Cleaned up the autos and yep no real damage, wife managed to put a ding on her rear lower control arm mount, its not armored yet but probably won't be. Mine just needs some BFH work and some spray paint on the skids nothing bad.

Got another trip coming up on the 18th. Its going to be a "tight trail" I was told to make sure I bring a chainsaw. This tells me no trailer the tent takes up the whole roof rack and gets a little tight on the clips since its the exact same size as the rack. Going to boost the tent up 2 inches so I can close the tent up easily and put a small basket on the back so I can put a single 5gal can up there and 1 gal 2 stroke and chainsaw up out of the way.

Yesterday was me tacking parts together.

Today I seal welded everything together.

KISS, this sub rack will just clamp to the main and give me a foot of storage to put a 2 cans up there, chainsaw and my mats. I also managed to swing by a friend who was getting rid of a no name 40" light bar and 4 cubes. 1 cube doesn't work and the light bar is fogged. I'll see if I can fix the cube and I'll clear up the 40. The 40 will replace the 30 in front and the 30 becomes my reverse light, 2 of the 4 cubes become left/right lights. Prob put 1 cube on the back of the wife's 4runner and if I manage to get the 4th working I'll probably stick on on the trailer. For this trip I'm about 50/50 on hijacking the wife's fridge if I can swing the time.

Anyway by this weekend I have to be done with the rack as we are leaving the following Friday morning.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Roof rack extension is complete.

Putting that tent on was just about the hardest thing I have done on the FJ. I didn't really leave much room to put on bolt on the tent mounting hardware. We had to move the tent to either side of the FJ to start the hardware then we used an air ratchet that fits in tight places to tighten down.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Minor lunch break repair. 2 days ago I went to plug in my USB fan and take a nap in my car at lunch and this happened.

Since the box has a disconnect on the side of it the repair was a simple replace job that I got from amazon today. I had to replace the whole 12v and USB since I managed to crack the frame too.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Time for some more modifications. I picked up a once used 50 QRT ARB for a steal, now the FJ and the 4Runner have fridges. I am going to keep the fridge behind the driver seat, I still have room to have my seat in the position I like and it keeps it out of the rear cargo area.

We are going to head to Big Bend after Christmass and I want to do some better rear cargo management. The single shelf we added to my wife's 4Runner made a world of difference in our NM trip. So I plan on adding 3 shelves on the passenger side, a full height divider for either 2 chairs or our solar suitcase and then an open cargo area. Finally, the top will have 6 or so inches of free space from the door to the roof liner, I am going to add a bungee barrier so we can use that spot for shirt/jacket stuffing area.

Electrically for the fridge, the junction box can take the amperage just fine, I have 2 more 12volt sockets I am going to add and wire to the back of the center console.

I did what I normally do and planned it out. I took some measurements and scaled it in AutoCAD. Today I bought the hardware and Saturday morning I plan on buying the wood and assembling this thing.

Finally, if I have enough time this weekend I am going to permanently remove my rear driver's side seat and make a proper platform for the fridge. Progress pictures to follow.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
I'm not dead, just not quite modding as much as before.

The rack was a success. It was a temporary fix for our big bend trip and it served great as our kitchen.

Recently I upped my battery game with a 2X power 27F battery. 1 battery that has the standby minutes of 2.

I also finished taking out my seat and started making a platform for my fridge and give me dedicated storage under.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Let us know how the storage box/fridge platform turns out, I've thought about doing the same but so far am satisfied with my current setup.
Sorry for the late reply, I have it mocked up in all wood right now and been using it for the past month. I say its totally worth it. You just need to plug the pin that is for locking the seat bottom into place. I did that when I was done so I wouldn't get dust in the cab. I'm going to finally re-frame the rear storage and the fridge area in metal tentatively by the end of this month. More than likely by the end of next month. I'm in the process of doing a lot of small quality of life improvements, I just put in a switch pro and moving all lights over to it along with re configuring my storage options. I'm still waiting for my Atlas 46 tool bag to store my recovery gear in. I have one for my tools in the FJ and love it. I'm waiting for this bag to come in so I get dims of the stuff that is always on board before the big rebuild.

I didn't take any photos of the wooden mock up since all you see is a fridge. The storage gained doesn't sound like much but is a great spot to stash away the kid's extra snacks, bread and plates and such. Frees up a lot of room that was wasted with a with a useless back seat. The wood is strong enough to use but I'm not a huge fan of a fridge full of food being secured by only some wood screws though. I'll probably still use wood at the filler plate but the anchors are going to me metal.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
OK some big updates this last bit started in September and just finished a few days ago.

Part 1: Replacement rear storage.
I made this to replace my wooden frame I have had for 4-5? years. I made it out of 1" 1/16" thk square tube with 4 panels and a 2 logistics tracks recessed in for a sooth surface. The shelf is anchored to the rear cargo mounts not pictured.

Part 2: Swtich Pro
I wired up my existing lightbar and bumper lights to it. I also installed a chase bar that has blinkers at the roof rack level, work style hazards and a reverse light. I also installed 2 side lights for camping. All the lights are set to run with the vehicle off but I set the switchpro to have low power cut off. I'll get pictures of the lights later.

Part 3: Battery #2
The wife wanted a new battery for her 4Runner for her fridge so I got her a stock sized 2xpower battery, oops i got two. I installed a stock sized x2power battery on the passenger firewall. I used a redarc DC/DC charger. Pictures are not wired up. The fridge, radios and constant hot chargers are on this. I left the lights on the oversized stock position battery.

Part 4: New fridge tray
I wasn't going to keep the wood for 5 years like I did with the rear. I used the wood shelf as a template for the metal shelf, I bolted 4 peices of metal to the 4 mounting locations of the wood shelf then tack welded it to my table. Unbolted the wood and have 4 matching anchors of the vehicle. Also the ARB has an option to mount the fridge with out straps, you can take the 4 bolts out of the feet and anchor off of that. Not commonly used but super clean. I left a small shelf area on the side and I'll put something there in the future.

Part 5: DMOS shovel
I backed the kickstarter but since I know how to fab I figured I could make my own mount. I used the 3/8" pin used to hinge out the shovel head as my anchor and mounted it to my rear swingout. I used a quick fist off the trailer to anchor the arm.

Part 6: Non pictured/ not really installed but mounted
Not really an install but now integral to the vehicle, we got a Garmin inreach. We also moved our front runner grill grate to the rear swing out under the trasharoo.

Part 7: Packing smart.
Finally we got almost all of what we normally carry in the trailer rear. We have been over the last year buying higher quality backpacking type equipment to be smaller and lighter with our gear. We have a toilet, jetboil genisis, small jetboil, recovery gear, repair tools, compressor, full kitchen, shower supplies, 11.5 gallons of water in water bricks, food, 3 chairs, 1 (soon 2) tables, ladder, solo stove, clothes and more in the back.

We did a worst case scenario this thanksgiving, we went to go visit the inlaws but on the way we went camping, hunting, had my wife's birthday and celebrated Christmas for the kid down there since we don't travel down to the inlaws at Christmas. We were able to fit everything in the FJ with exception of a large cooler for if we killed anything (we only saw 2 squirrels). So it was camping supplies, a few guns, thanksgiving supplies, christmas gifts, and birthday gifts.

Most of these mods were completed by head lamp after the daylight savings change, I get maybe 30-45 minutes of light after work before it gets dark and on the weekends we have been camping. Polishing out long term camping solution as we are planning a 2 week trip for June to celebrate our 10 year anniversary hitting up NM, AZ, UT and CO. The trip will be 4 weeks with 3 people in the FJ and I think we just about have it set.

So believe it or not... yeah I think the FJ is built up the way we want it. Now time to burn that gas money.

Tentatively -FIN

121 - 131 of 131 Posts