Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve been looking at upgrading my stock headlights. Doing a little research here and there about retrofits vs plug & play led’s. And I’ve found some really helpful information here and a few other places about retrofits in FJ’s. Unfortunately not as much about the newer high end plug & play led’s installed in FJ Cruisers. Like one of my other hobbies, led technology advances every year, getting better and typically less expensive. So I was hoping to get feedback from any of you who might be running some of the newer plug & play led’s out there. For me personally light spread, cutoff and longevity are more important than intensity. From what I’ve seen a good projector retrofit would give the best results. But I’ve also seen some impressive plug & play led’s as well. I feel the light spread & cutoff of the stock FJ lights is pretty good. It’s just rather dim and the color temp is a little dated in appearance. So a good quality led is still in the running for me. I apologize in advance for the vehicle used in the following test video, lol. But it honestly has the closest to the stock FJ’s light reflector I could find using the newer plug & play led’s.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry no, I was actually hoping a few members here might have installed one of them and could give feedback, or even provide pictures of light spread. The three that interest me the most are the Morimoto’s, GTR ultra 2’s and the S-V 4’s. I just can’t seem to find any pictures or videos of people whom have installed them into FJ’s. So just doing a little research before making the investment. Because it’s either going to be $150 to $250 on p&p led’s or $500 plus on retrofit projectors.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I put headlight revolutions plug and play led headlights in my dads 1st gen tundra. They were okay. I only spent $100 on them, but the dust boots they sent me were junk and I didnt bother putting them on and the headlight design isn't very sound. The adjustment they have isnt very secure and I've had to fix it after hitting bumps in the road.

Christmas eve I was bored on a plane and lumawerx was having a sale on their fj specific led pair and I finally went for it. Took me 10 minutes to install and align which is no time compared to some cars. The color temperature looks better than stock halogens. They are pretty bright and come with a 5 year warranty. No fans just heat sinks so they're mud friendly. If you live in a snow state the snow will cake on the headlights and you will have to scrape it off because of the leds lower operating temperature. They're also Phillip's bulbs which if you know anything about Phillip's it's a good thing. I believe lumawerx was actually bought out by Phillip's.

20200114_181841.jpg 20200114_162635.jpg 20200114_181330.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put headlight revolutions plug and play led headlights in my dads 1st gen tundra. They were okay. I only spent $100 on them, but the dust boots they sent me were junk and I didnt bother putting them on and the headlight design isn't very sound. The adjustment they have isnt very secure and I've had to fix it after hitting bumps in the road.

Christmas eve I was bored on a plane and lumawerx was having a sale on their fj specific led pair and I finally went for it. Took me 10 minutes to install and align which is no time compared to some cars. The color temperature looks better than stock halogens. They are pretty bright and come with a 5 year warranty. No fans just heat sinks so they're mud friendly. If you live in a snow state the snow will cake on the headlights and you will have to scrape it off because of the leds lower operating temperature. They're also Phillip's bulbs which if you know anything about Phillip's it's a good thing. I believe lumawerx was actually bought out by Phillip's.

View attachment 1122053 View attachment 1122055 View attachment 1122056

How are you liking the lumawerx LEDs? I'm thinking of getting them. Do the drls still work? How are the high and low beams? Would you recommend them?

·
Registered
125 Posts
How are you liking the lumawerx LEDs? I'm thinking of getting them. Do the drls still work? How are the high and low beams? Would you recommend them?
I like them a lot. The drls are the low beam and work exactly the same as stock halogens. I don't bother using high beams because I dont really like the pattern. Low beam is great and has a good cut off. Really cant beat a 5 year warranty. I think these paired with fog and driving lights are a great choice and look good too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I put the in a few months back. Live the way they look. I get the occasional flash from oncoming traffic, but really only like once every few weeks. And those are just the people that don't like led lol.

Remember, if you're adding any plug and play LEDs at all, be sure to add ferrite clips, or your radio stations will be un-listenable (is that a word?)

H4 LED Headlight Bulbs, Snorda... Amazon.com: H4 LED Headlight Bulbs, Snorda Hi/Lo Beam All-in-One LED Headlights Conversion Kit 6000K 9000 Lumens 40W IP68 Waterproof 9003 HB2 LED Headlight Bulb with Super Bright CSP Chips: Automotive

20190924_054341.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts