Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It used to be easy to see one's PM total in the upper right corner of any page on the forum, but now that's been replaced with the words,
"Your Notifications", and the only number that's there now is the number of unread messages.

I really liked (and relied on) that little spot telling me how many total PMs I had in my PM boxes in order to easily stay on top of the build-up of messages, and be able to go in and deal with it whenever it got close to being full.

Now, in order to get that info, I have to actually go into the user control panel and click on the link for the PM's 'Inbox'.

Could we please have that little readout of that particular piece of info back there in the upper right (or somewhere easily seen at the top or bottom of every page within the forum)?

Thanks. :clap: :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
I have seen that before though. Maybe it's just like that when you have new PMs?

or maybe you just need to upgrade your membership ;)

·
NWFJCC Moderator
2,801 Posts
It's changed for me when I get a PM or if someone posts on my profile page. No problem I get all my messages either way. After I read all my messages it goes back to normal.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
^^^ what he said.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still there for me
When I first saw your response, I said, "Aww, [email protected]!....is it another problem that's just happening to me?"

x2...mine still there.
more "aww [email protected]"

,but then...

I have seen that before though. Maybe it's just like that when you have new PMs?...
hmmm

If you open your messages it will go back to the normal or old view.
...and then I checked it, and that's the deal.
Once every message in my inbox is set to 'read', the display in the upper right goes back to the old way. If I mark an already read message as 'unread', the display changes to this new, annoying way.

Thanks for helping me see what's happening here, guys.

OK. So, I get why it's different now, but I still don't like it. It just started behaving like that sometime recently. Trust me, I've had unread messages in there before and it never did this.

It's actually kinda stupid, because it's kinda like the forum thinks we don't go into our control panel often enough and they're trying to drive traffic in there or something.

I'd rather have it the old way where I can see the current total in the upper right all the time, regardless of whether or not I have any 'unread' ones in there.

Please??? :)

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it is a minor change that won't cause you any problems. I kinda like it.
Ha ha, that's funny :lol:

It's kinda like when....well....it's just like this is what it's like.

Something changed that one person doesn't like, and another person says to them that it "won't cause you any problems" (then why am I hear taking time to say something about it?).

I'm not saying that it ruins my experience of the forum. It certainly doesn't.

However, I don't like it, and I decided to mention it out loud in case it could be changed.

Thanks anyway, Mike. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
12,204 Posts
I noticed the change as well. Now I click on the little arrow beside the number and it will tell you what messages you recevied from PM's to requests. I now prefer this way.

·
Texican
8,572 Posts
It used to be easy to see one's PM total in the upper right corner of any page on the forum, but now that's been replaced with the words,
"Your Notifications", and the only number that's there now is the number of unread messages...
If you open your messages it will go back to the normal or old view.
There are lots of little tweaks that the new version brought with it, some are very noticeable, some are only noticeable when you look for them and all of them are relatively minor. :cheers:

·
Forum Detective
2,273 Posts
Sorry Steven, I didn't mean to minimize your question. I need to realize that some things that are important to others even if they aren't important to me.
Just for fun I went through the options and could not find a way to turn it back to how it once was. It looks, and sounds like from the mods, that the change is a non-changeable one.

Ha ha, that's funny :lol:

It's kinda like when....well....it's just like this is what it's like.

Something changed that one person doesn't like, and another person says to them that it "won't cause you any problems" (then why am I hear taking time to say something about it?).

I'm not saying that it ruins my experience of the forum. It certainly doesn't.

However, I don't like it, and I decided to mention it out loud in case it could be changed.

Thanks anyway, Mike. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I noticed the change as well. Now I click on the little arrow beside the number and it will tell you what messages you recevied from PM's to requests. I now prefer this way.
Yes, click the little arrow and it will give you a break down of your notifications ;)

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This new "feature" came with the latest release of the VBulletin software that the forum runs on. I doubt that this single feature could be changed back by itself, but I don't know for sure. Forum software/updates are waaaay beyond lowly moderators. :)
OK, cool. :)

There are lots of little tweaks that the new version brought with it, some are very noticeable, some are only noticeable when you look for them and all of them are relatively minor. :cheers:
Yep.

Sorry Steven, I didn't mean to minimize your question. I need to realize that some things that are important to others even if they aren't important to me.
Just for fun I went through the options and could not find a way to turn it back to how it once was. It looks, and sounds like from the mods, that the change is a non-changeable one.
No harm, no foul.
I know you meant no ill. :cheers:

Yes, click the little arrow and it will give you a break down of your notifications ;)
Ya, but in that breakdown, it doesn't tell the total number of messages being stored. Could that one item be added to that little drop-down list of details?

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
most likely not :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts