Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Question: In your opinion (guys that have run the trifecta), is the trio of Poison Spider, Golden Spike, and Gold Bar too ambitious to run in my FJ? Sig line shows, but 07, with 3" lift, 34" tires, Warn bumpers front and rear, protection for bash, engine, rear diff and rocker panels, and locking rear.

I have been through about half of Poison Spider (ran out of time and had to turn back) with my previous Land Rover Discovery and am certain the FJ would do fine with everything that I had encountered.

I am going to Moab the beginning of June and would love to make this trail run with a few buddies. Actually more concerned about their JKs with open diffs. Is this a feasible trail run??

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
You will be fine. That was my first trail EVER in my FJ, or any other 4wd vehicle for that matter. When I was in my FJ all I had was a pair of sliders...no lift, bigger tires, or skid plates. Listened and watched my spotters and I came out without a scratch, I even still had my bumper wings on at the end.

It will be a long day though, plan on leaving as early as possible to beat the traffic and hot temps.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You made it through the 3 trails with a stock FJ?? Do you remember how long the trip was? I am thinking about 12 hours.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Late August?! You are even crazier than I am, to go in June.
HOT :smokin:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I actually kind of hope to winch my jeep friends a little.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Just got back two wks ago...you will be fine.....long day but you will be under your time. I agree its in the 8 hr or so.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
You'll be fine! I think it took us about 12 hours with 10 or more rigs..

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great! Ever since beginning Poison Spider and having to turn back, I have wanted to do those three trails. Can't wait. :clap:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did Poison spider last year with a box stock FJ, just lowered the tires to about 15 psi. I did bottom out a few times and hit the tow rings in the front but no damage. It took most of the day to do just PS but it was a pretty busy day.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
You made it through the 3 trails with a stock FJ?? Do you remember how long the trip was? I am thinking about 12 hours.
Here are a few pics from the trail....

Me on Golden Crack...

Skyline Drive...

I believe this is coming down from the Launching Pad...

Gold Bar...near the end...

...and the time frame was around what most people are saying...8-9 hours....and as you can see in the pics the weather might start off crappy, but give it a few minutes/hours and it will change, yet sometimes not for the better. :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the pics - I am getting super psyched to go! Less than a week...........:rocker:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the three trails were great, but long. I have no idea how you would get a stock FJ through without damage though - there had to be a lot of rock stacking! There are places that your only option is to go up or down an 18" ledge.

Good trip. Did Poison Spider, Gold Bar Rim, Golden Spike, Hell's Revenge and Fins and Things. Plenty of new scratches underneath and to my bumpers, but that is what protection is for.

Again, you guys are either better drivers than I am, have better spotters than I do, build a lot of road (rock stack), or you are liars. :lol: I felt like I needed all of 34" tires and 3" of lift to get through without damage.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
18" ledges? no prob as long as you go up and down them with steady creeping momentum :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They weren't a problem for me, just not seeing how you would get a stock FJ with worse clearance and worse approach and departure angles over them without damage?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You know, when I think about it, 18" really isn't that high. Maybe more like 2' or 3'. Anyway, I did fine with it, but found myself thinking more than once "how in the heck are people getting stock vehicles through here without body damage??"

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Well the three trails were great, but long. I have no idea how you would get a stock FJ through without damage though - there had to be a lot of rock stacking! There are places that your only option is to go up or down an 18" ledge.

Good trip. Did Poison Spider, Gold Bar Rim, Golden Spike, Hell's Revenge and Fins and Things. Plenty of new scratches underneath and to my bumpers, but that is what protection is for.

Again, you guys are either better drivers than I am, have better spotters than I do, build a lot of road (rock stack), or you are liars. :lol: I felt like I needed all of 34" tires and 3" of lift to get through without damage.
Glad you enjoyed the Triple, it is a great trail....you seen my pics, no liar here :lol:

Post up some of your pics, I would like to see them.

They weren't a problem for me, just not seeing how you would get a stock FJ with worse clearance and worse approach and departure angles over them without damage?
Having an excellent person spotting I believe made the difference. I trusted her(Mrs. MoabRat) and even at times I was like no way I could do that....but seeing her smile and give you the thumbs up after an obstacle was the best feeling for a newbie like me.

You know, when I think about it, 18" really isn't that high. Maybe more like 2' or 3'. Anyway, I did fine with it, but found myself thinking more than once "how in the heck are people getting stock vehicles through here without body damage??"
It was my first time out and the trail veterans knew that, so they took care of me. These people were complete strangers that I met at the trailhead that morning, but I trusted them (for some reason :lol:) and in turn we had a great time.

18" ledges? no prob as long as you go up and down them with steady creeping momentum :)
Yep...slow...and slower....and knowing/learning when to use the "Moab bump".

-Devin

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well nice work.

You know, maybe it is my inexperience with the IFS that made things uncomfortable for me at times. I have had and wheeled with IH Scouts, Jeeps, and Land Rovers - all solid axle vehicles. This is my first IFS and learning to conquer the tougher trails with IFS is definatley like learning to wheel again. Completely different feel!!! It is hard to get used to being on three wheels most of the day. :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts