Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

241 - 260 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
Looks great James! Do I detect a hint of completion? :browsmiley:

The list in the previous post says otherwise! :rofl:
Misleading :lol: Unfortunately I didn't exactly get stuff done in my timeline. I knew I wasn't going to fully droop out on the obstacles out there so I risked it a bit. I still have many goodies to get on but I may wait until my budget allows a fabricator to finish or I can invest in a welder myself. Maybe my Christmas present to myself? :thinkerg: Everything else bolt on will be done in the interim: Y-pipe, sway bar, oil coolers etc..

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #246 (Edited)
Re: I see silver!

To do list:
Addco rear sway bar
Amp Research power steps
Doug Thorley Y pipe
Bud Built mid skid to high clearance custom trans skid
Weld limit straps and reinforcements
✔ OEM Oil Cooler
Hayden 676 /677 coolers /trans flush
✔ Centric Stoptech rear pads/braided lines
Wiring panel: distribution block/lights/relays
✔ LT front
✔ Diff drop
✔ Jersey built hubs
✔ Ebc front 7000 pads / slotted rotors / braided lines
✔ 17" wheels with Mastercraft MXT tires
156,500 miles: needed an oil change. . So why not get a project of the list? Had this on the backburner for awhile. Got off my rearend and installed the OE Tacoma tow package cooler/ heat exchanger on my '07. Nice to keep the oil temps steady and cool. I've discussed with others and those with the '10+ should look in to an inline heat exchanger from a Landcruiser or Prado since the oil filter is bottom mounted. Thanks to TinCan who posted the original install on his FJ.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
Thanks for posting the video buddy. I was debating doing the same this weekend with an oil change. I think you've convinced me. How much coolant do you think you lost? I've got 2 gal, figured that will be plenty. I think I'm a little low currently anyway.
Yasss. It was easier than I thought. Keep in mind, I couldn't find a 12mm Allen (t60 torx) wrench and missing my 1-3/16 (30mm) socket so I had to pick up. I've worked on cars most of my adult life and I have not come across those sizes much lol. 1 gallon of coolant/distilled should do. I didn't drain that much out the pet****. Most spilled from the lower hose and water inlet pipe.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
1/17/19 Update: About 8k miles and several days on easy trails, you can see the OEM cam tabs bowing out. On the passenger side I had to hammer flat before a road trip. Finally have a fabricator lined up to finish the chassis stuff. He's a fellow yota guy so should be fairly simple but trying to schedule when it's not flash flooding over here. :thinkerg:

Also I had a mishap on the freeway while on my roadtrip. A battle tested Nissan Sentra merged into my lane and damaged the rear door panels so I guess it's time to go wide body lol. Slow updates but this isn't a race right?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
The Total Chaos cam tab kit takes some time to install, no fabrication just tab A in slot B, some drilling and grinding, welding.

Cost for fabricator install could be as much as setting up your own welding gear... YOU CAN DO IT!

...and all the other little welding tasks can come in in house, zap here, burn there.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
... YOU CAN DO IT!

...and all the other little welding tasks can come in in house, zap here, burn there.
Unfortunately time and space is non existent at the moment (as I type this at work). I'll definitely get a setup when the garage situation frees up. I know, excuses :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
The Total Chaos cam tab kit takes some time to install, no fabrication just tab A in slot B, some drilling and grinding, welding.

Cost for fabricator install could be as much as setting up your own welding gear... YOU CAN DO IT!

we need to have mod day at thane's house.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #253 (Edited)
However, after putting on a beefier ADDCO rear swaybar, it pretty much solves my body roll problem so i'll leave it to further future. However @Iconic_ did find this swaybar will reduce the rear articulation by 1.5".
Bringing up an old convo, I've gotta say that I didn't think the difference would be so dramatic. Originally I was going to order the Currie anti rock but due to the bar size lacked effectiveness (that's what she said?). I wasn't exactly a believer but then I installed an Addco 2301 7/8" rear bar. Holy schnikes smack me in the face. You were right and don't need a front bar with just the larger rear. Without any bars, I felt like I was plowing when I turned. Now, smooth as glass. It even improved braking and accelerating when the weight transfers which is what I was looking for on/off road.

I haven't seen anyone else install stiffer/larger endlinks other the longer Skyjacker. I'm not lifted very high so running an expensive link was not preferred. After talking to @bazross, he kindly measure the stock link and it looked close to the Prado/GX front sway bar link. All I know is that it's heavy duty compared to the OE. Very happy with the suspension so far.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Gday JP.
I've built a HD rear sway bar link, using M12 diameter bolt, and hardware
It's also longer than stock, longer than a skyjacker...if I remember ..correctly....about 220mm
It's also a disconnect....about 2 inches
Allows more flex off road...similar to the front disco's.
But solid on road.
BYO.....

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Bringing up an old convo, I've gotta say that I didn't think the difference would be so dramatic. Originally I was going to order the Currie anti rock but due to the bar size lacked effectiveness (that's what she said?). I wasn't exactly a believer but then I installed an Addco 3701 7/8" rear bar. Holy schnikes smack me in the face. You were right and don't need a front bar with just the larger rear. Without any bars, I felt like I was plowing when I turned. Now, smooth as glass. It even improved braking and accelerating when the weight transfers which is what I was looking for on/off road.

I haven't seen anyone else install stiffer/larger endlinks other the longer Skyjacker. I'm not lifted very high so running an expensive link was not preferred. After talking to @bazross, he kindly measure the stock link and it looked close to the Prado/GX front sway bar link. All I know is that it's heavy duty compared to the OE. Very happy with the suspension so far.

Great feedback guys. Another mod to copy...

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
I can't seem to find this model number online. The only one listed for FJs is #2301 ...?
That's the one :wink something 01... I was going off my memory which definitely needs a tune up.

But solid on road.
BYO.....

I didn't mean to exclude you buddy. I know you have your BYO DIY link. I should have mentioned that hardly anyone upgrades their OE link that has stock height rear like mine but wants an off the shelf solution.

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
That's the one :wink something 01... I was going off my memory which definitely needs a tune up.

I didn't mean to exclude you buddy. I know you have your BYO DIY link. I should have mentioned that hardly anyone upgrades their OE link that has stock height rear like mine but wants an off the shelf solution.
G'Day JP,
didnt think you were excluding me... hahahaha
its cool....
Using GX / Prado links is a great upgrade....

Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
What do you mean about the Currie? I figured I'd go with them or Ruffstuff once I get everything on mine sorted out.
The max available Currie bar diameter is 1". Overall it seemed due to a bad design, having to run 16" blade arms connected to the 1" on the Currie set up was not enough. If you're willing to mount it closer so arms have to be shorter, maybe there will be less leverage from axle. Several FJ'ers on here said after install it felt like there was no sway bar whatsoever. Our own forum guru @sbechtold had both Currie and Ruffstuff. It was worth it for him to sell his Currie and replace with the Ruffstuff. If the Currie had a few more options like additional bar sizes, I'm sure there would be no issue. I suspect the bar placement might help, but there wasn't one really solid positive review for the Currie. Whereas I know the Addco bar is different in design and price, but I've never heard a negative review about the performance, with plenty of positive feedback.

Whenever I decide I have a budget for long travel rear end, then I'll be going with Ruffstuff front and rear. The option for custom bar sizes could only help, where the Currie may come up short. You'll probably get around to it before I do, so it'd be interesting to see which direction you head.

241 - 260 of 295 Posts