Votes: 12 50.0%
  • No Notch, Smooth Ring

Votes: 12 50.0%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The protective ring on my TRD beadlock wheels are pretty beat up after all the wheeling. They are also a little too shiny to my liking. So I decided to get some new rings designed.

I decided to make the ring into 6 sections for a few reasons:

1. Save cost. If i cut one solid ring, its gonna take up a large piece of material and all material inside the ring will be wasted. As i break them up into small sections, I can nest them tightly on the blank material.

2. Cheaper replacement. Down the road as I bang them up, I can replace one section at a time instead of a full ring.

3. Water drainage. Any one with simulated beadlock wheel knows, water will get trapped inside the lip and leave marks and sometimes damage the coating, especially on the spare. The grooves between section will let water drain out.

My new design will be hard coat anodized so it will have a matte dark grey color (matches the light bezel on my bumper). I'll also use black stainless steel screws. Now, one thing I can't really made up my mind and want to hear your inputs. Which design below do you like better? The one with notches or no notch. Let me know what you think! Also if you have any better ideas please share them as well!

Notch.JPG

No Notch.JPG

Notch w Tire.JPG

No Notch w Tire.JPG

·
Vendor
2,136 Posts
I personally like the NO notches

Reactions: HeisKai

·
Admin
7,666 Posts
They both look awesome.

My personal preference would likely be the No notches one.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Point number two came to mind right away when I seen the sections..that’s brilliant! I like the notches for the same reason as @Iconic_ . The way I see it, you’re taken no the time to design something custom, and the notches add that custom touch on your one-off design

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I think the notches add some individuality to it without being too blingy

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
Notched. And good idea for drainage. I cut several small grooves in the back of my rings for the same reason.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd go for the notches one just because I'd want it to stand out a little more but I really like both too.

Those look like some expensive parts to me. I'd feel bad about scraping them up. :D (says the guy running stock wheels with tons of rash)
Point number two came to mind right away when I seen the sections..that’s brilliant! I like the notches for the same reason as @Iconic_ . The way I see it, you’re taken no the time to design something custom, and the notches add that custom touch on your one-off design

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks guys. Yeah I put the notches in to make it a little different, but then I tried removing the notches and liked the clean look as well. Yeah these parts won't be very cheap. Toyota put a tiny lip on around the OD of the wheel for aligning the ring, which means I also need to put a groove on the back of the ring to clear it. So need to machine both sides... I hope to get the price lower the buying new TRD rings, which is about $70+ each.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Why make replacement rings from aluminum at all? The form over function in me just wants to cnc the ring sections from hdpe or similar to protect the wheels and make them easy/cheap to replace. Care to share your files? :) (unless someone local want to loan me a spare trd wheel for a few hours.)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why make replacement rings from aluminum at all? The form over function in me just wants to cnc the ring sections from hdpe or similar to protect the wheels and make them easy/cheap to replace. Care to share your files? :) (unless someone local want to loan me a spare trd wheel for a few hours.)
That's a good idea man. I know level 8 pro wheels made their rings out of plastics and only cost $40 to replace. Aluminum is more of a luxury. I'll see how much aluminum will cost me first. The ring is a simple geometry. These measurements are all you need: 12 bolts equally spaced on 412 mm circle. Ring OD = 440 mm. I picked 0.375 thick, slightly over stock.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just voted (no notches) and it made the poll 50%-50%. :rofl:

If there'd be any economy of scale to making several sets at a time, I may be interested in purchasing a set of segmented rings.
Haha nice. And yeah there is definitely economy of scale. If the quote turned out reasonable, i'll let you know!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts