Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to diagnose what has become an epidemic here in Arizona (and from what I hear elsewhere). The question is:

Have you had your rear LCA bolt/nut loosen up (or worse completely come off)?
Which Bolt?
If yes, what LCAs were you using?
What have you done to fix it?

I'll start:
Yes (several times)
Always the ones on the axle.
Allpro ultimate LCAs
Loctite, new bolts/nuts, and torqued down to spec several times

I'm not saying that the LCAs were necessarily the problem, but I'm trying to determine the factors involved with this apparent issue.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Never had mine loosen up
All the bolts are tight
Stock links:simmadown:

·
Registered
51 Posts
How many times would you say this has happened? How often? Has it only been a problem with your AllPro LCA or have you had the same problem with the original? Your starting to make me paranoid..

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many times would you say this has happened? How often? Has it only been a problem with your AllPro LCA or have you had the same problem with the original? Your starting to make me paranoid..
We've had to tighten at least 4 times and one time we completely lost the nut all together.
It seems to come loose only after wheeling. Nothing too major, but times at least the rear end sees some articulation.
It's only happened with our all pro setup, it never happened with stock.

You'll know when it happens. The vehicle will rear torque steer like MAD on the freeway (pull one way under throttle, the other when you let off). I have no doubt that there are people that have never experienced this issue, so I'm not trying to create mass hysteria, but I've seen it enough times in my vehicle and others here to make me want to nail down the issue.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
Lost a nut and its gotten lose a couple times. Trying to remember what end I lost I think it was the axle side on the drivers side.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
The round black ones. There not on there site anymore.

·
Banned
3,591 Posts
I have the allpro square tube ones....never an issue.....

But the links we redid on the Sedonafest run(no names) were a set of freshly installed allpro ultimates

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
The round black ones. There not on there site anymore.
Ok those are the same ones I'm using. So that's two for two so far..

Anyone else?
I have the same ones no problems...going to go knock on wood though:rofl: I tighten all my bolts before wheeling every time:D

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the same ones no problems...going to go knock on wood though:rofl: I tighten all my bolts before wheeling every time:D
hah, well that hardly counts then, if they need to be tightened every time before you go out! ;-)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
No actually come to think of it..its never needed to be tightened..never has backed off even slightly..sorry I should have made that clear!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I have the AllPro Pro links with the Johnny joints. I've had the lowers on for a while and just installed the uppers the other day. Never had an issue with the lowers coming loose, and I've wheeled it a good deal. In fact... I wanted to install the lower link skid plates and I couldn't break the nut loose on the LCA. Someone must have tightened it with an impact wrench because we couldn't break it loose even with a three foot cheat bar. Have you guys that have had issues used any blue thread locker? That should prevent it from happening again.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
I have the AllPro Pro links with the Johnny joints. I've had the lowers on for a while and just installed the uppers the other day. Never had an issue with the lowers coming loose, and I've wheeled it a good deal. In fact... I wanted to install the lower link skid plates and I couldn't break the nut loose on the LCA. Someone must have tightened it with an impact wrench because we couldn't break it loose even with a three foot cheat bar. Have you guys that have had issues used any blue thread locker? That should prevent it from happening again.
You should loosen by the bolt, the nut has ridges on it to make it "lock" in place. Don't know what this type of "lock nut" is called, but very effective. And no I have never had problems with these coming loose, I have ICON LCA's.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Nylon lock nuts I highly recommend changing out most nuts with these. My upper links... the one above the gas can, actually came off and got wedged in there one time..replaced all of them with the nylons and they been holding strong.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts