Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

How much did you pay above/below MSRP?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
This poll will be skewed depending on how far after March 27 you purchased your FJ Cruiser. The early buyers rarely, if ever, were able to purchase less than MSRP, while the later buyers might be able to wield some negotiating power. Most that ordered their FJ's prior to March 27 have taken delivery by now, but few had any opportunity to specify the build and port options they wanted. These early buyers pretty much bought what Toyota and dealers deemed to be the most profitable set up and were charged MSRP, and in some cases more. These people are the pioneers that led the way and proved that the switch is all that is needed to make ATRAC functional, discovered the shortcomings of XM radio, learned that TRD wheels/tires option equaled the purchase cost of 10 tires and wheels but received only 5 tires and wheels, identified and solved the roof rack noise, and learned that even 285/70R17 tires will rub. Additionally they discovered without aftermarket windshields, the Toyota replacement cost is astronomical. Options that we are still waiting for such as (1) hood protector would have saved many paint chips, (2) billet fuel door would have not necessitated purchase of locking gas caps in a $3.50 per gallon market, and (3) air dam would have solved how to lash a kayak to the roof. These pioneers braved the wilderness to blaze the trail and answer our questions, while paying dearly for the right. I say that the poll be reissued with another amnesty choice that says "purchased prior to May 27th so that others that follow could know the real market value". Hats off the Pioneers and thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree with Law Dog on many points and as a result of all of the great information here I have put off my purchase for at least 30 days or more for now. Another point to consider is whether or not there was a trade involved as this can greatly affect net cost. In my only other post I mentioned that the dealer had offered me 2600 under NADA which would have been an automatic net increase of 2600 over MSRP even though the deal was written at dealer MSRP. So to break it down even more you would have to have this infomation to determine where your net deal was in relation to MSRP. My advice is to order a vehicle without options that you could order and install later thus saving yourself some serious cash. Good luck

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Got cheated out of my FJ and paid about 5K under invoice on my Tacoma TRD.

They were trying to stick me with over $4300 over MSRP on my FJ. To whomever got my yellow UP#2.... I hope it's treating you well. But, I'm so glad I bought the Taco - I've already moved like 5 people since I've had it which would have been a raging pain in the ass with the FJ.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I paid $2000 under MSRP on May 14th but they won't do it again. My dad tried to purchase one from the them last week. They'll take $1000 off, that's it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I took advantage of one of the two times in the year when it seams you can make a deal (Memorial Day). It also helps to have a cash deal. If this did not work I was willing to wait for the second best buying time (Labor Day). I found the dealerships with a lot of staff and very little customers around here. I think it is important to note what is MSRP. Here in South Fl there is a $3K-$5K mark up on all Toyoya. I was able to get this dropped plus an additional $1200 so I felt luck. Most other owners I have talked to have paid full sticker (Including the mark up). I don't consider the mark up MSRP but the dealers around here seem to. I used the Toyota Web site to arrive at the MSRP price. We also have a lot of fake option packages around here that include such things as first oil change, loaner car service and paint sealant. When I saw these I though I was back in the 80's.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Paid $1400 over MSRP. Had to really work hard to get a good trade on my Dodge Magnum with only 7000m on the clock. Managed to do it but it took 4 hours of haggling back and forth. I did not enjoy the experience. I don't think I will ever buy another vehicle from this Toyota dealer in Florida ever again. They were so full of it! They new nothing about the car, I had to show them. Plus because I am a "girl" they thought they could talk a load of C**P and I would believe them, well......they thought wrong! another thing$699 for a Toyoguard package - what a load of hogwash, paint sealand??first service?? under carraige protector?? window etching?????? if done by yourself total would be around $100/200. I put running boards, passanger seat armrest, sirius radio, tailpipe chrome tip, mats, security trunk cargo cover and cargo net. total amount $468.00 Toyota would have charged over $1000 for this.
End of the day, I am extremely happy with my FJ.
4X2 FJ Diamond Black
Jeep Rubicon Red
Yamaha XT

·
Registered
1 Posts
They kept playing the game with the above MSRP and I walked out several time until they got it to MSRP, I was a true game of lies to buy this truck. Becareful with the tire warranty also, they told me there was no tread ware restrictions and I read the agreement in front of them and proved them wrong. I got the rim upgrade and Pirelli tires, nice touch

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd be willing to be that a good majority of people that bought their FJ for under MSRP, especially more than 500 under MSRP had a trade in involved. Many of these buyers may have actually paid MSRP or more in reality because this cash came out of their trade value (undervalued) even though on the purchase order it willl show below MSRP on their FJ. I was a car salesman many years in the past was always amazed at how gullible people could be. When trading in a car many people forget about equity (down payment) that they have in a car. For example if you initially bought your trade in for 20,000 and put a 2,000 down payment and financed the rest. You decide you want trade this car for an FJ, and the dealer wholesale trade value on this car is 12,000 but you owe only 10,000. The dealer feeds you a bunch of BS about how special of customer you are and offer you 10,000 for your trade and will sell you an FJ for 1,000 below MSRP. Sounds like a good deal?, seems like they are giving what you owe on your trade and selling you an FJ for below MSRP? NO!!, don't forget about the 2,000 down payment-- this is cash equity that you have in the car and are losing if you only getting 10,000 for you trade. In the end you would actually be paying 1,000 over invoice (you recoup $1000 of your $2000 down payment by the discount on the FJ. The key lesson, when trading a car you aim to get your payoff value + any downpayment when you bought that car. Anything less you will be losing money, Unfortunately, this is the case with the majority of people when they trade a car in. You are always better of selling the car on your own, for the average $15,000 car the stealers usually give you 3-4,000 below what you could sell it for.
Also, there is no accurate way of the typical customer knowing that their trade in is worth. KBB, black book etc. are usually not very accurate and the stealers with often use these to make you think your getting a good deal. Most dealers determine trade value based upon what similar cars are selling for at auctions in recent weeks not supposed "invoice" prices found on the internet and KBB etc.
Fact: dealers typically have a higher profit margin on used cars compared to new, so buyer beware!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I guess if you go by the web (Toyota site) MSRP then we got under that by 2K. But we were lucky, it was late at night, nobody there, the last FJ of their first shipment and my wife was nine months pregnant and not feeling well. I think they felt bad, but whatever works...right.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I paided $500 under msrp and was pretty happy with that being that I was getting it in march , the first month they came out

·
Registered
1 Posts
MSRP here was exactly what the Toyota website had listed plus $95 more in "special dealer fees". Got $595 off of that and exactly what edmunds.com and kelly's blue book listed as the trade in value on my 99 Jeep Cherokee that had 150,000 miles on it. Got it in the middle of may. Hated to pay that much, but I drive past the dealership on my way to work every day and they have been selling them as fast as they get them in- mine had just come in the day I bought it and I was the first and only one to test drive it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
MSRP, but my husband got them to throw in a 2 year service plan for me (which made the owner mad and he threatened the salesman if that ever happened again). Painful to pay sticker, but worth it for the great vehicle!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I paid $700 under MSRP 6spd fully loaded Sun Fusion, and the dealer had to bring it in as a locate from NJ to NY. He located it on Thursday 6/22 and I took delivery on Friday 6/23. A very easy deal and the dealer was great.
I love this truck. :)

1 - 20 of 116 Posts