Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This being my first summit, I don't know if this has been done in the past - I checked the posts, but didn't find anything on the topic.

The thought occurred to me that it could be useful if we could have some of the medical / paramedic attendees spread amongst the trail groups.

This might allow for dealing with the immediately obvious / exigent needs, but also for dealing with any unexpected issues of any attendees with special medical needs - at least until the other pros arrive.

I'm a 20-year paramedic - I'm bringing my full SWAT medic bag & litter, as well as my high-angle rope gear.

To reiterate - this would not be for running "sick call" in the morning, but for those bothersome SHTF moments. :)

Whatcha think? :cheers:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
This being my first summit, I don't know if this has been done in the past - I checked the posts, but didn't find anything on the topic.

The thought occurred to me that it could be useful if we could have some of the medical / paramedic attendees spread amongst the trail groups.

This might allow for dealing with the immediately obvious / exigent needs, but also for dealing with any unexpected issues of any attendees with special medical needs - at least until the other pros arrive.

I'm a 20-year paramedic - I'm bringing my full SWAT medic bag & litter, as well as my high-angle rope gear.

To reiterate - this would not be for running "sick call" in the morning, but for those bothersome SHTF moments. :)

Whatcha think? :cheers:
Wow. I don't know if they will have the organizational power to implement it for this round, and I wonder if there are any legal/liability issues with such a thing, but that's a great idea.

With most attendees already having picked their trail runs/times, it would seem like it could take a lot of wrangling to get the EMTs all distributed appropriately if it were to happen.

I call dibs though. :lol: (i.e. if you aren't already too attached to whatever trail runs you're signed up for, I'll send you the list of the ones I'm leading so you can join in and be our EMT) :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Para, thats a great idea, thanks for volunteering. You are now signed up for 70 different runs over the three days....lol!

In all seriousness, we do suggest that all attendees keep some sort of first aid kit with them while on the trails. We would also suggest that if you do have medical training to please let your trail leader know so that if there is a problem they will know who to call on.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Take some red tape and stick a Red Cross on your window.
might not be a bad idea actually... if the willing EMS/healthcare professionals feel comfortable making their presence known.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Hmmmmm... got me thinkin'...

A buddy of mine bought an old rescue and put "AMBIVALENCE" on it...:lol:
Of course, you're thinking more like this...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great thread and idea.

My Wife is an RN and we will have an EMT kit at the Twin Peaks. Willing, trained and happy to help with the basic stuff. I'm a First Responder so if the SHTF, I can and will step in but will defer to more trained, competent individuals when appropriate. Some other contact info.

All Emergencies in all locations: 911

FJ Summit 800 Number: This is still TBD but once active, it will ring all of the directors cell phones simultaneously. Please call immediately after 911 in an emergency.

Ouray
Ouray Sheriff: (970) 325-7272
Ouray Police: (970) 325-7068
Ouray EMS: (970) 325-7275
Ouray Fire: (970) 325-7069

Silverton
San Juan County Sheriff: (970) 387-5531
Silverton Fire: (970) 387-5023

Telluride
San Miguel County Sheriff: (970) 728-1911
Telluride Fire: (970) 728-3801

All Emergencies in all locations: 911

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
If we gather this information, we can easily print out a copy for reference at HQ noting on which runs these medical personnel are located.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am a Trauma Nurse, from a high volume, inner city Level 1 trauma center...if it has been done I have seen it...and I would LOVE to help out some wheelers if need be!:rocker:
GT

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
Well I'll tell ya what, after reading this thread, if one's in need of a gall bladder removal on some gravel country road, Ouray sounds like the place to be. :lol:

Seriously though, good to know these people are out there. Heart attacks happen all the time.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
If the medical personnel are mentioned during pre-trail run briefings, I'm not sure any vehicle markings would be necessary.

On the other hand, and, perhaps a little over-the-top, but should we consider something like magnetic signs ~ 6"x6" with a Red Cross or Caduceus emblem on a white background with the letters underneath "EVENT MEDICAL"? I mention the Red Cross and Caduceus only because the Star of Life may have legal attachments to it.

For that matter, similar signs designating event staff and trail leaders might be appropriate too.

I don't know, just thinking out loud.:cheers:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
If the medical personnel are mentioned during pre-trail run briefings, I'm not sure any vehicle markings would be necessary.

On the other hand, and, perhaps a little over-the-top, but should we consider something like magnetic signs ~ 6"x6" with a Red Cross or Caduceus emblem on a white background with the letters underneath "EVENT MEDICAL"? I mention the Red Cross and Caduceus only because the Star of Life may have legal attachments to it.

For that matter, similar signs designating event staff and trail leaders might be appropriate too.

I don't know, just thinking out loud.:cheers:
Good idea for the medics.
They already do magnetic signs for the trail leaders.

They're just about 8x8"

So, I'm sure it wouldn't be too much of a stretch. Of course, someone would have to pay for them (I'd donate).

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
In the past FJS has spend quite a bit of time discussing safety, we have distribute important numbers, to the trail leaders and, thankfully, have had only minor incidents and needed an ambulance once for an attendee that passed out ( altitude) at the big top.

Maybe Parapyropig or others would volunteer to step up and formalize a safety plan and action list for distribution and discussion at the trail leaders meetings? This could be very helpful. I have already distributed an incident document for discussion at the trail head for groups. I recently attended a driving event at Ford's test track in Dearborn. a half hour was used discussing driving safety and driving within your own limits ( which I, of course, ignored). A similar thing could be good for FJS.

Also, my Dad died at 52. I bought a defibrillator at 52. I keep it on-board at the FJSummit. Hope no one ever needs it. :cheers:

·
Vendor
1,464 Posts
Mrs.PureFJCruiser.com here. I am sneaking into this thread while the husband is away. First and foremost not only are you guys funny, you're awesome. I truly appreciate this tread and your attitudes.

Heart attacks and other rotten medical issues are trending in my parents house this year. Both my parents are thankful to be here. They've heard Ray and I talk of Ouray and the wonderful crowd it draws for so long, they decided to tag along for Summit No. 7. They are released by their doctors and we couldn't deny them after all they've been through, so here goes.

The extra attendees means another (non-FJ) car and I have to white knuckle the million dollar highway, so it might be ME you have to rescue - ha- but let's hope not.

We'd LOVE it if you guys stop by our booth and introduce yourselves -in general -and then please reveal your medical expertise - just in case. {grin}
We're bringing along portable oxygen - as we have never used it before so we think we're prepared?!

Drive safe everyone and we look forward to meeting you!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"We're bringing along portable oxygen - as we have never used it before so we think we're prepared?!"

[Data voice]I lack sufficient information to form a cogent hypothesis[/Data voice] :lol:

Seriously - it might be - I don't know what your needs are. O2 is just a tool in the toolbox; depends on the job.

Not to brag, but I'm bringing the skills & tools needed to pretty much treat everything from mass casualty multisystems traumas to resurrecting the (freshly) dead.

Looking forward to seeing y'all.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As to making any sort of formalize plan, I think we should just stick to treating things episodically as they occur. Anything too more formal than that, we risk going past the Good Samaritan Act, and start hanging out our own shingles as independent medical providers.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
I helped lead trails for several years at the Easter Safari in Moab. The club made sure that the Trail Leader, and on the bigger groups of vehicles, the mid or tail gunner had a First Aid Kit. Then when each trail stopped to air up and the leader gave his little speech of what would be happening for the day, he would mention that he had a kit and ask if anyone was a trained responder that would be willing to help out if needed. Usually people would speak up and say that they had training at work or I was an EMT or I'm a nurse etc. Then if something happened they could be called on the CB. The groups aren't that big so it worked good and there wasn't any decals or paperwork to worry about. Also knowing that there was or wasn't anyone trained let the leader know that depending on what happened, he may be alone and need to phone for help right away, or he had someone to back him up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts