Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:thinkerg: CAI, OEM Filter, 2010 Built In CAI or NEW TRD CAI for 2010+. Hmmmmm, All these equipment connected to the fender to suck air only, Right !! Now, Instead of just sucking only,why not re-direct the air input to the front and force the air in. Now you have a Poor Man version of a Turbo Charger. This is somewhat achieve by funneling in Air, running just a straight pipe will only achieve small effect but funneling might yield a better result. I'd attach an image of a funnel, more so to visualize (or try to) air coming in.:thinkerg: Now in between, let's put a device to make the air swirl making a tornado effect, now we have a spinning force air going in to the engine. Make sure, that no large debris enter the funnel area otherwise its pointless, better be safe than sorry. Feels like Physics 101. Now Remember this is only a concept and have not tried it yet my FJ, so the caveat is "Try at your own Risk". :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts
Conceptually you have recreated "The Tornado" which suckered millions into thinking the same thing. A Turbo compresses (making the air more dense) the air and forces it into the engine at a much higher rate and Psi than can be achieved by "Ram Air"

At first glance I thought this thread was going to be about attaching a leaf blower, hair dryer, or computer fan to the intake. All of which have been tried and dont work.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Drag racers do this sort of thing all the time. I'm with eurovic on the tornado part but ram-air can make a little more power. You may be able to use the fake air inlet on the hood. I'm sure someone's tried that already. A snorkel may pressurize the incoming air to some extent too. A similar idea to try is to put the air inlet at the base of the windshield. There's a high pressure area there.

·
Registered
353 Posts
My Kawasaki ZX 14 has "ram air" and it's good for about 10hp at the wheel when at speed. The problem is the speed req'd is faster than most people have driven an FJ. There's also a pressure sensor in the airbox so the ECU know the diff between static and forced air......

PS the legendary "tornado" stops workin the instant the air flow hits a corner or the throttle plate. But what the hey, they made millions off the ones born every min.....

·
Registered
835 Posts
What you need is a scramjet intake mounted on the front. Once you achieve mach 7 the pressure will increase to the point where you will need bigger injectors and a back up fuel source. You can do the Baja 500 in under an hour.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
My Kawasaki ZX 14 has "ram air" and it's good for about 10hp at the wheel when at speed. The problem is the speed req'd is faster than most people have driven an FJ. There's also a pressure sensor in the airbox so the ECU know the diff between static and forced air......

PS the legendary "tornado" stops workin the instant the air flow hits a corner or the throttle plate. But what the hey, they made millions off the ones born every min.....
Curious how this was proven, Dyno? Even on a dyno with fans you aren't simiulating correctly what the intake would actually see on the street. Just curious to see how you determined you gained 10hp at speed :cheers: Most of what I see is mfg claims that for some reason the public buys into, but rarely anyone validates...and when they do, they are usually quite dissapointed.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Curious how this was proven, Dyno? Even on a dyno with fans you aren't simiulating correctly what the intake would actually see on the street. Just curious to see how you determined you gained 10hp at speed :cheers: Most of what I see is mfg claims that for some reason the public buys into, but rarely anyone validates...and when they do, they are usually quite dissapointed.
Kawasaki (IIRC, or one of the big buck tuners) strapped a ZX-14 to a portable dyno and stuck it in a wind tunnel. The HP #s started climbing at about 70mph...... A copy of the dyno run was posted on one of the forums.

Hell, it was on the internet so it must be true.... :bigthumb: :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
:lol: Turbochargers use exhaust gases. Supercharger would be a little closer but still not right since you're not talking about a forced / powered induction of air.

Even with a hood mounted "ram" intake the effect on intake would be minimal until you're at a pretty high rate of speed. I could certainly envision a front end or hood mounted intake being superior to our fender well intake at just about any speed . . . but especially higher speeds. However, unless it is just for fair weather use (such as drag racing) any intake designed to take advantage of this would also need to prevent the "elements" from getting into the filter or engine. Having to design with this is mind would subtract from the would-be advantages.

·
Registered
223 Posts
haha there is one conceptual problem here, when you force air through a small hole to increase velocity, the pressure decrease proportionally, thats how Venturi's work. wiki venturi effect.

I like SonicFJ's idea, but that only works when you get past a third of the speed of sound, anyone get there fj to 230 mph yet? There defiantly is a market for chrome funnels on the grill of an fj.:rocker:

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
haha there is one conceptual problem here, when you force air through a small hole to increase velocity, the pressure decrease proportionally, thats how Venturi's work. wiki venturi effect.

I like SonicFJ's idea, but that only works when you get past a third of the speed of sound, anyone get there fj to 230 mph yet? There defiantly is a market for chrome funnels on the grill of an fj.:rocker:

:cheers:
Seems like some folks paid attention in physics. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Not sure if this really helped but, at the drag strip. The other old trick was the "ice bath" for incoming air. Theory is colder air is denser and therefore provides more power.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Not sure if this really helped but, at the drag strip. The other old trick was the "ice bath" for incoming air. Theory is colder air is denser and therefore provides more power.
I remember the dragsters doing that. Same principle as spraying the intercooler with NOS to cool down the incoming charged air.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts