Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems alot of the brackets, nuts, bolts, fasteners, brake line fittings etc are all rusty. My 16 years old Ohio rust-belt 4Runner and 20 year old other Toyotas have hardware in better condition than a 2 year old FJ. Your plating and coatings have taken a serious quality dive. The seam welds all along the frame have already lost their coating and are rusty.

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
Welcome to the world of cars made in last few years. Every year that passes is every year a company tries to save a buck. Cheaper, weaker, and cheaper and did I mention cheaper?. It's the way of the world my friend.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
well rust never sleeps, and its only going to get worse. Bust out the wire brush and rattle can.And post pics of the process.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it worth it to scrap off the rust and paint over it....? I mean is the lil rust really going to hurt anything?
At some point theses parts/nuts/bolts will have to come apart for repair or maintence. I'd rather use the tools intended for the fastener to get them as opposed to the torch, air saw or cut-off wheel. A rusty hatch strut bracket will drip rust stains on the paint in the door jamb...rust begets more rust.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
POR-15?

POR-15 Rust Preventive Paint-POR-15 Inc.

I've used it and have no complaints. It sticks to whatever you brush it on. I spilled a little on my driveway 8 years ago an it's still there.

Because you brush it on, you can be very selective where it goes.....unlike a rattle can.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
POR-15?

I've used it and have no complaints. It sticks to whatever you brush it on. I spilled a little on my driveway 8 years ago an it's still there.

Because you brush it on, you can be very selective where it goes.....unlike a rattle can.:cheers:
That's the stuff. I too am upset at how quickly rust has formed under my FJ. My five year Chevy truck looks better than my 18 month old FJ and my FJ has seen minimal(if any) road salt whereas the Chevy is my daily driver. Luckily, my FJ is a toy and can be garaged most of the winter when salt is present. When I get a chance I do plan to touchup the worst spots.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
POR-15?

I'm gonna get me some of that stuff. I've been told about it for years, but haven't found it. Well, it hasn't magically appeared in my garage... I haven't looked for it. But I'm going to now.

I rotated my wheels last night. Man, those studs are pure brown and the squeaking and crunching sounds as I unscrewed the lug nuts was bad. So, I grabbed my Remoil for cleaning my guns and blasted all the lugs.... they are the open ended type. Five minutes later I went back and the rest came off nice, smooth, and quiet. I have some serious rust issues to deal with. I wish they would just stop using road salt, or any ice melter for that matter. It really isn't that hard to drive on snow and ice. I've been doing it my whole life. You just need to learn to do it and practice. Completely unplowed roads with black ice are actually some of my favorite driving conditions.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I'm gonna get me some of that stuff. I've been told about it for years, but haven't found it. Well, it hasn't magically appeared in my garage... I haven't looked for it. But I'm going to now.

I rotated my wheels last night. Man, those studs are pure brown and the squeaking and crunching sounds as I unscrewed the lug nuts was bad. So, I grabbed my Remoil for cleaning my guns and blasted all the lugs.... they are the open ended type. Five minutes later I went back and the rest came off nice, smooth, and quiet. I have some serious rust issues to deal with. I wish they would just stop using road salt, or any ice melter for that matter. It really isn't that hard to drive on snow and ice. I've been doing it my whole life. You just need to learn to do it and practice. Completely unplowed roads with black ice are actually some of my favorite driving conditions.
Buy the little cans 'cause it doesn't keep very well once it's opened. Also buy the solvent 'cause nothing I had (paint thinner, acetone, rubbing alcohol, gasoline) would take it off my hands. It took a week for it to wear off my fingers.:cheers:

I can see surface rust on the frame of my 2008 with 700 miles on it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
POR-15?

Has anyone used Kroil underneath to prevent rust on any vehicle.One of the car shows sprayed the entire undersurface with a Kroil product, and claimed no rust at all through a Canadian winter. That would certainly be easier than trying to paint it all.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Went to their site and found the product-it,s called Kroil Weatherpruf-gives one year protection and is claimed to be compatible with paint-I'm going to try it before the FJ has a chance to start rusting away-love that road salt here in Wis.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have snapped 3 skid plate bolts off into the frame while trying to back them out to replace. The ones that actually came out were quite brittle.
This JUST happened to me. I was looking at Sears today to find just the right vise grip pliers to pull that darn thing out.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
It seems alot of the brackets, nuts, bolts, fasteners, brake line fittings etc are all rusty. My 16 years old Ohio rust-belt 4Runner and 20 year old other Toyotas have hardware in better condition than a 2 year old FJ. Your plating and coatings have taken a serious quality dive. The seam welds all along the frame have already lost their coating and are rusty.
Yeah! Same thing here! My 07 FJ with just 40k and living in Lexington,
Ky. is more rusty than my 2001 Sienna! What's up with that?

CryoBoss

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went to replace the acorns that hold the nose of the hood on...they are very rusty. 3 of the 8 wont come off and spun the bolt. Several other fasteners I've removed, dressed and painted. Yes old cruisers rusted but with todays plating and coatings technology there's no excuse for this. Liek I said I pull bolts out of a 20 year old Celica and 16 year old 4Runner and the plating on the bolt inside the nut is day-1-shiny new. Toyota has regressed. I understand if they coated everything like they do Lexus or higher end Toys the FJ may cost $40K. I can live without the ceramic silver coated calipers and chrome allen head engine shroud bolts, but in the future I'm going to break or butter every brake line fitting and skid plate bolt trying to remove them.

If you're listening Toyota...your FJ fasteners are horrible

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I don't like the poorly welding on nuts inside the frame and also on the front bumper. With some torque, they lose the weld and spins free. :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts