Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would not suggest an FJ cruiser for anyone who intends on driving it in weather that is less than 30 degrees F. WHich is not very cold at all, many places in the world get much colder. My FJ has a serious problem with ice. At a mere 27 degrees F the entire tank holding all of the winsheild wiper fluid has turned to slush. I have anti-freeze in there rated up to -50 degrees F. It does not matter, the way that the tank is positioned inside the motor is poorly engineered so that the wind blows up against it causing things to freez up more easily than any other car I have ever owned.

Also, due to the funky winsheild they need 3 wiper blades. 3 wiper blades should be a warning that it is not going to work right. THe wiper blades are terribly complicated and have many moving parts on them in order to wipe the winsheild but those moving parts get so easily bound up with ice that the wiper blades are essentially uselss in an FJ cruiser under 30 degrees F. At every stop light you will need to get out and clear the ice frrom them, even when you do the wipers still dont work right.

I have never been so dissapointed in my life as when I bought this truck for 26 K and it doesnt even work right in the winter, oh yea, this is year one performance on a brand new FJ with no miles on it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've never had a problem with my washer fluid freezing up in the bottle itself, I normally run stuff that is good to -34, I just recently returned from a road trip up north where the temps were in the teens to low twenties while doing 70mph, and had no freezing issues with the bottle. The windshield on the other hand, I have to keep hot with the defroster on full heat to keep from freezing up - but as far as the bottle I would think that the -50 stuff you are buying is severely stretching the truth on the temps :)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Never had the bottle fluid go to slush and have driven it in -40F temps. The blades icing up yes. As mentioned above. Full defrost and it keeps windshield clear. The toes would get a little frosty but the boots rated for -100F took care of that. :lol:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with leaving the window on full defrost. We just went to xmas and I knew that if I turned off the truck, I would be chipping at ice and I would not be able to drive home very easily.

I have put 70% isopropyl (rubbing alchol) into the windowsheild wiper tank to break up the ice and slush and it doesnt do a very good job either. It still ices up. In combination with the iced up winshield wipers, my truck is about uselss under 30 degrees F.

:mecry:

This is probably not my last post. I will hang around for a while to see if anyone gets any ideas but my thoughts are that I need to sell it, it is likley defective or just a poor purchase for what I am looking for.

I really just need a winter truck. Something that works well in the winter. My old Ford Taurus worked better in the winter than my FJ so there has got to be a better answer for me out there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is an interesting idea! I need something like this for sure. Also, this is a really active forum. You guys are pretty cool!

Honestly, if I could figure out how to fix these ice issues, I would really dig on the truck!

I am all ears folks! Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a similar problem, though I just figured that the washer fluid nozzles on the hood were frozen/clogged shut. Does anyone have a preference as to what fluid would be more suitable to freezing temperatures? I just recently bought a used (2008) FJC, and this will also be my first winter where it actually snows. I grew up and lived in Florida most of my soon to be 40 years. Now I'm living in Missouri, along with my new wife, and her newly purchased 'preowned' 2008 FJC. So I'll need to learn how to maintain mine, so I can maintain hers too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 2008 FJ. 10K miles on it now.

I fought the ice issues all last winter. Its coming back again and bugging me. I just cannot believe the ice issues. Which is why I like the heater idea. It sprays 125 degree anti-freez on to the windsheilds.

That will break up the ice on the moving parts of the wipers and it should also keep the lines and tank from freezing up. I just added more alcohol to break up the slush. Its all reduced back to liquid now so there must be some ice in the lines blocking things up.

So lets say I like the idea and I want to get that winsheld heater on my truck. Where do I start? I was thinking about asking the folks who were selling the device. Do I install it? I could take it down the street to a mechanic who works on 4x4s in our area.

I have a really hard time going to Toyota to get it installed. I know I sound like the typical irate customer here but I cannot stand the service of any of my local toyota dealers. Maybe I can drive out of the way to a dealer that could be better but...

What are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Can't say I've dealt with the -40 that others have, but we've had a number of days so far this year where it's been in the negative teens, and warmed up to positive single digits for the highs, and I've had absolutely zero issues.

No special washer fluid, no special wipers, and I get hot fast, so I rarely have the defrost past about 2 o'clock on the temp gauge, and have only turned it past the first fan level once.

I did buy a bottle of rain-x additive to add to the wiper fluid, but it is still sitting here on the counter waiting for me to remember to take it out and put it in. But that is just because I loved how it made any sort of moisture just roll off my windshields of previous vehicles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have toyota look at it? I cannot even fathom the frustration this will be, perhaps I should do it anyway and document it here so that everyone can understand what it is like to work with my Toyota dealer. I knew when I bought it that I could never take it in for warantee work becuase they will rip me off so hard.

I will try your advice and I am betting that right now they cannot even look at my truck for at least another week if not two weeks. COnsidering for something this small, I will have to wait until summer time before the work is actually done. I bet I can sell this truck to someone else before they can actually fix my issues.

Queue the circus music and let the games begin!

You guys dont actually use your toyota dealers do you?

·
Registered
637 Posts
on my week old fj, i drove home from work wednesday in 4 degree temps. had no issues with the wipers or fluid doing their job. i have found the heater/defroster in the fj to be better than most.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Mine sat outside in -20 for a week and started right up, everything works in the cold so I can't report any issues.

However, if only there was some Cold Weather Package options availabe )a'la our Suby Outback):

1. Heated Seats (I know people get a lot of good 'ribbin for saying this but boy they are nice to have)

2. Windshield wiper heaters in the windshield. Works great in the Suny, suprised I haven't seen it on other vehicles.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I agree with leaving the window on full defrost. We just went to xmas and I knew that if I turned off the truck, I would be chipping at ice and I would not be able to drive home very easily.

I have put 70% isopropyl (rubbing alchol) into the windowsheild wiper tank to break up the ice and slush and it doesnt do a very good job either. It still ices up. In combination with the iced up winshield wipers, my truck is about uselss under 30 degrees F.
I'm in Mass. and although we don't experience arctic temperatures per se, it has been a lot colder than 30*F and I've never had issues with frozen windshield washer fluid. I am using the orange Rain-X fluid which seems to work well pretty much year-round.

As for your wipers...you're having icing issues because the wiper blades on there are not intended for winter usage. This is why "winter blades" are made and sold. Do yourself a favor and get some from the auto parts store, if you can find the right sizes. If you can't find a 16" and two 14" blades, you can go down an inch in size without much difference in performance. For example, my local Auto Zone didn't have 14" winter blades so I ended up buying two 13" blades instead.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What you have explained there is exactly what I have come to expect after a lifetime in IL. I remember my old Ford Taurus with a foot of snow on top of the hood would start to develope two little blue spots after about 35 seconds of spray. After a minute or so, it would eventually power through and get the winsheild.

Not my FJ.

The winsheild antifreeze system locks up really tight under the most nominal conditions. All of the lines seem to run through the body in the fender in some way that must express some type of extra cold wind power or somthing so that they all seize up. The line running to the back has frozen up too.

In the winter I really do need good vision. Sometimes when its bad outside other autos drive by and splash a puddle of muck on my window so I suddenly cannot see. I try to use my wipers but they are all frozen up even though I just spent 10 minutes pulling ice from all of the joints in the wiper. The frozen wipers just streak the muck over the window making it worse so I try to shoot some winsheild wiper fluid and sure enough, no go there its all frozen.

So I have to pull over for the third time during this trip and manually wipe off my winsheild, pull ice off of my wiper blades and start the entire process over again. This goes on and on every 10 to 15 minutes in a snow storm like tonight. Last winter when the truck was brand new, it was the same experience.

It makes me want my silly Ford Taurus back, its really, really bad.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
I would not suggest an FJ cruiser for anyone who intends on driving it in weather that is less than 30 degrees F. WHich is not very cold at all, many places in the world get much colder.

Also, due to the funky winsheild they need 3 wiper blades. 3 wiper blades should be a warning that it is not going to work right. THe wiper blades are terribly complicated and have many moving parts on them
What would you suggest instead of 3 wiper blades to sweep the area involved?

I think you were sold some diluted, cheap wiper fluid, and may enjoy rubber wrapped winter blades.

BTW, you can pick up a used 96-97 Ford Taurus for around $500 if you miss it that much

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK I just saw the post about "winter" wiper blades. I can look into that too but again, I never needed anything like that with my Ford Taurus.

1 - 20 of 265 Posts