241 - 260 of 265 Posts

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,838 Posts
That would be a good job for Fred......

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been meaning to post this before, and this thread seems as good as any.

I live in MO, and during the beginning of winter, it tends to be warm enough during the day for liquid precipitation, then cold enough to freeze at night.

I'm a smoker, and have just enough time during my "commute" to work to smoke one cigarette. If even the slightest amount of ice builds up around the windows, they refuse to roll down. This is my first car with power windows, and I'm surprised at how weak the window motors are. In my old Trooper with crank windows, I'd just give it a little muscle and down they went.

Anyone know how to keep this from happening? After the truck warms up, the windows thaw out enough to break through, but my drive to work takes 5 minutes. Im not allowed to smoke on company property, and I only get a lunch break.

P.S. Please don't suggest "quit smoking".

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
Prevent it......no. I use my library card and would run it between the window and the seal to free it up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm from Markham Ontario Canada, and venture up to Lake Simcoe a lot. My 2008 Trail Teams Edition has never had a issue, temperature gets down to under -30. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm a smoker, and have just enough time during my "commute" to work to smoke one cigarette. If even the slightest amount of ice builds up around the windows, they refuse to roll down.

eCigarettes, for goodness' sake.

I recommend Joye EgoT from libertyflights.com. Just get the starter kit that comes with two batteries and the charger. 'Original Red' is Marlboro flavor for liquid.

·
Admin
6,896 Posts
I've been meaning to post this before, and this thread seems as good as any.

I live in MO, and during the beginning of winter, it tends to be warm enough during the day for liquid precipitation, then cold enough to freeze at night.

I'm a smoker, and have just enough time during my "commute" to work to smoke one cigarette. If even the slightest amount of ice builds up around the windows, they refuse to roll down. This is my first car with power windows, and I'm surprised at how weak the window motors are. In my old Trooper with crank windows, I'd just give it a little muscle and down they went.

Anyone know how to keep this from happening? After the truck warms up, the windows thaw out enough to break through, but my drive to work takes 5 minutes. Im not allowed to smoke on company property, and I only get a lunch break.

The credit card idea is probably your best bet.
What may also work is a small squirt bottle with some Rain-X de-icer that's good to -49 or some lock-deicer... spray a bit and it should loosen up.
The thawing then freezing business is crappy. At -30 they don't freeze up because there's no water to freeze to the window :lol:
:cheers:

·
Registered
28 Posts
eCigarettes, for goodness' sake.

I recommend Joye EgoT from libertyflights.com. Just get the starter kit that comes with two batteries and the charger. 'Original Red' is Marlboro flavor for liquid.
I have one of those too. They don't work like the real thing, but it's great to have when I can't smoke.

·
Premium Member
6,497 Posts
This is my first car with power windows, and I'm surprised at how weak the window motors are.
The system is designed to stop the motor it the amp draw is to high so the motor doesn't burn out. It's normal.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
109 Posts
Reading back to the original post if your tired of your windshield wash freezing up ( which has never happened to me, Northern IL), grab yourself a small exit sign lightbulb or something similar and use a small battery with it and put it right by the tank. During no travel the heat from the light should keep the fluid from freezing. Problem solved.

I also think that the windshield wash you have is defective. It should not freeze without alcohol...granted if you have 2010 and newer I could see the wash getting colder because of the relocation, but still.
If there are members here that are using their WW perfectly and they are in constant cold weather and said person is not, well there should not be any complaining.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have had my 2012 out in below 0F weather and no freezing issues so far.

I did recently get the new Toyota blades and they are way better than OEM.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just returned from a week and half trip from Los Angeles to Vancouver, BC and returned via a four day stay in Indian Valley, ID. - Avg temp - 15 deg.
2006 (three months old to me) FJ Cruiser - the LA grade of washer fluid froze solid. Didn't see temps above 30 after it froze so for 6 days no washers. Added -20 fluid but the lines were not going to thaw.

So no washers until I returned within in 2 hours of LA. Otherwise awesome. Three blizzard/pass crossings and not an issue.

2006 Vodoo Blue with MT
Redline in all drive drive train
Pirelli Scorpion ATR'S 275/55x20(not by choice came on it)
Rud Chains - unused.
Ricochet Airdam

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
its get relatively cold in Nebraska. my 2013 is all good apart from one small problem. the exterior door handles rattle when its cold going over some bumps especially during a turn.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Somebody issue a DNR for this thread. Christ, I live in upstate NY and I am now convinced that I can't drive the FJ when it's cold/snowing out:twak:

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
the LA grade of washer fluid froze solid. Didn't see temps above 30 after it froze so for 6 days no washers
If you intend to make this trip every so often - not a "bucket list" item - you could get some Canadian washer fluid good to -40 C or even -49 C.

Before the trip, siphon out or use up the "summer" washer fluid and refill with the winter grade fluid. Then use the washers enough to flush out all the summer grade stuff. That includes the rear wiper/washer the fluid line is long so that will take a long time to flush

I actually do that every fall with my FJ. Our climate can hit -40 C in winter, but can exceed +35 C in summer. We have a lot of bugs in summer and a summer washer fluid works better than a winter fluid

241 - 260 of 265 Posts