Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

261 - 265 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
As far as the "poor" wiper performance, the wife's new Chevy Impala is a major disappointment in heavy snow. With studded snow tires her car is actually more stable on ice and light snow than the FJ.

But if there is heavy snow, even with winter wiper blades forget about it. The wipers park in a partially recessed location in the cowl, like most modern cars. In heavy snow, they freeze to the windshield as they are parked below the defrost outlet.

Even if you set the defrost on max heat and fan speed, and drive around in a tee shirt during a blizzard, the wipers take only 10 minutes to freeze to the windishield

The FJ wiper system is light years better in that regard.

If a manufacturer truly wants to design a wiper system for our climate, they either need to park the wipers ABOVE the defrosters, or have electric defrosters underneath

·
Registered
592 Posts
:jester:

Ummm, Dear Mr. Toyota,

Your FJ doesn't work so good when driving in the snow. The other day I was out driving in a snowstorm here in Siberia (to check on my reindeer herd) and well, the wipers worked OK (you know, they weren't flying off or anything) but dudes, you really need to put a great big wiper on the hood. All of a sudden I couldn't see any more.

Soooo, the guy down at Soviet Auto Circus said he would trade me even up for this real sweet GAZ-24 Volga. As you can see, it doesn't get all that snow piled up on the hood. Only the trunk, which is OK because I don't go backwards very much. :rocker:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live at a ski resort in the Sierras. We get A Lot of SNOW! The FJ has been Fantastic! Of course you need some good snow and ice tires. I'm running the new BFG All-Terrain T/A with the severe snow rating.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I live at a ski resort in the Sierras. We get A Lot of SNOW! The FJ has been Fantastic! Of course you need some good snow and ice tires. I'm running the new BFG All-Terrain T/A with the severe snow rating.
You notice this thread is over five years old? :smile
It certainly provided some entertainment. This forum is so much kinder (less trollish and brutal) than other offroad forums I'm on.

261 - 265 of 265 Posts