Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. just sharing some photos from my build the last couple of weeks.
I was lucky to get it all done before it got too cold. I only got snowed on one day and rained on a couple of days. :clap:

So here is where I started this year:

Here is the list of added gear thus far:

Cobra 18WXSTII Mobile CB Radio
4 Foot Firestick CB Antenna
Firestick Heavy Duty Spring Mount
Boztec Antenna Mount
Procomm IM AM/FM Antenna Spiltter
Kenwood KMM-108U Stereo Head

OrangeBoxx Steel Dead Pedal
Trail Gear Rock Sliders
U.S. Offroad Winch Bumper
Smittybuilt 12,000lbs X2O Winch
Procomp 3 Inch Lift Kit W/ ES9000 and ES6000 Shocks

After the Lift: Now I am pretty sure the invoice said 3 Inch..but it has now been two weeks on the road and I am still at 4 1/4" of lift. I measured from the top of the rim to the wheel well with the OEM aluminum wheels. I put the steelies on afterward for winter. Wondering when this will settle...anybody has a time frame they can share? Perhaps my original suspension was sagging at approximately 91,000 miles on it?

My CB Handle:lol:

So that is it for me this year...all tapped out of funds...and the weather is too unpredictable for driveway wrenching...so next spring I got plans for some new rubber, snorkel and acc...to do some wheeling!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Looks like you're off to a great start! What does the "MFP" stand for? I think I might have an idea about the MF part but not sure...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Red..I am a diehard MAD MAX fan. MFP stands for Main Force Patrol which Max was a part of. My FJ is riddled with references..lol. Silly I know..but I enjoy it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So I know it's been a while so I thought I'd give update to my ToeCutter build. Since the lift I added a remote disconnect and a 4 lead busbar under the hood for my winch and any accessories that I add to my FJ. That way I can run it with all that gear disconnected and make it all hot when needed.

I blacked out all the silver body trim including the mirrors with a Rusto-rattler in Hammered Black. I ran like that for a while and then decided I like the look of the old FJ's with the white mask and then repainted my mask white.

I added some Hella off road lights.

I added in a snorkel (Ebay knockoff via California distributer)

At this point I decided I really liked the white wheel look. Although I don't think it works for every color FJ, I do think it looks great on Sun Fusions and VooDoo Blues. I originally was going to run the white on steelies, but figured it may be too much white. Trying to balance the color with body and the white roof, coupled with the fact that my OEM wheels look bad from flaking, I decided to paint those instead. I had them sand blasted and painted them myself with the following:
Tremclad Satin White (Which is also on the mask)
Rustoleum Marigold Gloss
Tremclad Satin Clear Coat

It took me two weeks to paint the 5 OEM wheels because the temperature was low...so it took days for drying. Since I decided further to break up the white I had to mask and shoot in stages which added to the time involved. I sold my Wrangler SRA's and my spare which never seen the road which was a General Grabber. I found a guy that had for sale a set if 4 Cooper Discovery All Terrian tires that only had 8K on them for $200. Much more aggressive tread than an SRA so I figured they would let me get out to where I wanted to go better than the Wranglers..and give time to save up the chingo for some BFG's KO2s. He said he ran them on his truck for the summer, then switched them out for winter tires. That winter he traded the truck in for a new truck and it runs 20" inch wheels so he had no use for 17" anymore. The only catch was he was 3 1/2 hours out of town...so I took a road trip! I was able to find a used Cooper Disco A/T that matched in town for $60 that was equal in tread depth with the rest all 10 to 11 32nds. Mounted them all white lettering out old school.

All in all..at first I was a bit skeptical on what I had done..but the look really grew on me within a few days and when I put them on it really looked good to me..(It better ..I did it...lol) and then I was stopped three times the first week by other FJ owners who asked what shop I took my wheels to to get them painted. I told them how I did it and said it takes time but was fairly easy.

Next up will be a new roof rack and roof top tent and I will be good to go!

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,926 Posts
That is a whole lot of front lift. Id wonder if something is installed upside-down, like a spring perch, or perhaps the spring isnt clocked into its groove?

Post a picture of your strut assembly.

Reactions: PoppaShango

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Definitely looks like more than 3" up front. The rims turned out awesome!

Reactions: PoppaShango

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That is a whole lot of front lift. Id wonder if something is installed upside-down, like a spring perch, or perhaps the spring isnt clocked into its groove?

I am still sitting at just under 4 1/2 inches of lift after several months. It does look high even though I was told it would settle. As far as the struts go, I had them professionally assembled at the shop. They did mess up one of the springs and not clocked in properly so I took them back and made sure they were right. Mounted them myself and everything is in there correct. I think another guy on facebook said he had the same thing on his s well being much higher that 3" as stated. I will get some photos this weekend.

Hopefully they will post...I seem to have issues with posting photos. They work one day ..and not next.

I think if it starts giving me grief I am going to take the lift out...go back to stock height because I decided I want to Overland/Camp with my rig. Rule one of Overlanding is to stay as close to stock as possible to make repairs and parts in the bush easier. A least that what I read lol. But if I do that those 34" BFG's I want will not work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the props all! The wheels have really grown on me...and there is guy at work that wants me to help him with his now...lol

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,926 Posts
I am still sitting at just under 4 1/2 inches of lift after several months. It does look high even though I was told it would settle. As far as the struts go, I had them professionally assembled at the shop. They did mess up one of the springs and not clocked in properly so I took them back and made sure they were right. Mounted them myself and everything is in there correct. I think another guy on facebook said he had the same thing on his s well being much higher that 3" as stated. I will get some photos this weekend.

Hopefully they will post...I seem to have issues with posting photos. They work one day ..and not next.

I think if it starts giving me grief I am going to take the lift out...go back to stock height because I decided I want to Overland/Camp with my rig. Rule one of Overlanding is to stay as close to stock as possible to make repairs and parts in the bush easier. A least that what I read lol. But if I do that those 34" BFG's I want will not work.
Gotcha. If you are referring to the 34x10.5x17s they should fit stock...might get a little fender flare under compression, but if you at least level it you would be alright.

I only questioned the lift because in the one pic where your wheel it turned it seemed like you might be able to see the whole perch...and technically that should be up in the spring.

like the one on the right in this pic:

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
I like the rims..... looks like a lot of work? Do they hold up to offroading? :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like the rims..... looks like a lot of work? Do they hold up to offroading? :)
I don't know how they will hold up...on my road trip I will be doing some mild off roading....so we will see then. My guess is lots of scratches...and touching up. But that seems to be what is suppose to happen..lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I had a shop mount them and they did make a mistake on one...but I made them correct it. Before I put them in..I double checked everything before re-installing. Most guys I talk at shops say its a bonus...I got extra lift at no extra cost...but I just don't want any complications...but it's been 7 months and all seems good. I am going to run 34's and I think it will look good with them. But is it does give any hint of an issue...it's coming out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice job on the wheels, I'm sure it took some time. So what's the trick to getting a perfect paint line when you mask things off? It seems impossible for me to get a really fine mask job with spray paint, it likes to bleed through.
I used frog tape. Made perfect edges!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts