Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed something this morning while getting out of my car for work. The small body panel caps that are over the fenders and near the windshield looks like they're popped out of place. I don't recall seeing this when I bought the rig and I even checked for the infamous fender bulges and none to be found. Any clue what caused this? I haven't taken my rig on the tails yet either.

Here are some pics for reference.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
mine has this too. There are 4 clips under each panel that secure each one. When my windshield was replaced, they didn't replace those clips, thus preventing them from attaching properly. Those are 1 and done clips. Every time those panels are removed, those clips are supposed to be replaced. Every couple days mine have popped up again... I was going to get it properly fixed on my next windshield replacement, but this one has lasted me a year... go figure.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mine has this too. There are 4 clips under each panel that secure each one. When my windshield was replaced, they didn't replace those clips, thus preventing them from attaching properly. Those are 1 and done clips. Every time those panels are removed, those clips are supposed to be replaced. Every couple days mine have popped up again... I was going to get it properly fixed on my next windshield replacement, but this one has lasted me a year... go figure.
I guess off to the dealer I go.

·
Registered
422 Posts
This problem is common with rough offroading, after windshields have been replaced ,and some times for no apparent reson at all. There is an after market part that allows you to secure this panel in place and is fairly easy to install.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
This problem is common with rough offroading, after windshields have been replaced ,and some times for no apparent reson at all. There is an after market part that allows you to secure this panel in place and is fairly easy to install.
Definitely a common occurrence on any FJ that has had a windshield replacement.

I would be interested in the "aftermarket" part you are speaking about. Do you have any idea who sells them or where you saw this part.

Thanks Jerry:cheers:

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
When I bought my FJ, those panels were so mangled underneath from the previous owner's windshield installer that the clips would no longer work without major modifications. I just ended up drilling a 1" hole in mine, mounted the CB antenna through it so it couldn't blow off like I'd seen in a few previous threads and added an extra screw from under the hood so that it was actually attached to something solid. PITA, but it's not going anywhere now and looks great!

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Definitely a common occurrence on any FJ that has had a windshield replacement.

I would be interested in the "aftermarket" part you are speaking about. Do you have any idea who sells them or where you saw this part.

Thanks Jerry:cheers:

X3 - I was just talking a guy about getting my winsheild replaced (My FJ is an 07 and this is my first replacement:cheers:) and he had told me that a lot of the 2007 models had the winsheilds "over-glued" and that was another reason that clips were breaking. Dunno.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The braket is available at ALL-PRO they are new there and not on thier site yet.You need to drill a hole in the tab that goes between that part and the fender it then gets a screw through the hole into the braket which bolts to the hood hige bolt that way there is a possitive connection and not just some plastic clips.I have one on mine and will try to take a picture.

Yes, the whole windshield assembly is questionable, not just in regards to these panels but the body trim at the top of the windshield that has been discussed many times on this forum. Even the pros often destroy this piece of trim when removing it. THe adhiesive that they use is really the only thing that holds the windshield in place.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Mine was waaaay over glued under that upper valance. Clips all popped fine but it still would not come off. Eventually after looking at the "Last Great Roadtrip" video we figured out what was wrong....

And yes one of my corner panels has never gone back on properly. All Pro will be hearing from me soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts