Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What compressor do you guys carry? The warn guys had a really nice one at the summit, but told me it was around $700. I am looking for a decent compressor to air up after runs that won't take forever. I was looking at the CO2 tanks too, but didn't know how people liked them. I want to be able to use the air for a multitude of uses like dusting out the interior and gear too, probably no air tools though.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
many people here, as well as other off-roaders, use the Masterflow MF-1050. i believe it's made by the same manufacturer that makes the Viair 400P. the units are nearly identical short of a few cosmetic differences. arguably, the best bang for the buck compressor.

it's now serving duty as my backup compressor as i recently installed an onboard air system, but i may eventually hook it up, run a line to the air tank, and increase the volume of air when needed.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Just to be differant, I carry a scuba bottle and rigged up a tire fill chuck on an old first stage regulator. Now I have used this for a long time and it works. The deal is you start with 3000psi and as you use it, you also use the pressure that is the driving force. So after time there is air still in the tank that is basically useless cause NO pressure to push it. VS. co2 makes it's on gas or driving force and from full you have X amount of pressure until it's empty. I went with scuba because I live in Fla, and there are dive shops everywhere as well as a retired Navy Diver. Dont know what it cost to fill say a 10lb co2 but I can only assume co2 is more expensive than air.

BirdMan

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the feed back, the tire inflater comparison had lots of info.

So what about the Superflow series, they seem to be similar to Viair. Superflow makes a twin piston design, that can fill a 35" tire from 10 PSI to 35 PSI in approximately 2-1/2 minutes!

·
Registered
923 Posts
I <3 my CO2 tank. I can fill all four tires in the time it takes my buddies to fill one tire with those portable compressors that hook up to the battery. Fills where I go are $13. I'm sure there are cheaper spots, but this one is two miles from my house.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
many people here, as well as other off-roaders, use the Masterflow MF-1050. i believe it's made by the same manufacturer that makes the Viair 400P. the units are nearly identical short of a few cosmetic differences. arguably, the best bang for the buck compressor.

it's now serving duty as my backup compressor as i recently installed an onboard air system, but i may eventually hook it up, run a line to the air tank, and increase the volume of air when needed.
X2 for $38 you can junk it when it quits, but mine has outlasted several more expensive ones...

Most folks that have problems with them do not turn them off between tires which causes super high head pressure that burns them up...

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
X2 for $38 you can junk it when it quits, but mine has outlasted several more expensive ones...

Most folks that have problems with them do not turn them off between tires which causes super high head pressure that burns them up...

cheers,

dale
Dale --

Are you using the Masterflow?

Terry

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update, i got the MasterFlow MV-50 seems to work well now, i got it at 4 wheel parts on sale. guess now time will tell how long it will last.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts