Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From my dealer:

I am still working on finding these prices, you probably have already got them but
this is what I found roughly not exact. These are possibly not including installation
they do not have accessory prices on toyota's web site as you know.

TRD exhaust $499
Rock rails $270 each
Roof rack $599
Skid plate $375
Driving lights $390 mounted on roof rack

I believe that airbags will be around $650 and I haven't been able to find anything on the Garmin GPS.
Nothing here looks concrete but it at least gives us some info. I think he was getting frustrated that I was calling him with info before he got it.

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
granger said:
I think he was getting frustrated that I was calling him with info before he got it.

Mine too. I referred mine to this site and the toyota.com site, to which the only reply I got from him via email was, "Yes, I know."

lol

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Good info Granger. No thanks on the skid plate. No thanks on the TRD exhaust unless they have the full TRD package. And I hope he means the offroad lights mounted on the air dam - which is mounted on the roof rack. And I guess the rock rails will be $540? I don't want my FJC leaning to one side so I'll take a pair.
He's just teasing you on the GPS isn't he. I bet Toyota, dealers, vendors, etc. will be happy when Granger finally gets his FJC the way he wants it.
"Hey Joe, it's for you, it's that Granger dude again. Tell him if he's our first FJC sunroof customer we'll throw in a GPS for free, otherwise tell him to go away."

·
Registered
108 Posts
Whoa.

$270 EACH for the rock rails ??? Aren't those just powdercoated (or painted) bent pipes with some welded, flat/stamped steel brackets ???

I guess I won't be buying any accessories from the dealer. A black 4WD FJC with manual tranny, convenience package and a rear locking diff will be it. Wonder if the MSRP can be around or under $25k.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pancho said:
Good info Granger. No thanks on the skid plate. No thanks on the TRD exhaust unless they have the full TRD package. And I hope he means the offroad lights mounted on the air dam - which is mounted on the roof rack. And I guess the rock rails will be $540? I don't want my FJC leaning to one side so I'll take a pair.
He's just teasing you on the GPS isn't he. I bet Toyota, dealers, vendors, etc. will be happy when Granger finally gets his FJC the way he wants it.
"Hey Joe, it's for you, it's that Granger dude again. Tell him if he's our first FJC sunroof customer we'll throw in a GPS for free, otherwise tell him to go away."
Heh heh, I don't think you're too far off. I almost feel bad when I call them with questions or new information. But, I want to make sure they are on top of it and do everything in their power to get me what I want. Between you me and the fencepost, I fully intend on giving the sales manager I have been dealing with a nice gift once the FJ is here.

On the other points, I would hope that price includes the air dam as well. I'm not sure about the skid plate, someone had posted here that it was cosmetic only, if that is the case then I will pass. If that is the only way to get a front skid then I do want it. Still not sure where I stand on the sunroof. Before I found out that a mild lift was needed to support the winch/bull bar I was all about it, now I'm not too sure how much money over and above MSRP I want to throw into it while it is still new.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
POS VETT said:
Whoa.

$270 EACH for the rock rails ??? Aren't those just powdercoated (or painted) bent pipes with some welded, flat/stamped steel brackets ???

I guess I won't be buying any accessories from the dealer. A black 4WD FJC with manual tranny, convenience package and a rear locking diff will be it. Wonder if the MSRP can be around or under $25k.
That is pretty expensive when you could buy aftermarket ones for half that. I have seen prices for aftermarket ones that are as low as $150 and as high as $599. What makes a rock rail a good rock rail and what do you think a Toyota equivilent would cost aftermarket?

Please keep in mind that this is just what one dealer is saying. He could be guessing or spot on. I sent him an email asking whether port installed accessories have an installiation charge. His response should be interesting.

·
Registered
449 Posts
granger said:
Please keep in mind that this is just what one dealer is saying. He could be guessing or spot on. I sent him an email asking whether port installed accessories have an installiation charge. His response should be interesting.
My dealer told me that depending on who manufactures the accessories, there could be "inflated market value" tacked on to the general cost of the items. But said nothing of an installation charge.

BTW, where have you seen aftermarket rock rails? Are they specific to the FJC?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pdrmant said:
My dealer told me that depending on who manufactures the accessories, there could be "inflated market value" tacked on to the general cost of the items. But said nothing of an installation charge.

BTW, where have you seen aftermarket rock rails? Are they specific to the FJC?
Nothing specific to the FJC but those will come in time. I was looking at Taco and 4 Runner rock rails for comparison.

·
Registered
181 Posts
granger said:
That is pretty expensive when you could buy aftermarket ones for half that. I have seen prices for aftermarket ones that are as low as $150 and as high as $599. What makes a rock rail a good rock rail and what do you think a Toyota equivilent would cost aftermarket?

What kind of rock rails are you talking about???? These aren't running boards!

Quality sliders will easily cost $600 a pair.

I would buy Toyota's in a minute at that price considering they were made specifically for the truck and the frame was made to accomodate them.

·
Registered
963 Posts
ToyBox said:
I would buy Toyota's in a minute at that price considering they were made specifically for the truck and the frame was made to accomodate them.
That's the way I feel. Those rock rails were designed to fit on there from the beginning. (lest we forget they were supposed to be standard equipment?)

I'd have to imagine they're pretty good if they survived Big Bear and Rubicon. Not just "simple powder coated bent tubes with angle brackets".

- LC

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I fully intend on giving the sales manager I have been dealing with a nice gift once the FJ is here.
He should give you a gift for educating him. And we've all benefited too, so we'll give you the gift of some gab. I'd hold off on the skid plate until you've actually seen one mounted, and you know it won't interfere with your ARB bumper installation if you get it. The skid plates I've seen seen on Tacomas are more show than go. It's an easy bolt-on later if you still want it.
I'm not sure on the sunroof either. It would be nice but I need to see one installed on a ribbed roof first. I think a large sunroof would make the back seat room less claustrophobic don't you? I'll use that one on my wife if she sees the bill. The OME lift GT Lance recommended isn't too pricey so that might actually be my first aftermarket mod, along with bigger BFGs. That is if I can't get BFG All Terrains initially. If I can get stock size BFG All Terrains then I might wait until they were out before I get the lift and larger tires.

Yes rock rails are a pretty simple concept and design. But you don't want to get cheapies and then trash them and your rocker panels too. The Toyota $270 eachers are Rubicon proven, so I'll go with them. Otherwise if other aftermarket vendors are as slow to market as ARB then you'll be waiting on rock rails along with your bull bar.

·
Registered
181 Posts
granger said:
What makes a rock rail a good rock rail and what do you think a Toyota equivilent would cost aftermarket?
Ability to protect and support the weight of the vehicle. You should be able to jack your truck up using the sliders. Most of the stupid tubes you see are strictly for show.

And again sliders will easily cost you $600 a pair and that is just to buy them. (not that it is hard to install them though)

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pancho,

After listening to eveyone's points and thinking it over I am going to stick with the Toyota ones. As for the other ones I was talking about, I just did a simple search and communicated the results. I have no idea to the quality of the ones I referenced. Here is what I used as reference: http://www.sonoransteel.com/store_stubbs_sliders.html

Thanks for the tip on the front skid, I'll wait on that until I see what it looks like.

Totally agree with the sunroof. I do NOT want to be first or even second for that matter but I do think it will go a long way to open up the back of the truck. If my son is misserable back there it will make my life a lot harder.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ToyBox said:
Ability to protect and support the weight of the vehicle. You should be able to jack your truck up using the sliders. Most of the stupid tubes you see are strictly for show.

And again sliders will easily cost you $600 a pair and that is just to buy them. (not that it is hard to install them though)

Thanks Toybox. Man I have been out of the offroading set for so long I don't know anything.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
hey granger, since you seem the most up on your specs with your dealer can you tell me yes or no if the rear lockers come standard on the MT?? i keep seeing it both ways on various posts throughout the forum. if the rear lockers are not standard have you any idea how much the option price is for the rear lockers on the MT? thanks for all your investigatin man - you are top notch.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Don't forget, accessories are a dealer's bread and butter- so the prices are, generally, negotiable... It'll probably be the only area of the vehicle that is, because you can take them or not.

And I'm sorry to say it, but it will be you guys buying the first issues, sight-unseen who will be at the mercy of the dealers. But I suppose it'll be worth it just to see the look on your neighbor's faces when you roll into your respecitive driveways with a "WHAT-THE-HELL-IS-THAT ?!?" :eek:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Spike Strip said:
Don't forget, accessories are a dealer's bread and butter- so the prices are, generally, negotiable... It'll probably be the only area of the vehicle that is, because you can take them or not.

And I'm sorry to say it, but it will be you guys buying the first issues, sight-unseen who will be at the mercy of the dealers. But I suppose it'll be worth it just to see the look on your neighbor's faces when you roll into your respecitive driveways with a "WHAT-THE-HELL-IS-THAT ?!?" :eek:
first issues - precisely why i will buy the majority of addons aftermarket and deal with slightly higher prices for better quality. i think the only things im willing to entertain are the roof rack and rock rails (just so i can go out comfortably right away, knowing im not going to f my rig up the first week out)

·
Registered
282 Posts
pertaining to sliders... don't skimp on armor... the last thing you want to experience is something that fails on the trails :( body damage just plain sux so I'd say pay premium on these suckers. The toy one looks good but I'm sure aftermarket stuff will arrive that'll be crazy (as usual).

if toyota makes skids that are full belly (meaning it covers tranny, transfer) then you're in good shape otherwise look into some quality skids as if you plan to do rock stuff, cover up!

Good luck

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Good Times said:
pertaining to sliders... don't skimp on armor... the last thing you want to experience is something that fails on the trails :( body damage just plain sux so I'd say pay premium on these suckers. The toy one looks good but I'm sure aftermarket stuff will arrive that'll be crazy (as usual).

if toyota makes skids that are full belly (meaning it covers tranny, transfer) then you're in good shape otherwise look into some quality skids as if you plan to do rock stuff, cover up!

Good luck
plus ive heard of guys quoting around 6-700 for a pair of aftermarket rock rails. if the toyota ones cost 570 for a pair, it's not really a huge jump - more of a wait n see.

·
Registered
449 Posts
caliFJ said:
i think the only things im willing to entertain are the roof rack and rock rails (just so i can go out comfortably right away, knowing im not going to f my rig up the first week out)
I'm on board with those, too. I would love to have more but probably wont be able to afford it. I see those items as "neccessary". I'm not sure 'bout the skid though. Saw one on the new Taco and it looked kind of thin.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts