Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today on my way home from work my radio turned off and turned back on 3 times within a 10 minute window. When I got home I left it running and noticed the battery voltage meter was fluctuating constantly. I turned the radio off and that did not help. I turned the blinkers on, then the high beams, then the radio. None of these seemed to make a difference in how low it was dipping. Has anyone else experienced this, or is it just a coincidence?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have a winch, I will check the ground on it and see what is up. No voltmeter, but couldnt i just unplug my battery while the engine was running to see if it was the alternator?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I would be that one that had this issue. One of my winch cables fell between the bumper and the frame and it got pinched. I was losing power whenever there's some flex.

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
I would be that one that had this issue. One of my winch cables fell between the bumper and the frame and it got pinched. I was losing power whenever there's some flex.
Yes this is the person I was referring to.
What a pita to diagnose!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I do have a winch, I will check the ground on it and see what is up. No voltmeter, but couldnt i just unplug my battery while the engine was running to see if it was the alternator?
Well ,you can, but i promise you that your diagnosis will be "the alternator is bad"

Why? Because you can't run a vehicle if you unplug the battery. Ive tried to do this before on a boat to jump start it with my secondary battery and then switch back to the boats battery. As soon as you unplug one of the terminals on the vehicles battery, the vehicle will die.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, i checked it out last night and cannot find any problem with any wiring. Everything went fine this morning on the way to work, but as i was leaving work my truck wouldnt turn over. I gave it some gas and finally got it to turn over, but on my way home I noticed that the voltage meter was still bouncing and would go down at stop lights. I guess I will have to take it somewhere to check it out.

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
Ya the car should stay running if you remove pos batt cable.
But if you haven't charged your battery it should have gone dead in a day or 2. If volt gauge is bouncing it's a grounding issue somewhere and can be a major pita to chase down.

With a bad alternator the volt gauge only moves 1 direction. DOWN

Important... Is the car cutting off on you? Sputtering?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No sputtering or anything like that. Just the voltage bouncing and the radio turning off a few times yesterday. I wouldn't even know where to begin tracking down the grounding problem.

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
Crap no sputtering... Thats typical of a bad ground or short.
A bad battery or alternator shouldn't cause the gauge to jump or radio to shut off.
*those would also be the 2 easiest parts to have tested though.. At least clean terminals on battery!!

Idk how many accessories you have tied into your fj but I would recommend wiring up a blue sea fuse block and run all acc. into there just so you can keep the factory wiring clean.. I did that to mine and I believe it will help chase down future electrical problems if I ever have any..
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
So today on my way home from work my radio turned off and turned back on 3 times within a 10 minute window. When I got home I left it running and noticed the battery voltage meter was fluctuating constantly. I turned the radio off and that did not help. I turned the blinkers on, then the high beams, then the radio. None of these seemed to make a difference in how low it was dipping. Has anyone else experienced this, or is it just a coincidence?
I have EXACTLY these symptoms following disconnecting and reconnecting basically every wire in the interior... :worried:

Volt meter floats, radio turns off for a couple seconds randomly every few minutes. Occasionally, the cruise control resets if its on. No other problems.

Will look into the grounds... there are quite a few of them in the interior.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
You need to check every wire added to the vehicle including all radio wiring. Another member had the same symptoms... He replaced alternator and battery only to find it was aftermarket wiring under the dash that was shorting out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts