Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at trading in my new car for a FJ . I had an 98 4runner 4x4 with 5 speed with old man emu lift for 4 years before owning my current car and miss it so much. I'm looking at a 4x4 with automatic this time . Ive only had cars with stick shift so is their any negatives to automatic on this truck performance and longevity wise ? Also are their any major flaws with the 2013 year build wise . My current 2012 car is having a lot of build problems and I want to know every flaw with this truck . Also is this FJ 100% made in Japan ? My 4 runner was and was flawless with 269,000 when I sold it . Thanks for your time and look forward to your comments to help me on my FJ journey .

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was manual man, up until last Friday. I traded a -10-John Cooper Works Mini for a TT FJ -10-. Exact opposites. I may just be getting old but I love the auto, it does seam to kick down a hair too easy around 70. My biggest thing dealing with it is the blind spots. I got blind spot mirrors and everything adjusted perfectly and better then my other cars. But there is still that blind spot on the B pillar? Aft of the rear doors. That one does make for a problem on some these Texas turnarounds on Hwys.
Since this FJ is a keeper Ill still get the transmission fluid changed even though its lifetime. I think it would be serious preventive medicine. If I was going to trade it in four or five years I wouldn't change it.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
welcome.

nothing wrong with the auto as that is the prevalent trans sold.

yes, 100% Japanese made.

so far, nothing new neg wise has turned up for 2013.

·
Premium Member
16,449 Posts
Yes the FJC is 100% made in Japan. Nothing wrong with the Auto, but I do like my MT! :wave:

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :rocker:

My family has had four FJ's. I am on my second and absolutely love it. The Auto is a smooth transmission that is a good match for the 4.0 litre. I also put some pretty good sized spots on my mirrors and the side visibility is greatly improved. The rear camera in the newer trucks is a great addition too.
The trucks are reliable, smooth and incredibly versatile. Even if I came into a boatload of money, I would still drive my FJ. That's how much I love it!

Wish you all the best with getting a FJ. Look forward to seeing her on the Forum one day.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had an '88 4runner and have an '86 FJ 60 both with manual transmissions--no complaints. I also have a 2012 FJ with an auto trans. I find the pros to the auto trans in general as follows: somewhat better gas mileage, towing is easier, and it's generally less effort to drive. The latter reason may be important if one lives in an urban area. When purchasing the 2012 FJ, I considered both trans types and went with the auto. I'm happy with that choice. One downside to the auto trans is that you can't pop the clutch to start the vehicle, if need be. With that said, I can't remember the last time I had to start my vehicle by popping the clutch.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had an '88 4runner and have an '86 FJ 60 both with manual transmissions--no complaints. I also have a 2012 FJ with an auto trans. I find the pros to the auto trans in general as follows: somewhat better gas mileage, towing is easier, and it's generally less effort to drive. The latter reason may be important if one lives in an urban area. When purchasing the 2012 FJ, I considered both trans types and went with the auto. I'm happy with that choice. One downside to the auto trans is that you can't pop the clutch to start the vehicle, if need be. With that said, I can't remember the last time I had to start my vehicle by popping the clutch.
Thanks for the info . I think an auto is the best thing . My wife can't drive stick and I liked that because I always have my own car lol . But I think its time for her to be able to drive my car if need be . What's up keep with an auto ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for the info . I think an auto is the best thing . My wife can't drive stick and I liked that because I always have my own car lol . But I think its time for her to be able to drive my car if need be . What's up keep with an auto ?

I don't have my service manual handy but a trans oil drain/refill at the prescribed interval is normal maintenance.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More information on the FJ I'm looking at . White auto 4x4 with off road package and the alarm and cruise control . 30 k out the door. Is this an amazing deal ?? Should I opt for roof rack and foot bars , or should I get that on the aftermarket side .

·
Registered
538 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good deal...any kind of warranty?

As far as the foot bars and roof rack-it really depends on what you want to do down the road---if you're going to put sliders on later, then opt out. Same with the roof rack- if you're going to be putting a lot up there, then opt out and go for a heavy duty Baja or some other aftermarket.

Good luck and welcome to the party!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like a pretty good deal...any kind of warranty?

As far as the foot bars and roof rack-it really depends on what you want to do down the road---if you're going to put sliders on later, then opt out. Same with the roof rack- if you're going to be putting a lot up there, then opt out and go for a heavy duty Baja or some other aftermarket.

Good luck and welcome to the party!

It comes with Toyota guard elite if that what your talking about .

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Trail Teams Limited auto trans.. bought at the end of 08 has been flawless , wife loves it , it has it's quirks with blind spots , the back seat is bit of a pain in and out of in a parking lot ,it gets Ok fuel milage not great not terrible but then I didn't buy it for milage . I got it for a bomb proof ( not literally)reliable do everything go all over easy clean and maintain vehicle . It has not disappointed in any thing , I challenge you to find something to hate .... That means you have to buy one. :clap::cheers:
Oops forgot I does have one big problem It's like a drug you can't leave it alone you have to either be driving it or adding to it . Bummer.:lol:

·
Registered
71 Posts
It sounds like a decent enough deal. I negotiate a lot for work, so I will get into the back and forth readily. You might be able to get a little more for the money, but its still in an acceptable range. A lot will depend on what you want out of it. Some folks are getting lift kits, roof racks, different wheels, or even DVD players when they deal. That is the dealer installed stuff that they can wrangle locally.

As for my experience with the FJ, I love mine. I don't get to drive it as much, but it was intended for the wife to drive the kids around. My wife is an amazing women that can destroy a vehicle in ways never seen before. She still holds the record for a bent rear stub axle on a Jetta. 3.5 degrees out of alignment. For the unknowing, that part is 1.5" solid steel. She has destroyed a Honda Civic, a Mitsubishi Eclipse, a VW Jetta, and a Scion xB. The FJ has proven to be wife-resistant so far. It has outlived every other vehicle. So, for what it's worth, the FJ has been very stout and reliable. We have driven it all over the southeast. Been into the mountains, down the beaches, and all sorts of stuff. It has even conquered traffic barrels at 75 mph with no damage.

I say go for it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Should get the off road or upgrade pack . I really like the uprgade package . Wich one should I get at the dealer now .

·
Registered
597 Posts
Did you get it???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts