Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! n00b from Texas checking in.

I am in the process of trading in my Tacoma for a 2007 FJ 4X4 and I have a few questions as I have never owned or driven a four wheel drive vehicle.

1. When engaging four wheel high or low it seems to help to have the truck in park. Is this normal? The manual leads me to believe that it can go from H2 H4 while moving but there is transfer case noise when I try especially when cold. I tried shifting to L4 in neutral as per the manual but there was grinding and I didn't want to force it so I stopped. Perhaps some fresh fluid would help or is there anything else to look for or is it a non issue all together.

2. There is some wind noise from somewhere in the back that picks up at about 40 MPH. Does the side or back glass roll down or vent? All of the door gaps line up and the weather strips are whole and in good shape.

3. If in L4 with the locker engaged I switch to H4 what happens to the locker? Is it electronically disabled? The light didn't seem to want to go out until it was put back in L4 then press the button.

Thanks, I realize these have probably been asked a million times so I am off to search but since the papers are signed and the dealer has my truck I am working with a very short time frame to figure it out.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Headed to the dealer for a PPI in a couple hours but I have one more that I did think of.
It was raining on the drive home so I figured I would try out H4, everything went great but about a mile from home the four wheel dash light lit up as i was coming to a stop. Was this a hey dummy you don't need H4 or is it an indicator that four wheel was used sort of like the traction control light.
Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Hello everyone! n00b from Texas checking in.

I am in the process of trading in my Tacoma for a 2007 FJ 4X4 and I have a few questions as I have never owned or driven a four wheel drive vehicle.

1. When engaging four wheel high or low it seems to help to have the truck in park. Is this normal? From H2 to H4 you can do on the fly. But going into L4 you need to be stopped and in NeutralThe manual leads me to believe that it can go from H2 H4 while moving but there is transfer case noise when I try especially when cold. I get the occasional clunk or thud but not a grinding. Shift with purpose and feel the gears engage don't shift half wayI tried shifting to L4 in neutral as per the manual but there was grinding and I didn't want to force it so I stopped. Be sure you are in neutral, completely stopped, let the engine speed come down and feel the shift and shift firm Perhaps some fresh fluid would help or is there anything else to look for or is it a non issue all together.

2. There is some wind noise from somewhere in the back that picks up at about 40 MPH. Does the side or back glass roll down or vent? All of the door gaps line up and the weather strips are whole and in good shape. The back window does open but the dash light comes on on mine to tell me it ain't shut. Other than that???

3. If in L4 with the locker engaged I switch to H4 what happens to the locker? Is it electronically disabled?It is electronically disabled and a dash light should flash and beep The light didn't seem to want to go out until it was put back in L4 then press the button.

Thanks, I realize these have probably been asked a million times so I am off to search but since the papers are signed and the dealer has my truck I am working with a very short time frame to figure it out.
Headed to the dealer for a PPI in a couple hours but I have one more that I did think of.
It was raining on the drive home so I figured I would try out H4, everything went great but about a mile from home the four wheel dash light lit up as i was coming to a stop. When you shift it engages the transfer case but not the axles. They engage when the tire speeds differ. So when you shifted you weren't actually in 4wd until you slowed down and it engaged and then the light comes on. Was this a hey dummy you don't need H4 or is it an indicator that four wheel was used sort of like the traction control light. Be careful engaging 4wd when you don't need it. You can break things. The transfer case does not act like a differential.
Thanks again!
Helpful?

Once you get it home, seriously, sit in the FJ in the driveway and read the manual cover to cover. This FJ does tons of things and Toyota spells it out in there. I am not being disrespectful. I am completely serious.

And BTW - Welcome

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Very, thank you sir!

Thanks for the suggestions/pointers. I'm reading the manual as I type this and it was bed time reading last night, yeah I'm a dork like that. Manual is helpful but IMO there are some parts that are unclear and could use a little more explanation.

oh and I almost forgot, here's a pic :)

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Helpful?

Once you get it home, seriously, sit in the FJ in the driveway and read the manual cover to cover. This FJ does tons of things and Toyota spells it out in there. I am not being disrespectful. I am completely serious.
That is probably some of the best advice I've read since joining here! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Manual is helpful but IMO there are some parts that are unclear and could use a little more explanation.[/COLOR]
The best thing is reading it from the driver's seat and touching the parts and testing stuff as you read the manual.

Learn by doing!

I found the little compartment on the dash above the steering wheel in the manual. I thought it was the air bag. Learned something.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok one last n00bish question for you guys. Took some measurements this morning but don't know for sure if there is already a mild lift on it. Based on the tiresandwheels.xls 285/70/17 Cooper STT will fit on stock suspension right?

Here are my numbers from the ground to the bottom of the black plastic fender
F 35 R 37
and from the center of the wheel to the fender
F 19 3/4 R 22

Have been sorting through all the lift and tire threads and OME seems highly recommended and the price is right but haven't had a chance to get underneath it to see what if anything has already been installed.

I am inclined to say that it is stock height with larger tires. Does that sound right? FYI there is at least 5 inches of room from the roof rack to the lowest part of my garage door. 7’ IIRC

Thanks

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Congrats! Nice looking rig ~ have fun.

Sorry, someone w/more insight than I will have to ans. this last question.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Ok one last n00bish question for you guys. Took some measurements this morning but don't know for sure if there is already a mild lift on it. Based on the tiresandwheels.xls 285/70/17 Cooper STT will fit on stock suspension right? I don't know if they fit or not. I have read several conflicting posts

Here are my numbers from the ground to the bottom of the black plastic fender
F 35 R 37 Assuming you measured from the ground through the center of the hub to the bottom of the black plastic - you are stock with these measurements
and from the center of the wheel to the fender
F 19 3/4 R 22 I don't use this measurement

Have been sorting through all the lift and tire threads and OME seems highly recommended and the price is right but haven't had a chance to get underneath it to see what if anything has already been installed. I just installed OME 884s in front and got 2"s and OME 895E in rear for 1". I am extremely pleased with OME. And everyone on here has their opinion.

I am inclined to say that it is stock height with larger tires. Does that sound right? Minimum lift with maximum tire. The maximum lift with struts and springs is 3"s. I went with the OME philosophy of 2"s. They can go to 3" with additional spacers though. Just don't get to stiff of spring. I understand 884 and 885 are same spring rate just that 885s are longer and give more liftFYI there is at least 5 inches of room from the roof rack to the lowest part of my garage door. 7’ IIRC

Thanks

:wave:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts