Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

461 - 480 of 512 Posts

·
トヨタ Master
7,585 Posts
Drove the FJ about 3000km round trip from near Edmonton, Alberta to Casper, Wyoming and back to pick up this beauty.
Those little trailers are all over Wyoming. There must have been a dealer around back in the day. I think there's nearly a dozen here. Must have been a good deal to drive that far for one eh?

·
Registered
112 Posts
My little Bantam BT3 trailer made the 3,000 mile trip form Cali to Alaska with all my possessions(not much) for my PCS to Eielson :smile . I had my mountain bike mounted on top of it too but it was stolen the only night I stopped at a hotel in Eugene, Oregon...:flame:

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Those little trailers are all over Wyoming. There must have been a dealer around back in the day. I think there's nearly a dozen here. Must have been a good deal to drive that far for one eh?
The small fiberglass trailers are very popular these days (Scamps, Casitas, Olivers, Bigfoot, Escape). The one I bought is an Escape 15 ft with bathroom that was made in Chilliwack, BC. Although Escape is currently a very busy manufacturer of fiberglass trailers, this particular model is no longer made, and Escape now concentrates their "factory direct" sales (no dealers) on larger 17', 19', 21' and fifth wheel models. My understanding is that there were only about 125 or so 15B trailers made before production of the 15B was discontinued, so I do indeed have a rare trailer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I pulled out this old airstream today like it was nothing. It had been sitting for ages and the wheels were in a hole. 4 low and it pretty much idled and pulled right out.

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
@sfirebird2002 , WOW!!! Where did you find that piece of history? Were you just the transporter or are you the lucky recipient of a restoration project?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
This is our camping setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Towed with the FJ for the first time last week. Installed the hitch and wiring that day, so had to test it out. Trailer loaded weighs approx 4000 lbs. I'll post a pic if I can. It was a little sagging in the rear. Thinking I'm going to get inner spring air bags to remedy. It towed well, but going above 60 mph was a little sketchy, I'm guessing because of the tongue weight and short wheelbase?

·
Registered
45 Posts
i had to pull out the airstream trailer and the big lifted ford that got stuck trying to pull out said trailer. The Airstream is for a family member (restoration project)

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is what I routinely pull when camping. It's a Casita deluxe fiberglass camper. Pulls like it's not even there. I do have a 7 pin plug and trailer towing kit and trailer brakes and all that working. But really you forget it's even back there unless your going up a hill maybe.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Towed with the FJ for the first time last week. Installed the hitch and wiring that day, so had to test it out. Trailer loaded weighs approx 4000 lbs. I'll post a pic if I can. It was a little sagging in the rear. Thinking I'm going to get inner spring air bags to remedy. It towed well, but going above 60 mph was a little sketchy, I'm guessing because of the tongue weight and short wheelbase?
Did you use a weight distribution hitch? That will help quite a bit in getting the proper weight on the hitch and help limit sway. My FJ is very stable at 75 mph with 4500 lbs. Note I have after market rear springs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Did you use a weight distribution hitch? That will help quite a bit in getting the proper weight on the hitch and help limit sway. My FJ is very stable at 75 mph with 45000 lbs. Note I have after market rear springs.
I'm truly hoping you meant 4500 lbs? :surprise :grin Sorry had to lol

No I don't have a weight distributing setup. Thankfully I won't have to tow a load like that very much at all, maybe just in an emergency. I'm a contractor and that trailer is normally pulled by one of our workers with a pickup. If his truck breaks down I'm on the hook to pull the trailer. At least I know the FJ will do it!

Here's pics of both trailers I have. One is a 6x12 single axle that weighs about 3000lbs loaded. The other is a 7x14 tandem that weighs in around 4500. Not much different in overall weight, but that extra 1500 lbs makes a big difference on this FJ. On my Tundra....not so much. The big trailer on the Tundra is a 8x20 that weighs about 8000lbs loaded. Yes, I've put alot of miles on these trailers.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Nice catch, 45,000 lbs would be something! It's hard to pinpoint what why it happened and probably deserves it's own thread so I don't want to get side tracked from what this thread is.

You are obviously experienced at towing so I'm not sure you need anymore advice from an internet know it all but I think a weight distribution hitch is generally recommend for towing over 4,000 lbs with the FJ due to the short wheelbase and softer rear springs. Nice truck, FJ and trailers, hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nice catch, 45,000 lbs would be something! It's hard to pinpoint what why it happened and probably deserves it's own thread so I don't want to get side tracked from what this thread is.

You are obviously experienced at towing so I'm not sure you need anymore advice from an internet know it all but I think a weight distribution hitch is generally recommend for towing over 4,000 lbs with the FJ due to the short wheelbase and softer rear springs. Nice truck, FJ and trailers, hope you get it figured out.
Thank you sir! Yeah I'm not used to short wheelbase vehicles, although I did have a Wrangler at one time but never towed with it.

After reading your thread I actually did some searching on the weight distributing hitches. I see what they do, they basically spread the weight from the pin to the sides of the front of the trailer to help with sway control. I didn't have any sway with that trailer, but I did have some sag in the rear. I think I'm going to at least get a set of inner spring air bags to help with the leveling.

Thanks for your suggestions!

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Here is my FJ and my M101A2. This trailer tracks really nicely behind the FJ. Going from Seattle to the Tri-Cities I got about 14 MPG while towing this. That is even over Snoqualmie Pass.

Attachments

461 - 480 of 512 Posts