Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

481 - 500 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thank you sir! Yeah I'm not used to short wheelbase vehicles, although I did have a Wrangler at one time but never towed with it.

After reading your thread I actually did some searching on the weight distributing hitches. I see what they do, they basically spread the weight from the pin to the sides of the front of the trailer to help with sway control. I didn't have any sway with that trailer, but I did have some sag in the rear. I think I'm going to at least get a set of inner spring air bags to help with the leveling.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Don’t use a weight distribution hitch with the factory hitch. You’ll bend the two bottom bolts and your hitch will be loose. The fj and new 4runners factory hitch is not safe for wd. I learned the hard way and bent my hitch and bolts. Also wd doesn’t always deal with sway. Some wd hitches have built in sway control but not all of them. Wd is meat to distribute weight from your rear axle to your front. Air bags will cause you to overload your rear axle and you could possibly lose some steering, in some conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hi FinnJ, if I remember correctly you installed a supercharger. How's it working pulling that trailer?
The spot your at looks awesome, where is it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Update: I installed the Firestone air bags in the rear. Definitely helped with towing. I only put enough air in it to level it out. No more sway. No steering issues. Feels very secure and safe. Glad I did this. The trailer is a 7x14 enclosed tandem, weight is approx 4000 lbs loaded. Before the air bags it was sagging in the rear badly, and it felt very strange on the highway, very loose feeling. The air bags solved both problems.

·
Registered
142 Posts
We just took a trip this month over to San juan island. I live in Puyallup Wa and we drove the fj and trailer up to anacortes and took the ferry over. The tide was a minus 3 so the aproach to the ferry boarding was a little sketchy. We made it on with a inch to spare. The rear jack almost drug. We got on and had a easy trip over
We camped in a private camp ground on a lake on a island lol.
The place was called lakedale resort. It was a great little place to hang out.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
We just took a trip this month over to San juan island. I live in Puyallup Wa and we drove the fj and trailer up to anacortes and took the ferry over. The tide was a minus 3 so the aproach to the ferry boarding was a little sketchy. We made it on with a inch to spare. The rear jack almost drug. We got on and had a easy trip over
We camped in a private camp ground on a lake on a island lol.
The place was called lakedale resort. It was a great little place to hang out.
what is the tongue weight on that trailer?

Any air bags added to FJ?

Thank you

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi if i remember correctly the tongue weight is 320 pounds. Been pulling trailers for 20 years and can tell you that i feel very comfortable pulling my trailer with out air bags. Only thing i did was the 7 pin plug and a prodigy p3. Also went with e rated tires. Don't think i needed them but just like how stable the fj feels with them. Also added a small derale tranny cooler.
My trailer is a 2016 coachman clipper 17fq if that helps.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Hi if i remember correctly the tongue weight is 320 pounds. Been pulling trailers for 20 years and can tell you that i feel very comfortable pulling my trailer with out air bags. Only thing i did was the 7 pin plug and a prodigy p3. Also went with e rated tires. Don't think i needed them but just like how stable the fj feels with them. Also added a small derale tranny cooler.
My trailer is a 2016 coachman clipper 17fq if that helps.
thank you

I have the brake controller, oem tow hitch, and pin
Also have e rated ko2 tires

Will search the tranny cooler per your recommendation

·
Admin
6,868 Posts
Quads and camping gear....

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
トヨタ Master
6,394 Posts
Quads and camping gear....
You finally headed home? You been out there for like two months, yo! I was starting to think you were making payments on that lake by now. >:D

·
Admin
6,868 Posts
You finally headed home? You been out there for like two months, yo! I was starting to think you were making payments on that lake by now. >:D
:rofl:

Almost.....

·
Registered
361 Posts
Mount Ranier NP and Glacier NP last week.

Attachments

·
トヨタ Master
6,394 Posts
View attachment 1088290

View attachment 1088292

Built this from a 4’ X 6’ utility trailer.
I've seriously been thinking about doing this. I'd be reinforcing and "skidding" the axle and using adapters to mate 6X5.5 FJ wheels to the 4X4.5 bolt pattern, upgrading the wheel bearings, sheet metal to enclose the bottom section and build a power station in the tongue, and galley in the rear. I've already got some camper tanks laying around for the fresh and gray water. How does it handle off road loaded?

481 - 500 of 511 Posts