Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

501 - 511 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
New Lock-n-Roll hitch installed on the FJ and camper. Range of motion testing to begin next weekend.:wink

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been pulling my RPod 178 for the third season now. Lots of hills around Utah. I typically spend time in a gear lower than normal (MT). Only sees 6th on level or downhill with no headwind at all. At least I am not in the right hand lane with the semis going up the local hill from Salt Lake to Park City.
Tows well with an Equalizer hitch. Trailer is about 2800 lbs dry. It can carry 36 gallons of water and 30 gal. each for Grey and Black water.

Love the FJ, Love the Rpod.
Snooping entire thread and ran across your old post. Do you still love your Rpod? I've had the 180 at the top of my possibles-list and plan to buy next year. As a tent camper, just gathering info on what I have to research, learning more than I ever thought I'd want to know about weight distribution hitches, air springs, brake controllers and such! lol

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
1989 Checkmate Senator , 7.4 litre ,400+ hp , go fast boat .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,817 Posts
Had to move a hot tub today so broke out the double/simgle wide combo
Low deck height, tilt deck plus the superglides made it crazy easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I loved my FJ. But, horrible gas mileage when towing and relatively small gas tank AND my wife and I decided after using the RPod for 5 years we wanted something just a smidge larger. So we sold FJ (wow does it hold its value, and bought a Chevy Colorado diesel. Tows 2,400 more and gets much better mileage. AND we put it to the test after some pretty challenging (at least for me) driving near Kanab, Utah just this weekend. Settled on a Rockwood Micro Lite 2109S as the new Travel Trailer. Meets our needs! Miss the FJ, but feel pretty good about our decisions. Ask me in a few years when I will know if the Chevy is a dependable as the FJ. So far, not the case.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here is my rig, the trailer tops out at 3850#, I chose the single axle out of simplicity and compactness it is 17' with no slideouts. I was generally to be used for my daughters and I SCUBA trips but we have been camping quite a bit in it. The first two times out I just had a straight receiver bar, while the little bit of sway was acceptable the up and down pogo action bothered me. I had previously installed Air Lift 1000 air bags for my enclosed trailer. They help but as soon as I added the weight distribution and sway control, it tows like a dream, hardly know its back there until pulling a steep hill.

I also have a Hayden #679 Trans cooler, Prodigy P2 Brake controller and installed a 1" front coil level spacer. I plan on doing the axle spring over conversion to get a few more inches clearance on the camper, it does bottom out on some unimproved roads and the rustic State Park campsites we frequent

Did a three week SCUBA trip to Florida this summer, used the wifes 4Runner, the longer wheelbase and four conventional doors are Mo'better, and you can open the back up when hitched unlike our beloved FJ's

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Picked up an Escape Trailer Industries 17A this past spring. Love the simplicity of the camper. Tows great; no anti-sway or weight distribution hitch needed.

Attachments

501 - 511 of 511 Posts