Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a broken one after 45,000 miles. In about the same spot, called 2 dealers and they said no recall and out of warranty, they only could give me a quote.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Interesting to see that the ones with Billstein TRD shocks breaking the springs and all TTUE are on the Billstein TRD tuned shocks.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I have a broken one after 45,000 miles. In about the same spot, called 2 dealers and they said no recall and out of warranty, they only could give me a quote.

Call Toyota Directly. Talk to them (And be nice) Hopefully they will help you out..
They called me to follow up on the issue, and it is "Known" just not official recall YET..

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
I've got $20 says this is a metallurgical problem.

The alloy composition is wrong on this batch of springs, orrrrrr they heat treated them incorrectly.

The stress riser theory is a good theory too, but springs are designed to be stressed and not fail.

I used to know a guy with a scanning electron microscope who would have love to have tested one of these broken springs to see what the actual composition is, but we've lost touch.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I literally just bought an entire TTUE suspensions. Should I consider coating these in Eastwood rust encapsulator? Seems like I should at least to prevent the onset but if it's metallurgical in nature there isn't much I can do... wish I would have come across this thread earlier.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I literally just bought an entire TTUE suspensions. Should I consider coating these in Eastwood rust encapsulator? Seems like I should at least to prevent the onset but if it's metallurgical in nature there isn't much I can do... wish I would have come across this thread earlier.
This seems to be an issue in cold (snow/salt) prone places. From the pics of the TTUE that have had this issue. They show a lot of rust. Many with TTUE in Southern California/las vegas area. Have not had any issues with the springs

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
I'm going to say that it's highly unlikely that the steel alloy is at fault. Specialty steel mills produce thousands of tons of vacuum-arc-furnace processed alloy steels for use in winding large coil springs, and controlling alloy composition within tight limits is well understood.

Spring failure modes are also well understood, and if we could look closely at several samples of broken springs, we could very likely determine the root cause of the failures.

More likely contributors are:
1. A spring design that results in higher than typical stress levels, but does not result in fractures unless some other factors are present that further increase the stress levels;
2. A stress riser (small surface defect like a nick or notch) that was created during the spring winding process, or during the installation of the spring on the strut;
3. Related to #2 would be a defect in the powdercoat paint that, in a highly corrosive environment (like winter-salted roads) results in a small, localized, but deep corrosion pit that functions as a stress riser.
4. Some defct in the heat-treating process. Depending on how the springs are quenched, the first part of the spring that contacts the quenching medium (typically oil) will see the greatest thermal shock, with slightly less shock as the rest of the spring gets submerged. If all springs were oriented identically as they were quenched, this could help explain the consistent location of the crack.

It looks like almost all the failures are occurring at first turn at the bottom of the spring. A local zone of excessive hardness caused by improper heat-treatment could explain the consistent location, Random pinhole defects in the powdercoat paint would be unlikely to occur at the same location, but a consistently-located nick in the paint could be caused at multiple points during the painting, baking, and spring installation processes.

All the photos of broken TTUE springs I've seen on the Forum show severe rusting at the point of the fracture. I have not seen any photos of broken springs from Southern or Western areas that are generally dry, and where no exposure to road salt occurs. If the root cause is a defect in the heat treatment, then springs should be breaking regardless of environmental exposure.

We need more miles on more TTUEs to be able to see a clear pattern as to what conditions contribute to fracture, and a detailed failure analysis conducted by a metallurgist at a failure analysis lab.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts

I did the same and installed mine, but before I installed it, I polished the coil springs and shock bodies with Dri Wash N Guard which is hydrophobic. It’s what I use to polish the paint on my FJ. I figured it couldn’t hurt. I also make sure to wash the shocks/springs well and often in the hopes of avoiding this issue.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
Working on the FJ this weekend and I was less than thrilled when I discovered this...

Driver's side:
IMG_0832.jpg

Passenger's Side:
IMG_0827.jpg

I purchased these as takeoffs from a 2014 TTUE. They had a little under 5k miles when I got them and I have a little under 50k miles on them with my truck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Grrr, I'm about to put a new set on my 2011, and I'm concerned about this myself.
I'm tempted to just sell my springs and Pony Up for the Toytech lift springs.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Grrr, I'm about to put a new set on my 2011, and I'm concerned about this myself.
I'm tempted to just sell my springs and Pony Up for the Toytech lift springs.
This is a 2014 TTUE issue. Unless you purchased a PULL off set from someone with a 2014 TTUE, you don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
This is a 2014 TTUE issue. Unless you purchased a PULL off set from someone with a 2014 TTUE, you don't have to worry about it.
Did you receive information from TRD about that? I was planning to call TRD today to find out if they had identified the problem or not. Unless they changed something in the manufacturing process of the spring itself I would tend to believe I would get the same result which makes me question if I should spend the $200+ to replace the coils with the TRD ones again.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I have spoken to Toyota about this issue a couple times now.
In Fact, the TRD folks are watching this Thread!

They are seeing an issue, but, have not offered anything back YET.

YES, Call Toyota customer Care, and file a complaint. It is a KNOWN issue, but last I spoke to them (Last summer) not large enough to recall yet.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I do have a TTUE set, just not installed yet. Hearing about this issue as much as I have, I definitely have concerns about installing it now.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Not exactly true ... Toyota has been selling complete TTUE suspension kits (front Bilstein 6112 struts & THESE springs, plus rear Bilstein 5160 reservoir shocks), at very reduced prices.

Anyone who bought one of these kits has reason to suspect the springs.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Not exactly true ... Toyota has been selling complete TTUE suspension kits (front Bilstein 6112 struts & THESE springs, plus rear Bilstein 5160 reservoir shocks, at very reduced prices.

Valid POINT! I forgot about that!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Not exactly true ... Toyota has been selling complete TTUE suspension kits (front Bilstein 6112 struts & THESE springs, plus rear Bilstein 5160 reservoir shocks, at very reduced prices.

This is what I was getting at when I asked if anyone had information from TRD saying they had figured out the root cause. I don't know that I want to buy the replacement coils at $100 each to have them fail in the same way.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Living and working in sunny, dry S. California for decades, I may have been unaware of just how common broken front coil suspension springs actually are.

A few minutes search reveals dozens of photos of broken front springs on BMW, Chevrolet, Citroen, Ford, GM, Hyundai, Nissan, Peugeot, Saab, and Smart vehicles, and articles in auto service magazines discussing the frequency of coil spring fractures in Rust Belt areas.

Here's a brief writeup from a Senior Metallurgist at the Institute of Spring Technology, discussing automotive suspension spring failures. Looks like the biggest factor is stress corrosion cracking (SCC).

"However, SCC is by far the most common failure mechanism for suspension springs on all makes of cars, and in all countries where salt is used on the roads. This risk is ever present, particularly in winter, once the protective paint finish on the spring has been penetrated. "

"Putting a car away in a nice warm garage after a day out on salty roads has been known to cause suspension springs to go bang in the night due to SCC, and next morning the driver notices immediately because the jagged fracture surface of the spring punctures a tire."

www.springexpert.co.uk/images/WFTI 11 Stress Corrosion Cracking.pdf

For those who like to get into the detail of a formal Failure Analysis and enjoy electron microscope images of fracture surfaces, see:
https://ac.els-cdn.com/S2452321616303869/1-s2.0-S2452321616303869-main.pdf?_tid=00a31a66-d4e2-41fb-b3c8-2698273f4b3f&acdnat=1523917228_f40048ca51d4d919e66c8fc34a0920fc

21 - 40 of 69 Posts