Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll Start:

Tube Fenders. Give us a MetalTech option to Bushwackers.

I know there is probably no good place to bolt them up to give them support, but Mark and LT are smart and can figure this out. Maybe connect them from the tube bumper to the sliders like on an 80.

·
Premium Member
17,641 Posts
To really give them structural support you'd really need to weld them into the front bumper and weld them onto the slider. Which means you'd have to have MT bumpers and sliders. Doubt there is a huge market that has both (although I'm one of them and would be interested). Thats not even addressing the rear fenders either.

I'd like to see them produce the upper half to their tube door (bolt on part for existing tube door owners) which they had designed. Then come up with a set of skins for the tube door & a snap/zipper window. That probably has most market appeal and I've seen it requested on the boards several times.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Taillight replacements that are LED and recessed made from sheetmetal or aluminum. No one is producing these and I know there would be people prepared to buy them. X3 on the tube door idea mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure that tail lights are their area of expertise. I was thinking more metal fab from tube and steel.

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
I am not sure that tail lights are their area of expertise. I was thinking more metal fab from tube and steel.
A tail light housing can be fabbed from metal. Like the one Rusty makes for the XJ's. Might be a little harder to do with the curves involved with the FJ's tail lights.

·
Registered
838 Posts
How about a spare gas can mount that attaches to the spare tire mount and the hinge that sticks out from the rear door, Have it hold a 5 gallon Jerry can and bolts on

·
Registered
937 Posts
How about a spare gas can mount that attaches to the spare tire mount and the hinge that sticks out from the rear door, Have it hold a 5 gallon Jerry can and bolts on
If its in place of the tire ok. But not with the tire. We actually started to develop that with the proto FJ Toyota let us have access to in 05. The door hinges cant take the added weight.

To really give them structural support you'd really need to weld them into the front bumper and weld them onto the slider. Which means you'd have to have MT bumpers and sliders. Doubt there is a huge market that has both (although I'm one of them and would be interested). Thats not even addressing the rear fenders either.

I'd like to see them produce the upper half to their tube door (bolt on part for existing tube door owners) which they had designed. Then come up with a set of skins for the tube door & a snap/zipper window. That probably has most market appeal and I've seen it requested on the boards several times.
Working on this one. Its on paper phase right now and will be a reality probably mid summer. Lots of leg work on this one since we don't own sewing machines! We have a good top shop we are working with in NH.

I would just like them to focus on getting costs down to reflect in pricing.
Mark - Lots of little companies in the FJ Cruiser market working out of the barn, shed or their garage at their home. My hat is off to them this used to be Metal-tech the first 3 years (2000-03). When you have little to no major overhead you can sell stuff cheep, and even cheep stuff (little to loose). We chose the professional route to better develop new products, produce the products we make and ultimately provide premium products that not only look good but perform. We have steel tubing US made to our specs making products NO one else can compete with. We have in house technology that shops 4x bigger an in the Jeep market (10x the size of our market) only wish they had. But we are 100% exclusively Toyotas. We price our products according the quality they are and provide the best customer service in our industry. We are also around the next year or four. It all costs $. We may not be in everyones price range and we understand that. Same goes for the custom work we do in house. We send allot of business to other local shops when people are looking for cheeper work. We just wont cut corners to sell on price. We sell on quality, and yes good value is part of good quality. Just ask anyone running Metal-tech parts. Better yet ask anyone who beats the tar out of our parts and has been running them for 3+ years.

UPDATE: Steel just took a 7% jump and has another 15%-20% increase in Q2 this year.

Custom bead lock steelies.

DIY Beadlock Install write up

maybe not that ugly. but you get the idea.
Lots of pre made kits out there. In fact a number of places will laser cut your name into if you want. If you ever need a set welded up just let us know!

Great thread! Keep them coming!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
How about finished FJ40 tube fenders with an inner liner or at least a notched tubing kit? Something that reflects the original lines but a little tougher than the original.

I would like to see more additions to the stock FJ40 roll cage...primarilly a rear cross bar that is bent to allow the person in the back better protection without bashing their head.

Sort of along the lines of the Rock Hard Sport cages.

I think that there is a viable market for both.

You can use our FJ40 build as a test mule :bigthumb:

Doc

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
I would consider tube doors if they could be closed up for adverse conditions.
Good idea.
thanks
Don
YUP, like a jeep half door' with canvas skin/plastic window.... WOULD BE VERY KOOL... :rocker:

·
Registered
3,661 Posts

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Like this one?

Taillight replacements that are LED and recessed made from sheetmetal or aluminum. No one is producing these and I know there would be people prepared to buy them.
How about something like these:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Taillight replacements that are LED and recessed made from sheetmetal or aluminum. No one is producing these and I know there would be people prepared to buy them. X3 on the tube door idea mentioned above.
X2 on the taillights! no one is making any decent looking ones and I think there would be a good market to sell them. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 78 Posts