Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

941 - 960 of 966 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
I bought my 2012 in Feb 2012 ... Worked on it hard for a couple months and still working on it just after one year later .... will it ever stop ? Nahhhh ......:rocker:

what tire and wheel set up do you have? It looks killer!

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks! That photo was a couple years ago. 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs on 17x9 KMC XD Revolvers.

Current setup:

315/75/16 BF Goodrich KM2s on 16x8 Method NVs
Sweet new look! Why did you switch? What were the pros/cons of the 1) Goodyear Duratracs 2) 17x9 KMC XD Revolvers? Also, what offset and backspacing did you get on the Revolvers? I'm thinking of buying them if I can (they seem to be discontinued). Anything I should be aware of with these wheels? Appreciate any feedback you can give me on them.

Thinking of putting them on my 2011 FJ.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Sweet new look!
Thanks!

Why did you switch?
Bit of a convoluted story, so here goes... Last year I picked up a 96 80-series Land Cruiser that had the 315/75/16 KM2s on Vision Soft8 steelies. I wanted to swap wheels/tires with the FJ, and in doing so I found out the Soft8s had too much negative offset (hitting the front brake calipers) for the FJ which then required 1.25" wheel spacers. So I bought a set of spidertrax and after mounting the spacers and Soft8s with 315s on the FJ, I was getting a ton of rubbing on the already chopped body mounts. With FJ Summit fast approaching, I bit the bullet and ordered 16" Method NVs then had Discount Tire pull the 315s off the Soft8s and mount them on the NVs. This allowed me to ditch the wheel spacers, and after a 1/2" body lift and an alignment with max positive caster, the rubbing problem was completely solved and I never needed to cut or hammer any pinch welds in the wheel wells. Upgrading to 35s on the FJ (which isn't my daily anymore) has been totally worth the effort, and downgrading the 80-series to 33s (285 Duratracs on the XDs) significantly improved gas mileage.

What were the pros/cons of the 1) Goodyear Duratracs 2) 17x9 KMC XD Revolvers? Also, what offset and backspacing did you get on the Revolvers? I'm thinking of buying them if I can (they seem to be discontinued). Anything I should be aware of with these wheels? Appreciate any feedback you can give me on them.
Duratracs
Pros: Light, quiet, great in the snow and desert
Cons: Weak sidewalls and too soft for CO rocks. Busted two sidewalls in one year, one on the switchbacks of Black Bear Pass during FJ Summit, the other in the La Sal mountains outside Moab. Thank goodness for Discount Tire, both were replaced free of charge!

17" KMC XD Revolvers - 12mm offset
Pros: Strong alloy, doesn't require spacers, held up offroad just fine, sexy matte black
Cons: 17" - not really a con but 16" wheels allow for larger sidewalls, discontinued

If you're ever in Salt Lake, I will sell you all 5 of my XDs with Duratracs!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Really appreciate all the detailed information!!!! I wish I lived closer to Utah (to buy your XDs). Someday I will make it to the Summit. Thank you again!

·
Registered
3 Posts

nice looking fj's i know mine is not black but i just got it and is a work in progress i got a 2012 fj cruiser fresco silver with 154k miles any other vehicle at that mileage i would ahve not even thought of buying but its toyota

after i blacked out the winglets on the bumper

941 - 960 of 966 Posts