Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states....I am going to go look at another FJ. I currently live in Ohio and the others i have looked at had pretty bad frame rust even for where i live. This one is local and i will be looking at it this saturday. Here are the known details as described by the listing and messaging back and forth with the private seller:
  • 2010 FJ Trails Teams
  • Mileage: 78K
  • 1 owner with maintenance records
  • By the pictures it appears to be unmodified in stock condition
  • Couple small door dings
  • Asking Price is $21,000
Now some of this will need verified in person but he is local enough that i didnt need to dig too deep over the phone. Compared to what i have been seeing for sale this appears to be a good deal at the asking price assuming everything check out. With that being said i know that forums like this and others i have joined is by far the best place to go to get information. So before i head to look at it tomorrow, i would like to get the communities thoughts on the above details. Is there still room to negotiate, something i should specifically look or ask for or something im not thinking about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Adding some pictures for more detail. Also...who doesnt like pictures. Looking at these pics on something other than my phone i can see the interior needs a cleaning.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Looks pretty much stock. I would say look very closely for frame rust and try to assess if maint has been done on it (oil changes, trans fluid, coolant, etc, diff changes).

Assuming the maint/rust look satisfactory, I would jump on it. $21K and 78k miles and a TT will move quickly. In fact, if you're not careful someone will snatch that right out from under you before you even get to look at it tomorrow. Can you negotiate? Surely you can try and offer the seller something less than what they are asking. All they can say is no.

Agree with having to clean the front seats. That has been my one knock about the TT seats with the lighter colored inserts, they show dirt vs. the charcoal gray normal interior. I think the Sandstorm TT is one of the best ever colors for the FJ and the TT models.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If it were me, I would be worried about the front seats and if those are stains.

With that being said $21,000 (or less if you talk him down) I believe is a low price for 2010 with only 78k miles and a good service history.

But once again, the unknown for me would be the seats. I am huge on interior quality and if those are stains I personally would pass it up for something that may even have higher miles but better interior (but of course with good service history and minimal rust).

If I was crafty enough to buy new seats and put them in myself or isn't too much to have fixed, I probably would not let those seats deter as much.

I do also wonder why there is a folded towel right below the switch panel. Doubt it could be too major but it's just something I noticed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im not super concered about the stains/dirty seats. I wont let the seller know that but im most concerned with the maintenance history, rust and overall condition. Getting the interior cleaned is something i can easily handle.

·
Vendor
115 Posts
If the underside is good, looks like a great car. I find most of the stains can come out on the FJs we get in pretty easily. LA Degreaser and Griot's Garage Interior Detailer both work really well. Use a soft interior brush and don't work it too hard. May take a couple applications, but most stains will come out. Just don't use a stiff brush on it-that will harm the seats and can't really be fixed easily. The seat inserts for the 2010 I find to be the most challenging to keep clean. You know the drill-rust underneath is the key thing to look for. Also, check stuff underneath (engine mounts, brake housings, etc.), when there is frame rust, there are typically other problems as well. Good luck to you!

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
It looks great! Biggest thing is underbody & rust. It is unfortunate about the stained seats. I own a 2010 TT, and my seats are stained as well. I've tried steam cleaning, etc etc...it's just difficult. Nothing Wet Okole seats can't fix :) If rust is in check...go for it! Good luck!

Reactions: WebSnyper

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well...went out and took a look at it. The guy had it in his heated garage out of the rain which was super nice. Really didn't want to roll around outside in the cold rain looking this over.
Basically got straight to it and said am going start with looking at the undercarriage. He gave me a creeper and said have at it. I brought an extra set of eyes and we only really saw some surface rust in spots. Felt around inside the frame where I could get access and it didn't seem to be any issues there. IMO..living in Ohio its not showing any more surface rust than what you would expect to see and is at an acceptable level.
As for the appearance of the rest of the vehicle it just needs a good cleaning. Nothing hiding under the wash cloth on the center console. The seats do have some stains that might come out and It looks like he put his hand in the same spot on the steering wheel which rubbed off the silver color on the plastic. The exterior is the same. Let just say he didn't spit shine it to make it look pretty to sell.
Talking with him about service history he used the dealership for the first few free oil changes but after that bought the Toyota brand oil and changed it himself or had it done elsewhere. Other than some recall service it was regular maintenance and tire rotations.
Test drive was un eventful and drove great. Tested all the 4 wheel drive stuff in his gravel drive and everything seemed fine. The only mystery button was the RSCA Off button. Not sure if a light is supposed to come on when pressed. I asked the owner about it and he said he never has used it. Which led to the him telling me he hasn't 4 wheeled it or even through mud but was great in the snow.
Basically this has been a 3rd vehicle for him and he just bought a Jeep Gladiator, didn't drive it much and decided to sell it.
He wasn't moving on the price but looks like a good buy and i will be picking it up this week. Once my bank opens we are going to meet up to handle all the details at a branch closest to him. With COVID all branches are closed unless you have an appointment. Hoping to get something scheduled in by Thanksgiving.

TL;DR....Its fine and I'm buying it.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Well...went out and took a look at it. The guy had it in his heated garage out of the rain which was super nice. Really didn't want to roll around outside in the cold rain looking this over.
Basically got straight to it and said am going start with looking at the undercarriage. He gave me a creeper and said have at it. I brought an extra set of eyes and we only really saw some surface rust in spots. Felt around inside the frame where I could get access and it didn't seem to be any issues there. IMO..living in Ohio its not showing any more surface rust than what you would expect to see and is at an acceptable level.
As for the appearance of the rest of the vehicle it just needs a good cleaning. Nothing hiding under the wash cloth on the center console. The seats do have some stains that might come out and It looks like he put his hand in the same spot on the steering wheel which rubbed off the silver color on the plastic. The exterior is the same. Let just say he didn't spit shine it to make it look pretty to sell.
Talking with him about service history he used the dealership for the first few free oil changes but after that bought the Toyota brand oil and changed it himself or had it done elsewhere. Other than some recall service it was regular maintenance and tire rotations.
Test drive was un eventful and drove great. Tested all the 4 wheel drive stuff in his gravel drive and everything seemed fine. The only mystery button was the RSCA Off button. Not sure if a light is supposed to come on when pressed. I asked the owner about it and he said he never has used it. Which led to the him telling me he hasn't 4 wheeled it or even through mud but was great in the snow.
Basically this has been a 3rd vehicle for him and he just bought a Jeep Gladiator, didn't drive it much and decided to sell it.
He wasn't moving on the price but looks like a good buy and i will be picking it up this week. Once my bank opens we are going to meet up to handle all the details at a branch closest to him. With COVID all branches are closed unless you have an appointment. Hoping to get something scheduled in by Thanksgiving.

TL;DR....Its fine and I'm buying it.

Sounds like a great canvas to start with no matter your intention (mod or not mod, etc). I bought my 2007 back in 2014 much the same way, except the owner had kept it very clean. I was able to put money into baseline maintenance items that I wanted to do as it had about 76k on the clock, rather than dealing with stuff that had been broken or thrashed, or modded incorrectly. Sounds like a good purchase.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Congrats. Was afraid someone was going to snatch that up right out from under you before you could buy. Take a look at the owners manual regarding the RSCA button. If I recall correctly, you can push and hold that button for 15 seconds or something like that to shut off the side curtain airbag function. I believe it is activated by a sensor that "senses" rollover and will deploy the side curtain airbags. During offroading, you can get pretty good off camber angles that might trigger deployment, so you can override that function with that switch.

Plenty of seat covers out there you might want to put on. FJs have a notorious wear area on the drivers seat bolster anyhow. If you want to go with premium covers, you can also look at leather seat covers such as Clazzio that go over the OEM upholstery or Katzkin Leather seating that replace the OEM seat covers (e.g. remove the OEM fabric and replace with leather seating). I replaced my fabric with Katzkin leather and it cost me about $900 for DIY kit front and rear seats.

Given how inflated FJ prices are right now, I think the $21K is a great deal on a lower mileage TT model. Two years ago, I would have said, its a good price. This year, its an outstanding deal assuming no significant frame rust, etc. Post up more pics when you get it.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
For example, here is a 13 TT, with similar miles (80K) and mechanically identical to the 2010 TT and they want $16K more for that vehicle than what you are paying. They also made fewer of the 2010 TT model (1500). I think the cement gray is a great color, but I think the same of the Sandstorm TT.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts