Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all.
I'm looking at purchasing the van in the below link and will be towing it with my 2015 FJ. I have a 2 inch lift, upgraded shocks and trailer brakes. I was hoping you could share your thoughts about my FJ's ability to tow this van safely and add any suggestions for upgrades to help.
Thanks in advance guys!
it won't let me post the link to the caravan as it's my first post but the caravan is
XT12 HYBRID OFFROAD CARAVAN

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,854 Posts
Here ya go.
Should be a very easy tow for the FJ. Nice camper. I’ve been looking at the Bruder 4 for about a week now, first I’ve seen of this one.

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
what matters is its weight. The link shows empty weight is 1960kg or 4312lbs.

The FJ towing capacity is 4700lbs*. So, it will work, but note that your max content to pack into the trailer would be around 400lbs.

Keep below that and you should be OK.

Note that the towing capacity is not based on engine power, or brakes or cooling, those all have margin, but on your wheelbase which is really short. A longer wheelbase tow vehicle provides more safety margin for fishtailing and jackknifing under emergency situations.

* That link also says the trailer has built in brakes, which helps, and allows the FJ's towing capacity to be increased to 2250kg / 5000lbs.

Norm

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,854 Posts
Yea I noticed it’s heavy as hell for a unit of that size but it’s well built. I think it comes with stabilizer bars but if not I would consider adding them to the tow package.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here ya go.
Should be a very easy tow for the FJ. Nice camper. I’ve been looking at the Bruder 4 for about a week now, first I’ve seen of this one.
Thanks for your feedback. The bruder 4 looks nice as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I noticed it’s heavy as hell for a unit of that size but it’s well built. I think it comes with stabilizer bars but if not I would consider adding them to the tow package.
Would I look at a different tow hitch as well from to FJ stock one?

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,854 Posts
Would I look at a different tow hitch as well from to FJ stock one?
I don’t have any experience with the stock hitch, mine came new with an aftermarket one from the dealership which is much more stout than the factory so that’s an option but the stock hitch will do the job for this unit you’re looking at.
Anti sway stabilizers for campers may be something you want to look into but I don’t personally have any experience with them. They hook to the tongue of the camper, @Hannibal either has one or had posted a link about them at one time.

·
Premium Member
11,944 Posts
Toyota OEM hitch is a Class III - max 6,000 lbs tow and max of 500lb tounge weight.

IMO the trailer you are looking at is to heavy, 400 lbs to get you to max of 4,700 lbs won't take much. Filling up the water tanks, 2x full propane and 2x 20L fuel cans and your 400 lb window poof gone.

·
Premium Member
11,944 Posts
GVM - min 2,400KG
2,400 KG = 5,280 lbs nearly 600 lbs over max.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've brought a 2016 Holden Colorado so no issues with tow limit now, 3500kg. So I've brought the first camper. Thanks again everyone for the feedback, has deffinatly helped me decide saftey over potential issues towing with the FJ.

·
Desert Moderator
6,245 Posts
I've brought a 2016 Holden Colorado so no issues with tow limit now, 3500kg. So I've brought the first camper. Thanks again everyone for the feedback, has deffinatly helped me decide saftey over potential issues towing with the FJ.
I hope you got an exceptional deal on that Colorado - how long will parts be available for it now that Holden is dead?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dealership I purchased it from have just signed a contract for 10 years as a Holden outlet for parts etc. With the amount of holdens on the road I doubt there will be a shortage of parts and ability to have things done if required. Also got a great deal, reason for purchasing on a budget. This way I got to keep the FJ for the day to day fun stuff.

·
Desert Moderator
6,245 Posts
Dealership I purchased it from have just signed a contract for 10 years as a Holden outlet for parts etc. With the amount of holdens on the road I doubt there will be a shortage of parts and ability to have things done if required. Also got a great deal, reason for purchasing on a budget. This way I got to keep the FJ for the day to day fun stuff.
Colorado is just a rebadged Isuzu D-Max so there shouldn't be any parts issues for it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts