Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read on this forum that some folks have experienced the rear LCA frame side bolt hole wallowing out. It got me thinking.

The stock LCA bolt has ridges on the underside of the head which bite into the frame, keeping the bolt from moving around in stock configuration. When LCA skids are installed, the stock bolt will bite into the metal of the skid. I don't think there is any feature on the skid which in turn bites into the original bracket, thus the entire assembly is now subject to slight shifting around, as the LCA bolt is necessarily smaller than the bolt hole.

My question: Is this a problem only with the LCA skids, or have others without skids experienced this as well? In general, have folks noticed that the bolt holes have a greater tendancy to wallow out when LCA skids are used?

If a solution is required, which would work best:

1. Using additional fasteners to mechanically lock the LCA skid to the frame, in much the same way that All Pro uses additional self-threading bolts to lock their rear bumper into position. Alternately tack weld the skid. Either way, the skid is locked to the frame, and the LCA bolt is locked to the skid, and nothing should be subject to shifting around.

2. Using a larger bolt (if available) to reduce the amount of "slop" and thus reduce the tendancy to enlarge the hole if things shift around.

3. Other options short of just getting a custom weld on skid/heavy duty replacement bracket installed?

Thanks,
Shawn

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I've have TLC4x4 LCA skids on my rig for over a year and never had a loose bolt. Then again, my LCA skids/brackets get bashed quite often, so they may be held in place by deformation as well as friction. There are weld applications available, as you mentioned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts