Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
Which side of the wall is 'easier' so to speak? Or should I ask it this way: which side is less difficult or risky?
Here's the two GPS + Photo tracks that I've run for the last two years on Poughkeepsie:
2012 - Poughkeepsie Gulch At Ouray - Driving trip | EveryTrail
2013 - 2013 FJ Summit - Poughkeepsie Gulch - Driving trip | EveryTrail
The climb is basically split into two halves, divided by a rocky outcrop with some grass/weeds on top. Everything to the right of that outcrop is the "right side":

The "left side" is behind the green FJ where all the people are standing, the rock outcrop in the first photo is where the girl in the shorts is standing:

There's multiple lines up the right side, most people who climb it successfully put their passenger tire where the puddle is on the photo above (green FJ).

The left side is much easier to climb when the hill is wet, that's how most of us had to go up last year. One exception is just to the left of that rocky outcrop, here's the MetalTech FJ taking that line:

I wouldn't worry too much about it, you'll see it all when you get there. Everybody makes it up, most under their own power (no winching). We had to winch a bit last year because it was wet. I've never successfully made it up the right side myself, I led it last year but it was super wet. Only 1-2 FJ's made it up (they avoided the puddles better than I did) and then some jerk in a Jeep rolled up with both lockers and climbed it like a billy goat :flame::rofl:

My advice: bring a photographer, you're gonna get some cool photos out of it :rocker:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
right side

left side

right side

left side
:lol: j/k

For me, it has always seemed like the left side of the right side (where you put passenger tire just to the left of the ledge that's between the left and right side of the right side) is the easiest line.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, you'll see it all when you get there. Everybody makes it up, most under their own power (no winching). We had to winch a bit last year because it was wet...

My advice: bring a photographer, you're gonna get some cool photos out of it :rocker:
^^^^^ This ^^^^^

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
For me, it has always seemed like the left side of the right side (where you put passenger tire just to the left of the ledge that's between the left and right side of the right side) is the easiest line.
There's some obstacles where the line is obvious or physically dictated by the obstacle and your vehicle, Poughkeepsie really isn't one of them. It's two fairly wide (2-2.5 FJ's wide) runs with several routes for people to take. As hard as it is to figure out the perfect line while you're standing right in front of it :lol: it's even harder to try to explain it (edit) on the internet. That Metaltech FJ's line sure doesn't help :rofl: but it's a good show.

I'm leading Poughkeepsie again this year, hoping to have a bunch of out-of-staters. Imogene's pretty and Black Bear is scary but Poughkeepsie puts you back in your seat like your FJ is about to blast off :rocker:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
There's some obstacles where the line is obvious or physically dictated by the obstacle and your vehicle, Poughkeepsie really isn't one of them. It's two fairly wide (2-2.5 FJ's wide) runs with several routes for people to take. As hard as it is to figure out the perfect line while you're standing right in front of it :lol: it's even harder to try to explain it (edit) on the internet. That Metaltech FJ's line sure doesn't help :rofl: but it's a good show.

I'm leading Poughkeepsie again this year, hoping to have a bunch of out-of-staters. Imogene's pretty and Black Bear is scary but Poughkeepsie puts you back in your seat like your FJ is about to blast off :rocker:
Yep....I'm right there with ya....ready for take-off, man...

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
the line will depend on your vehicle setup and the condition of the wall that day by weather and vehicles that ran before you and moved rocks and dirt around.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I'm pretty excited about PK. Not worried. Black Bear? Yeah.... I really don't want to drive or slip off the cliff. :p :)

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
There are 1.5 lane roads that have 2 way traffic that are more scary than blackbear. And at 12K feet it's a long way down. Blackbear switchbacks are at the end of the trip and not as high compared to being at the peak tops.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Lmmmmm.... Birmingham has an exit off the interstate that I traverse 5 times per week where the ramp was designed for 1 vehicle but it's somehow evolved into a 2 lane ramp.

So I get what you're sayin': I'll be fine. :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
I hope between Jason and Buffett they can get my big ass Tundra up Poughkeepsie otherwise the winch cable is coming out. Black Bear is not that hard or scary just take your time. I did it last year in the Crew-Max with the help of Durhams and one of the organizes to get me around that blind corner at the top

·
Registered
313 Posts
Schofield Pass over the Devils Punch Bowl now that was scary. I would literally back up Black Bear before I do Schofield Again. Black Bear is the most notorius, Schofield is the deadliest 16 killed so far.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Were are really excited to have these guys up there as ambassadors this year. Big thanks to them for taking this on!

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Me and Baz walked up it and his comment was " where is this wall they speak of?" :lol:

Thanks for the spot LT

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Me and Baz walked up it and his comment was " where is this wall they speak of?" :lol:

Thanks for the spot LT
note to self.... next time, bring buggy

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
21 - 40 of 41 Posts