Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of us are going to do Poughkeepsie Gulch tonight after the Trail Leaders meeting.

If you want to come along, meet at HQ. The Trail Leaders meeting is slated for 8:00-9:00, but we will probably mount up as soon as it gets out, even if it's a bit early (In light of the lateness and loved ones left back in town, we will be heading out promptly).

:ninja:

EDIT: Finally, here are my photos/videos from this run...

---> LINK <---

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a quick update...

We had a great time.

There was no major damage.

Poughkeepsie Gulch is now open all the way (though we only sent one rig to the end, and when they came back with the report, we just turned back and came back down Mineral Creek to 550).

All five FJCs that went are now back to Ouray, and heading to sleep.
We will post up more of a report, as well as photos and videos tomorrow (or if not then, soon after).

·
Registered
917 Posts
That was one fast (speed) run up the mountain. Overall time made for a short night. I got about three hours of sleep. My boy had me up before 6:00. Thanks for letting me tag along.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Here's a couple of shots from this run:

The rest of the pics can be found here.

Had a great time.:rocker: Thanks for letting us tag along.:bigthumb:

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
So I'm making the assumption that no one made it up the ledge by the tree correct?

I'm still bummed that tree is only a stump now. It was way more gnarly when you would slam into that tree if you slid to the side.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
We did not make it up. Gave it a good run though. Next year......

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
We did not make it up. Gave it a good run though. Next year......
It really is the perfect obstacle for FJ's. It is the exact height of the wheelbase of the FJ. I think if I had lockers in my 4Runner, the extra few inches of wheelbase would allow me to get up, but who knows.

In 5 years of the summit, lots have tried, but no one has made it up.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OCR, u take awesome pics. This was by far one of the best trail rides at summit.
Why, thank you sir.....haven't posted any here yet, but they are coming.....sometime soon.......no, really :lol:

I would like to think that if it wasn't wet at the bottom and I was aired down lower than 20psi I might have made it. But, since so many have failed, I am not so optimistic anymore
I totally agree.
I am pretty sure the water and air are what prevented you from getting up that thing.

I mean, really....you couldn't even get up the winch wall without a winch. So, traction is obviously a major issue with getting up these two spots.

I would not expect to get my rig up that one (nor would I even try with less than what you have on yours), but if the obstacle were dry and you were aired down enough, I would fully expect to see you drive right up it.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
I would like to think that if it wasn't wet at the bottom and I was aired down lower than 20psi I might have made it. But, since so many have failed, I am not so optimistic anymore
You are right, but that's what makes that obstacle so challenging. It is always wet!

Someone year 2 (I think) got their two back tires about half way up the wall and we thought, "finally someone is going to do it", but then they slipped sideways and went back down. I think I winched them up it b/c they were too wonky sideways to even back down.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was pretty odd that at night I couldn't get up the wall but at day I took the same line and walked right up. I'll try again next year
Actually, not odd at all. It was definitely wetter that night.

Based on my previous experience with the 'Winch Wall' (e.g. when still stock, I drove up it when it was dry, once I had lift/tires/etc, and tried it, it was raining and had to be winched up), I know for sure that I wouldn't have been able to drive up it that night because of the water.

The next morning, I lead the 8:30 group on PG, and most of us drove up it (just had to help a couple rigs with a tow strap to make sure they didn't flop backwards....roof top tents, odd lines, etc) ....probably simply because it was drier in the day (it had ~hours of sunshine before we got there) than at night.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally, here are my photos/videos from this run...

---> LINK <---

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Finally, here are my photos/videos from this run...

---> LINK <---

:cheers:
Really great layout! Nice job!

Name has me piqued...i live 15 miles from Poughkeepsie NY:lol:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Really great layout! Nice job!

Name has me piqued...i live 15 miles from Poughkeepsie NY:lol:
Ha ha, cool.
I forgot to make the video 'public' before, but I've fixed it now. So, if you tried to see it earlier and couldn't, please try again.

Come on out to Summit sometime, and we'll show you the place :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts