Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone planing on running Poukepsie Gulch? I' signed up for Black Bear for the second time this Summit on Sat. but I would like to step it up a notch and maybe give Poukepsie a Go, Thoughts anyone??

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
If you have the rear locker, you will have no problems on Poughkeepsie. It's actually a very easy trail except for one optional obstacle and a hill climb with multiple lines.

It's my favorite trail in the area b/c it's not just a graded gravel road and Como lake is really pretty.

If I were going to Summit, I'd definitely go.....

Have a great time.

Sean

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
The two spots Sean mentioned can be quite a challenge; but they are a lot of fun. Make sure you have a good spotter though because you can get in over your head pretty quickly if you pick the wrong line on either of them (although the line to the far left on the hill climb is relatively easy). HERE'S a video of Graham (gsgmac) nearly rolling his FJ there in 2006 (although last year he went right up the line the first two jeeps in the video are having so much trouble with).

Jim

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A-Trac & Locker,OME,Nittos.. I would feel better if a Trail Team spotter was there,but it looks like they no longer exist. "Low and Slow". How long of a day is that trip? Any body else heading to this trail?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Much more fun at night.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Nice video Jim! That looks like a fun trail, lets give it a run.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
I'm in!

As far as spotters are concerned, we have plenty of very good ones on this forum. :rocker:
While Sandi still won't be lifted or protected underneath, I'd follow you anywhere. So, I guess I'm in.

I just might have to be the one taking the easy lines. We'll see.

When though?
I'd really like to stick with all of my 'official' runs.

Any chance you guys would be into doing this one either on Wednesday (or earlier in the week - since we'll be there for a week and a half before the Summit begins) or on soe other day, after the 'official' runs?

A night run is definitely in order for me this year, but I'd probably prefer to do this one in the day-light first.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
While Sandi still won't be lifted or protected underneath, I'd follow you anywhere. So, I guess I'm in.

I just might have to be the one taking the easy lines. We'll see.

When though?
I'd really like to stick with all of my 'official' runs.

Any chance you guys would be into doing this one either on Wednesday (or earlier in the week - since we'll be there for a week and a half before the Summit begins) or on soe other day, after the 'official' runs?

A night run is definitely in order for me this year, but I'd probably prefer to do this one in the day-light first.
I'm up for a run before the Summit. I will be there on Sunday before.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
:lol:
Hey, maybe we could do something earlier in the week, and then do a night run when MBA gets in on Wednesday evening.
MBA?

·
Registered
934 Posts
I would be up for an evening run or even a night run so keep me in mind.

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts

·
Banned
457 Posts
I wanna hit it this year also
For sure Jake, you should check it out.

But, looking at this thread, it might turn into more of an expedition, so take your camping gear with you. You'll end up getting to the wall at the end of day 2 or something.:rofl:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It would be nice ,for us, if we could run it on Sat. We've got Black Bear on thurs-0830,Fri-Imogene-0830, and Black Bear again on Sat,0830..I would like to be able to do Pookipsie instead of one of those Black Bears. Alpine was just too long/dusty for us to want to do again. Is there a loop to be made out of P.G or is it just in and out?

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
It would be nice ,for us, if we could run it on Sat. We've got Black Bear on thurs-0830,Fri-Imogene-0830, and Black Bear again on Sat,0830..I would like to be able to do Pookipsie instead of one of those Black Bears. Alpine was just too long/dusty for us to want to do again. Is there a loop to be made out of P.G or is it just in and out?
It connects to a myriad of options....You can summit California pass and head back down into Silverton via Animas Forks, you can go out Hurricane Gulch and I believe there's another option. Personally, all of those are sorta scenic, but I prefer to turn around.....it's the only trail that's even a little bumpy in the area.

Sean

1 - 20 of 177 Posts