Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Here's a question--can I pour water all over my engine compartment?

A few months back we had super-heavy rains and I took my FJ through four-foot deep puddles at speed for fun. It was fun and it made a good video.

Problem si my engine compartment, once sparkling clean, has a film of dirt over it from the water--ugly!

A neighbor says I can just garden hose it under normal pressure (i.e. no nozzle) to clean it off. I said, "Hmmmmm."

What do you think?

--Darin

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I prefer to use a high pressure hose myself.
same here. I would look and see where a lot of the electrical junctions are. I would try and avoid spraying high pressure directly into those areas though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hey RoverGGM,

I've read your posts and know you know what you are talking about--but let me double check here (since I'm afraid I know cameras but don't know engines...)

High pressure hose = Joke or serious? :)

--Darin

Update: O.K. now I see layonn's post--I guess a hose it will be!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
High pressure is fine just make sure not to hit vital parts...electrical wires etc.. full blast wipe down what you can...next time clean it up before it gets caked on there!

·
Registered
839 Posts
When I was a lad they taught us to wash the engine with a high pressure hose with the engine running. Otherwise it may not start for a while and it would be so embarrassing. However now that I'm older methinks they just enjoyed seeing us young-nus getting wet when the radiator fan sprayed water everywhere.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
High pressure is fine just make sure not to hit vital parts...electrical wires etc.. full blast wipe down what you can...next time clean it up before it gets caked on there!
same here. I would look and see where a lot of the electrical junctions are. I would try and avoid spraying high pressure directly into those areas though.
Jake and Layonn said it best,

I've pressure blasted every vehicle I've owned since I got my first '77 CJ-5. I believe it's much better to have a clean engine than a fear of getting it wet. A clean engine will let you notice anything out of the ordinary quicker and will be much more pleasant to work on if necessary.

I've put baggies over the alternator before on the Range Rover and Mercedes, but not on any Toyotas I've owned. Don't be an idiot and try to blow the wiring harness connectors apart using the nozzle and you'll be fine.

I've never had a non-start after a pressure wash.

Let your heart guide you, I cannot vouch for your results......those are mine :)

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
You can use a pressure washer to clean or hose down the engine, like others have stated keep the wand away from electrical connections or other sensitive bits. This is one task where being a little further away never hurt.

I would say when driving through the aformentioned puddle, the water that was coming into the engine compartment probably had close to the same fore/velocity behind it at points as what is coming of the end of the wash wand.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
I used my 1300 psi power washer to clean the engine bay. I also remove the grille to clean the radiator/condenser fins.

Avoiding a direct hit and just a quick pass/shower on the alternator, MAF, ABS connectors, fuse blocks and fox/auxiliary relays. Then I blow dry the engine bay with my leaf blower.

I usually wait for about an hour before I start the engine.

Here is the result;

·
Registered
639 Posts
I don't know about the use of a pressure washer in, or on a car/truck. I would not do it, but, as you can see, some have and will do it again, so it must work for some.
I can tell you that the motor will not get hurt. It is sealed real nice. I use a hose with a spray head, and it works well for me. I will even soap it all up.
RoverGGM found that a plastic bag over the alternator works well to keep it dry, sounds like a good idea to me. Also, a clean motor is the only way to spot small oil leaks.
I would clean it when the motor has cooled down, but still nice and warm.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've washed my FJ60 engine with a pressure washer. I don't see any problem with the FJC engine beyond those already mentioned except if it's hot and you washed the undercarrage and have a SCUBA Driver mod you probably want to cover the filter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts