Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since buying my FJC new in 2012 I've logged 42k miles. This truck has not been beyond unimproved roads for the 1st three years, but I've now decided its time to add mods and build it to ride with the big boys.

After shopping for wheels for some time and looking for a compromise finish balancing aluminum polish and black, I chose to pick up an second set of 2011 up OEM 8-hole wheels. Ended up buying a set of 5 from @hacarpenter5 on this forum. These included the TPMS sensors, center caps, and lug nuts. There were several benefits including cost compared to new, known fitment, and high quality material (like the TRD's).

To decide on the balance of black and aluminum polish, I took a wheel by a powder coater friend to discuss options. it was decided to powder coat the entire wheel with the exception of the flat band that come in contact with the tire bead. He actually masked this band off to shield paint.

Here are the pics for proof. I admit I wasn't sure how this would turn out, but after the fact I'm glad I went this route. Granted I've only had these installed for a week, so there's yet to be any real trail testing of the finish quality. This is TBD.

The tires are the Nitto Terra Grappler G2's in LT285/75-17. The last pic compares this tire to the OEM 265/70 tire: 31.6" compared to 33.8" height.

I had planned to spray the plastic center caps black, but thought why not try one with the OEM finish. I'm open to opinions here - the jury's still out. I have installed all four and must admit the contrasting colors are growing on me.

The Terra Grapplers balanced up great. I bought the tires when Discount Tire Direct ran an ebay sale late last fall. The local Discount Tire Center mounted and balanced the tires/wheels for the same cost as if I had bought directly from the store. Great service all the way around! I'm running 50 psi in the tires and they are surprisingly quiet and comfortable on the road.

The spare fit ok on the mount with the bottom of the tire just kissing the top of the bumper. It does open/close fine without resistance, but the contact can be heard. Any taller tire and this would be interference.

I'm looking forward to some trail time this spring to see how these tires perform.

Attachments

· Registered
2,671 Posts
I like it! They are unique compared to straight black wheels so they set your rig apart. The close up pics look awesome and the little bit of silver helps incorporate the rims into the silver body of the FJ. I'll definitely look forward to seeing you and your rig out on the trail some time soon!

· Registered
305 Posts
Nice! i was just searching to find pics of 285/75R17 tires.

Reactions: Codger

· Registered
2,998 Posts
Awesome looking. Love what you've done. Very good idea masking off the rims of the wheels. The center caps look great and will remain maintenance free. I think the tire resting on the bumper will in fact take some stress off of the tailgate hinges, another bonus. My son put those exact tires on his Taco. They are almost as tall as so called 35 inch tires w/o the width and weight which is a win win as long as your gearing can pull them. Well done and thanks for sharing.

Please let us know how that powder coating holds up.

· Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks great! I should have went this route instead of buying a new set. I like the contrast the caps give it.
Good to hear from you! Thanks again for making them available. These are growing on me so much my original plan of swapping out complete sets may go by the wayside.

Bet you missed your FJC when the epic snowstorm hit WV. :smile

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.