Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
34,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tried some samples of a new to me brand of powdered milk. Both white and chocolate. It's a brand that was made before, discontinued, and is now being brought back. It's Milkman Milk. They are supposedly known for adding a little extra cream to their products to enhance the flavor. It's really quite good.

For now they have foil lined pouches that make a quart of white or a pint of chocolate. You can get them in single packs or boxes of packs in different amounts.

They mix easily and when cold the milk tastes great. The only things I found wrong is that they don't have as long until their expiration date vs the cans from other places and the size of the pouches. It would be nice to have the white in actual 1/2 gallon sizes and the chocolate in quart and 1/2 gallon sizes too.

These will work great for having on hand for those times you run out of milk. They will also be nice to keep a couple in your vehicle or at work for when you get a craving for milk.

·
Admin
7,654 Posts
For numerous reasons.... I bought a freeze dryer, lol.

So now I make my own freeze dried milk and many other things.

We tried our own dried milk for the first time camping this year. It was pretty good.... if we allowed it to rehydrate longer than we did the first time, lol. It was pretty close to the original taste.
For some reason it was pretty foamy.... so letting it sit allowed the foam to settle as well.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
34,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Emergency Essentials used to carry the white milk and then they called them milk like beverages or something like that which were strawberry, chocolate, and vanilla. Lots of good reviews but I never tried them. I noticed they don't carry them anymore.

Reactions: Ragingbull02

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
34,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The two biggest things I learned and have read when making the powdered milk besides getting a good brand is to mix well and get good and cold before using.

I use a 1/2 gallon pitcher they sell that has a plunger with a disk with holes in it that is fitted through the lid. Add the powder and water and put the lid on then plunge it up and down several times to mix. Then overnight in the fridge.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
34,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered some cans of milk back in I think March. They were in stock but shipping was three months behind so I didn't get them until around June.

Thrive Life is where I get freeze dried foods and they were hit hard and out of food for awhile. They slowly plugged away at things and got a few items restocked here and there and it's not quite as bad. The other day they released the news that they are making changes so that they will have more production capabilities going on from here.

They are out of Salt Lake.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
34,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also keep track of two other places for bulk cans of stuff and they too were hit hard. One place is in Montpelier, ID and they've been trying to catch up and have been hiring several people too.

A place that I buy a few freeze dried meal pouches carries at least five or six brands and they were wiped out and just lately started having stock again.

Mountain House was wiped out and they discontinued several of their items and worked on what was left.

Epicenter out of Oregon carried a lot of MREs and freeze dried. Everything was gone and hard to get. They had several brands of MREs from military to civilian packaged versions. They had the owner and his wife, another guy, woman, and girl working for them and now they are down to just the owner and his wife.

Reactions: Ragingbull02

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
34,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like having a bit of the freeze dried stuff on hand. Thrive Life has a 25 year shelf life unopened and most stuff is good for a year after being opened.

They have a #2.5 and a #10 can size. Good for emergencies and good to use everyday if wanted.

On days when I'm really sore and don't feel like trying to cook a bunch of stuff I can use it to make a quick meal of meat and veggies or I can put a pan of water on to boil, add some different vegetables and meat to the water and they will hydrate. Add some spices and their bouillon powder and in fifteen minutes a soup. Add in some of their sauce powder and get more meat flavor plus it will thicken it to more like stew. Grind up some veggies like mushrooms and that will do the same. Use some cabbage flakes and another option is available.

Soups, stews, casseroles and that type of stuff is where it really shines.

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
Growing up in the '70s, during the nation's longest recession (8 years), with parents who'd grown up in the depression, we ate powdered milk and powdered eggs and never got meat that wasn't deeply on sale (and tasted like it).
I thought I didn't like any of those foods, until much later when I got to eat the real thing and was surprised!

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
34,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Growing up in the '70s, during the nation's longest recession (8 years), with parents who'd grown up in the depression, we ate powdered milk and powdered eggs and never got meat that wasn't deeply on sale (and tasted like it).
I thought I didn't like any of those foods, until much later when I got to eat the real thing and was surprised!
Yep Carnation instant milk with that sandy sawdust texture. We had friends with fresh eggs now and then and store bought otherwise. We did get commodities with cheese, canned meat, peanut butter, and other stuff for awhile. I still remember the meat being sliced thin and fried. It was a lot like Spam fried which we ate a lot. Lots of macaroni with tomato juice too. It was twenty years later before I tried really good powdered milk. I had dinner with friends and she asked if I wanted a glass of milk and I said sure and drank it. Then she asked if I wanted another glass and while drinking it she asked if I liked powdered milk and I mentioned the good old Carnation stuff. Blew me away how different that new stuff was.

Reactions: amaclach

·
トヨタ Master
9,809 Posts
I ordered some cans of milk back in I think March. They were in stock but shipping was three months behind so I didn't get them until around June.

Thrive Life is where I get freeze dried foods and they were hit hard and out of food for awhile. They slowly plugged away at things and got a few items restocked here and there and it's not quite as bad. The other day they released the news that they are making changes so that they will have more production capabilities going on from here.

They are out of Salt Lake.
All the good prepper foods come from UT. They just need to hire a few more Mormons so the shelves are stocked again.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
34,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All the good prepper foods come from UT. They just need to hire a few more Mormons so the shelves are stocked again.
They have a good process set for the church. They have a cannery in Ogden that my sister went to with some friends and helped them out. In exchange she got to stock up on some stuff really cheaply for her help. EE has been in business in Heber and had three stores at one time and just in the last year went online only. I haven't seen anything official, but I think there was a merger or buyout of some kind with Auguson Farms as a lot of there foods are on the site now.

Thrive Life opened their big freeze drying facilities around five years ago and it's an area close to the farms where they have contracts and shipping hubs. If I remember right they have their stuff like say fruits and veggies picked and in the freeze dryers within 24 hours to be able to preserve as many of the nutrients as possible.

Reactions: CabinCruiser

·
Premium Member
12,914 Posts
Never tried the powdered stuff.

Condensed - sure
Bag-o-milk - yup

1 - 20 of 26 Posts