Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Limited Edition FJ. Some months ago a problem started with power draining from the battery when the vehicle not in use. A local dealer checked the power system and found the radio is pulling power from the battery when the vehicle is switched off. It came with an Eclipse modle AVN5435 Nav/Radio unit that was installed at the port by Southeastern Toyota. Anyone experienced problems with power drain? Suggestions?

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Sounds like the Eclipse may have been wired to an "always on" 12 volt source as opposed to one through the acc. ignition switch. But unless it sits over a couple of days I wouldn't think it would drain the battery unless it's the original battery perhaps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a battery issue. The draining of the battery never happened until the vehicle as 2 years old. The battery has been replaced and the dealer seems to believe the drain is coming from the Eclipse unit. Called Eclipse and their service techs will not talk directly to a Toyota customer, claim to have an agreement with Toyota that does not allow that. Hate to spend the bucks to replace the Eclipse, if the problem with the existing unit can be resolved.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Can you turn the Eclipse unit on without the key being in the ignition and switched on? If so, the previous poster is correct, it's wired incorrectly. If not, the most logical thing I can think of would be a leaky protection diode in the 12vDC input section of the Eclipse.

The same could be true of any associated power amps or powered subs that might be in-line with the system.

Have you checked the current draw with the FJ turned off? That might give a good hint as to where the current draw is coming from.

-Matt

·
Registered
790 Posts
Do you have any other aftermarket electronics installed?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Put a meter on the battery and start pulling one fuse at a time until you find it. Or you can put a cut off at the battery. That is what I did on my convertible comero. During long periods of time of non use I through the disconnect and no problems

1 - 6 of 6 Posts