Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone successfully rerouted the feed to the 400W inverter from a second battery vs from the stock feed?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Re: Power Inverter feed from Aux. Batt.

I don't think this has been done yet.

Looking at the FJ Electrical PDF, pages 216 and 330 are the schematics for the inverter. It looks to me like the +B feeds it, but sometimes these types of vehicle schematics can be confusing.

Let us all know if you do it successfully!

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Pages 214 & 215 clearly show B+ from the inverter connecting through a relay and then through an 80Amp fuse to the battery...It is a Black cable, which in my opinion is a poor color choice by Toyota, as black should be reserved for Batt-
Ya I found that. It's right behind the stock battery. ( I O gree about the red)
Problem is it looks like if I want to have the terminal board at the passenger kick panel (a la Sol, sbechtold) be the supply, I'll have to find the feed to that relay/fuse and run it inside the cab. Not sure it's worth it. May just ad a new 1200W to the stock setup.

·
Registered
74 Posts

So this will power my 30" Cinema display to my laptop? I always wanted to mount that thing on the ceiling as a joke...

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

Once I install the second battery on the passenger side fire wall I will install the 1000W inverter I have up under the glove box on the passenger side. Two short #2 wires will supply the inverter. 120V wires can be run anywhere on the rig from there.

You are better off keeping the inverter as close to the battery as possible as you require a high amount of power to run it. Once the power has been converted to 120V the gauge of wires required is far smaller, 12 or 10 gauge will work well, just like in your home.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Once I install the second battery on the passenger side fire wall I will install the 1000W inverter I have up under the glove box on the passenger side. Two short #2 wires will supply the inverter. 120V wires can be run anywhere on the rig from there.

You are better off keeping the inverter as close to the battery as possible as you require a high amount of power to run it. Once the power has been converted to 120V the gauge of wires required is far smaller, 12 or 10 gauge will work well, just like in your home.
Good points. I think I'll take your advice. I wonder what gauge is used for the stock 400W. I have #6 running into the cab now. You think that's too small huh? Also, what amp fuse will you use for that 1000W?

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

I will use #2 cable and a 60 AMP fuse for starters. It may require a larger fuse, I have to look at the specs for the inverter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts