Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
* UPDATE * Guess what just arrived at my door. I feel like a kid at Christmas, that didn't get underwear or socks! I am calling now to get it installed, ASAP.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
* UPDATE * FINALLY!!! Got the steps installed by a local truck accessory shop. They commented on how well built the steps were. I was charged 200 for installation. The only thing they said was different in the installation, most steps come pre-assembled. It added about 30 minutes to installation. All of our other trucks have AMP Research steps and to me, these steps are very comparable. Here is a video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mkvjm3ytkc6xzjs/IMG_0329.mov?dl=0

·
Registered
270 Posts
Nice, can you get some shots shots of the full look folded? Is the motor/wiring the lowest point on the steps? Hard to tell for sure in the video.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Nice, can you get some shots shots of the full look folded? Is the motor/wiring the lowest point on the steps? Hard to tell for sure in the video.

Hope these help. I would have to measure it to be sure, but it seems the motor is the lowest point.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Not bad at all, looks like you'll still protect the rockers/doors fairly well from tire rocks.
My one concern is this, is there any opportunity to tuck the motor up a little higher? I don't know how that gearbox mounts to the link assembly. If not, it appears to be the lowest thing outside the frame rails.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
There are a few inches to play in any direction. It is mounted above the bottom of the frame and sits above the driveline. Those were my two concerns. On my way to the grocery store yesterday I was at a traffic light and was flagged down by another FJ owner. He was next to me at the light. I pulled in to HEB parking lot and asked me where I got my rock rails. I opened the door and laughed when I saw the look on this face. We talked for a few minutes. Low and behold another FJ owner pulled up just to say hello. He then got in the conversation about the steps. They both wanted to buy a set and met me at my home last night. The steps do make it easier to enter/exit the FJ. It also is much better footing compared to the slick rock rails I had.

·
Registered
270 Posts
There are a few inches to play in any direction. It is mounted above the bottom of the frame and sits above the driveline. Those were my two concerns. On my way to the grocery store yesterday I was at a traffic light and was flagged down by another FJ owner. He was next to me at the light. I pulled in to HEB parking lot and asked me where I got my rock rails. I opened the door and laughed when I saw the look on this face. We talked for a few minutes. Low and behold another FJ owner pulled up just to say hello. He then got in the conversation about the steps. They both wanted to buy a set and met me at my home last night. The steps do make it easier to enter/exit the FJ. It also is much better footing compared to the slick rock rails I had.
Nice:LOL:
Can you maybe get a close up shot of the motor/gearbox and how it's mounted?
What's your final number for a set shipped in CONUS?
Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I will get a picture later today. It is raining now. I can get a set delivered CONUS for $987.00.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Nice:LOL:
Can you maybe get a close up shot of the motor/gearbox and how it's mounted?
What's your final number for a set shipped in CONUS?
Thanks again!
Here is another video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ru45o5ktmkjf6a9/IMG_0340.mov?dl=0 The motor/reservoir can be mounted and adapted to be placed in different locations. Also, the steps can be adjusted to sit closer to the FJ. These are preference type things.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Whenever, haha. Did you receive multiple sets already, or just the one to demo?
Do you take PayPal?

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I purchased quite a few because of the demand. I held a few for FJ Forum members. As of right now, I have 7 sets remaining out of the 20 ordered.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
If I pick up a kit, I want to add a double switch like this one to allow me to select whether or not each running board is active. One for passenger and one for driver. Fits Toyota switch cutouts. Could put it in the center console (only have one open slot) or behind the turn signal beside the RSCA button.

I may not want it going up and down if I'm offroading, and my wife who is fairly short will get a lot more use out of it.
I figure the easiest method would be to use it to interrupt the door switch circuit.

https://customswitches.com.au/product/custom-double-switch-to-suit-toyota/
I am installing a dual switch for my rock lights. When it is set to auto, the lights will come on when steps are deployed. The on switch will turn lights on regardless of steps.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ordered a few of these double switches from KW Electronics Ltd, much cheaper option. H880TVAAAA
Should be able to fit one in a switch blank to enable/disable each step's door switch.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts