Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

These use LED lights instead of a flame like a regular road flare uses.
These come in two formats, a replaceable battery type (CR 123), and a rechargeable type.
At the time I wrote this, to get the rechargeable ones you must buy then in a six pack which comes with a case they all fit into and it plugs into a 12v outlet.

I got to use these at work on 1-16-2008.
I often move freight at work on a shuttle when it is dark out.
Workers come into work when it is still dark out, and I usually set out orange safety cones around my shuttle so they will see that the shuttle is there and not drive into it.

For the most part that works, but often workers drive in to fast, I guess they are in a hurry to find their favorite parking spot and get inside to get that first morning coffee.

I set one Powerflare on top of my safety cone, and it was visible clear at the other end of the parking lot.
I was really impressed with it.

Later in the day when it was light out I had to use the shuttle again over at the corporate building where they often drive in very fast too.
I set the Powerflare about 15' behind the shuttle so they would have plenty of warning that I was working there.
I talked to a few of them and they said they could see it very well and though it was a great idea for safety.

Here is a video I made at home showing the various patterns the Powerflare is capable of doing.

YouTube - Powerflare

I am going to dispose of my road flares I carry now as soon as I find out the correct way to dispose of them.

These Powerflares are a lot safer, and I can see many uses for them from working along side the road if your vehicle breaks down, in the back country where you need help, to using them at work like I did the other day.

They are also waterproof down to about 80', the number of uses for these you can come up with is many.

Links:
Website
Online store
Red/amber LEDs with orange shell (I ordered a yellow shell instead)
PDF file I scanned in of the brochure that came with them

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Yeah, but if you get lost in the woods, there in no more sure fire way of getting found then using a flare to set a huge wildfire. They send planes and helicopters looking for you and they even bring you water that they drop out of the plane to keep you going until they can find you.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are ordering about twenty or more of these today for Boeing for our group as a safety gift.

My main reason to get rid of regular flares and switch to these is safety.
I do not like carrying road flares that "could" have something happen to them while in my cargobox.

I have heard of flares going off by themselves.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Very cool Corey, nice find and video. I like how they have different types of modes they you can set. Cool :cheers:

Mike

·
Registered
595 Posts
Corey, this is a better alternative to the fire flares and thanks for spreading this product.

In 2003, a hunter was lost just 25 miles east of San Diego. He then started to use fire flares so he can be located. But due to the strong winds, a fire started and caused the biggest fire in California. The Cedar Fire brought down almost 500 homes, some human and animal casualties, and millions of $$$. We had to evacuate that week as the fire spread way too much too quickly.

Cedar Fire | San Diego Fire-Rescue Department

YouTube - San Diego Cedar and Paradise Fires October 26-28 2003

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guy's are welcome.
After doing research as to the danger of old fashioned flares, I feel very well in giving them up.

These LED ones will never start a fire like that one on California or start one in the back of my rig.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
I bet UFO sightings are going to go up as people use these for hoax videos and sightings.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
I know this is a couple years old, but wow! These things are really cool!
Thanks for sharing.

So....not to be a party pooper, but does anyone know if there is anything even similar to these things out there that are less expensive? As I was reading about them and checking out some of the videos on Youtube, I was seriously thinking about adding these to my list of equipment to get next....thinking I'd get a set of the rechargeable ones, but once I saw the pricing, I snapped out of my infatuation.

Not to say they aren't worth it. I think they are.
It's just that, even at $50 a piece for the non-rechargeable ones, I'm not able to swing anything like that right now.

I have a bunch of these magnetic LEDs from ThinkGeek.com and use them for mobile art work (lower section of this page is example from a couple years ago), but they're not on the level of being able to do what these Powerflares do.

Anyone know of a cheaper (even if it's 'cheaper' in the negative way as well) alternative out there anywhere? Even something much simpler would be valuable to me at this point.

Update:
I just did a google search for 'magnetic safety light amber flashing' and found there are indeed lots of other variants out there.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Thanks, bud.

I did some looking around, and found these 'FlareAlert' brand ones for less...
SALE - Flare Alert Beacon Reusable LED Road Flare - $7.75 - PK Safety Supply
SALE - Flare Alert Beacon Pro LED Road Flare - $13.95 - PK Safety Supply
SALE - 3 FlareAlert LED Emergency Beacon Flares with Storage Bag - $18.00 - PK Safety Supply
Amazon.com: FlareAlert Power Outage Emergency LED White Light Kit: Home Improvement

To be clear, these from FlareAlert are not at all in the same league as the PowerFlares, but if price matters, and you just want something that does one, simple thing, it seems like these will do the trick.

As for a legitimate contender to the PowerFlares though, here's another one I found that's about half the price...
Aervoe LED Road Flare
Better price

:bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts