Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Electric power just went out in our neighborhood.

Wife just got txt from a college in another city about 5 miles away, asking if we lost power too. So, it's a bit more wide-spread than I first realized.

Since I have a pretty good UPS on my computer and all connected equipment, I'm able to get online and post up, but will be shutting it all down soon.

Time to check the supplies and checklists, I guess. I mean, I'm assuming this is just one of those occasional, minor issues that happens from time to time, but I'll use it as a good reminder to do a review...

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
power back on.
checked things, got soem yard work done, and now watching the game on TV in my comfy, air-conditioned home :bigthumb:

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,233 Posts
We lose the power here once in awhile. Sometimes it's from a transformer that blows up or from a pole or two knocked down by a car. In the winter we can lose it from downed lines from ice and wind too. Usually the power company, which I worked for, did a great job of getting it going in a reasonably short time. There have been a couple of times that it was out for an extended period. Once in the summer which wasn't bad and once for about 8-10 hours at night in the middle of winter. I just put on a jacket around the house while I was still up and then snuggled down in bed with an extra blanket. It wasn't too bad really. I have several flashlights around the house if needed and when I got up I used a small camp heater that is safe to use for a short time to warm up a bit. I had some food that didn't need to be cooked and bottles of water so all was good. It does give one a chance to see what they need to do in that type of situation though. If it had lasted longer I have some good sleeping bags, extra blankets, and two different insulated bib/coat options along with other normal winter wear too.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep. All good points....we've experienced similar here too. Flashlights in known locations throughout the house, plenty of non-cook food and water, and being from MN originally, oh ya I'm all set for the cold. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
39 Posts
The last place I lived had scheduled power outages for maintenance every few months. I personally enjoy it when the power goes out. Everything gets quiet, the kids all play games together or just hang out.

What amuses me most is when it comes back on and you realize just how much junk was running when it went out.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,233 Posts
Ain't that the truth. I hate it when I'm watching a show that has a low volume and the TV volume is turned way up. I always nod off and then the power comes back on and the sound from the TV hits like a damn train horn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts