Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I hate the look of the tire cover and the trash can lid... I wanna be able to run my spare with just rim and center cap so I'll have to get a pre back up camera tire carrier... I'm wondering if that's something that anyone who has used a modified carrier might have lying around... I'm also wondering if anyone else has removed their back-up camera and done this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
So you're going to ditch your backup camera completely?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the plan... It looks like it can be pretty simply unplugged and set aside... That way I can enjoy the aesthetic pleasure of gazing at my gorgeous wheels, without the inconvenience of trying to ascertain my surroundings by scrutinizing a postage stamp sized video screen. Feel free to talk me out of this... I'd even consider relocating it... It's just such a terrible design that I simply cannot abide. If you look closely at the 2011 TT pics on the Toyota website, they're just running it sans cap or lid with the damn carrier protruding through.. If that doesn't prove that even they think the covers look awful, I don't know what does...

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Ok. No I don't think I'll try to talk you out of it. I'm a little jealous that I don't have a backup camera.... but it's one of those, "why don't I have one of those..:(" But in reality, I would probably never use it, and would find the tiny screen annoying and distracting from the rearview. But then again, I've never seen one in person before, so....Idunno. Bla bla bla, I completely get what you're going for. For the record, have you looked into the tire carrier design? I mean, are you sure they are any different? I know my holder has a couple of pointless design cues to the center of it, that I could see somebody mounting a camera system to it.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I have one you can have for $25 plus shipping

PM if interested

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm... Good point Capt.. Before I go and buy another part that I already have.. I might as well figure that out... NCFJ... I'll keep your offer in mind..

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a used 09 FJ and the previous owner put the camera under the bumper. Depsite not liking the stock setup I would prefer it to where it is now. My problem is that I don't have the stock mounting bracket for the camera. I would be interested in buying yours if you are going to move your camera.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is a great idea, I will have to look into modifying a center cap. My problem is I don't have that bracket but I suppose I could try to put the lens in the center of the cap along with a custom shim to angle it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts