Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all - putting together info before I purchase my new FJ - Will be around town, highway and some serious off road on weekends/vaca etc.
FJ comes with 17" wheels or 16" off road wheels.

Pros and cons of each? BF goodrich all terrains on 16" wheels - why? Better for off road? Don't get it - can some one help?

Thanks in advance - want to be ready and informed when I go to dealers or shop on line...

Is there a thread already where I can read about this? I am uninformed about wheels/tires - also not so good at navagating around this site yet...

All that aside I AM PSYCHED AND ALMOST READY TO LAUNCH!!!

·
Registered
961 Posts
I am going to gloss over a bunch of stuff to generalize here..
BFG's tend to nice for offroading, there are many others just as good or better and worse too. (I own some BFG KM2's)
The 17's have a shorter side-wall and are therefore stiffer riding though they are nice. The 16's have a taller side-wall (given the same tire circumference and side wall/belt rating) and are therefore softer so they conform better while off-road. This is the same reason we air-down while off road.

HTH.
Good luck with your new toy..

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
If you're going to start doing serious 4x4 trails you will end up wanting 33" (or more) tires which the dealer wont sell to you. IMHO: If you think you'll get a lift, hold off on the tire upgrade until you get the lift. 16" or 17" wheels work fine. I run 17" and have put my tires through hard off road.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bartt - thanks for this info - did not realize circumfrence was the same - makes sense that a higher sidwall is preferrable as provides more squish - gotta ask if I don't get it !

This site seems great - lotsa good folk here! Thanks again!

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you're going to lift it, you'll get a bigger tire, and you'll have enough "squish" with a 17" rim. I run a 16" rim with 33" tires (285/75/16) and love the set up. IMHO you'll be ok with a 16 or 17 if you go bigger. If you keep the stock BFG's (I would not recommend a non-ll terrain tire, unless you go with a mud or more aggressive terrain) I would suggest the 16" rim. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts