Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Next time I need wheel bearings, I will definitely get these. Last time, I pressed them myself, (not hard with a press), but you can't beat the price of these. I paid $130/side for just the bearing (moog), seal, and o-ring and then had to do it myself. For an extra $60, you get a whole new hub and wheel studs and no time spent pressing, now that's a bargain.

Reactions: MIDSTATESOFFROAD

·
Registered
328 Posts
This is awesome and at a really good price. I am due but I need to check to see which one is making the noise. I should just be safe like always and purchase the set and replace both. How hard is it to replace the Spindle seal? Looks like there is some more technical tear down to it according to the DIY on this site. I'm confident in the wheel hub replacement but the other gets into areas of suspension I have never ventured. Thanks for putting this together. You will see my order in the next month or so depending on time.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
This is awesome and at a really good price. I am due but I need to check to see which one is making the noise. I should just be safe like always and purchase the set and replace both. How hard is it to replace the Spindle seal? Looks like there is some more technical tear down to it according to the DIY on this site. I'm confident in the wheel hub replacement but the other gets into areas of suspension I have never ventured. Thanks for putting this together. You will see my order in the next month or so depending on time.
When you replace the wheel hub the spindle seal normally falls out with it, or you can pop it out with a screwdriver. There's no extra steps involved replacing the seal, it's just a matter of whether you reuse your old or buy a new seal. What DIY are you looking at?

·
Vendor
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Next time I need wheel bearings, I will definitely get these. Last time, I pressed them myself, (not hard with a press), but you can't beat the price of these. I paid $130/side for just the bearing (moog), seal, and o-ring and then had to do it myself. For an extra $60, you get a whole new hub and wheel studs and no time spent pressing, now that's a bargain.
Thanks! I'm looking into offering some more upgrades here in the future.

The spindle seal is placed between the axle "half shaft" and the back of the spindle. Most people don't replace them because of the extra work involved in getting the spindle off of the axle. I did it by removing the 2 lower mount bolts that hold the bottom of the spindle and carefully pulling it out and away from the end of the axle. That's as far into the suspension as you will need to go. No messing with the coilovers or control arms. I was surprised by how much "gick" was inside that spindle housing when I took mine apart.

It's not particularly hard, but it looks daunting. However, once you are this far into the front end those last two bolts are no biggie! The first one I did took about 2 hours to set and think my way through it. Each one after takes about 45 min per side.

Just remember to take pictures and make sure you put your dust shield back in just the right orientation when you bolt the bearing back on, or else you have to take the entire thing apart to flip the cover over. (ask me how I know) Good luck, and ask as many questions as you need.:rocker:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks! I'm looking into offering some more upgrades here in the future.

The spindle seal is placed between the axle "half shaft" and the back of the spindle. Most people don't replace them because of the extra work involved in getting the spindle off of the axle. I did it by removing the 2 lower mount bolts that hold the bottom of the spindle and carefully pulling it out and away from the end of the axle. That's as far into the suspension as you will need to go. No messing with the coilovers or control arms. I was surprised by how much "gick" was inside that spindle housing when I took mine apart.

It's not particularly hard, but it looks daunting. However, once you are this far into the front end those last two bolts are no biggie! The first one I did took about 2 hours to set and think my way through it. Each one after takes about 45 min per side.

Just remember to take pictures and make sure you put your dust shield back in just the right orientation when you bolt the bearing back on, or else you have to take the entire thing apart to flip the cover over. (ask me how I know) Good luck, and ask as many questions as you need.:rocker:
Thanks for the information. I will probably view it the same way as "oh whats 2 more bolts?". My wife laughs when I do work on the cars asking how I get so dirty. I tell her its because I'm thorough.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Got mine installed last weekend, thanks for offering a great product at a great price! My driver's side bearing was still good (best I can tell), however my passenger side was definitely shot. I could hear the bearing grinding when rotating it by hand after removing it from the truck.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts

·
Vendor
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Got mine installed last weekend, thanks for offering a great product at a great price! My driver's side bearing was still good (best I can tell), however my passenger side was definitely shot. I could hear the bearing grinding when rotating it by hand after removing it from the truck.
The first set I pulled off mine fell apart in my hand. Crazy how bad they can get yet still hold onto the hub.

Can you order them in blue?
:rofl::rofl:
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:
Baz, you order a set and I'll make sure they are blue when you get them!:rocker:

Wow.... :lol::lol:
He's a scary dude, sometimes...:rofl:

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
He's a scary dude, sometimes...:rofl:
Yes... Yes he is... All that blood rushing to his head because he drives upside down on that part of the planet.... :rofl:

G'day Zack.
Spindles?

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:
Baz needs a "Blue intervention" :rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Yes... Yes he is... All that blood rushing to his head because he drives upside down on that part of the planet.... :rofl:

Baz needs a "Blue intervention" :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Wot?...another one?
Strewth Ruth...:lol:
Last one musta worn off...

21 - 40 of 160 Posts