Last one musta worn off...
:rofl::rofl:
:worried: Hardly noticed.... :worried::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Yeah, spindles are tough. Those bad boys are expensive to source. :worried:
Uhh really...Who doesn't know what a spindle is?

Maybe this will help..........................

A spindle is a part of a vehicle's suspension. Tying the wheel and tire into the steering system, the spindle is in the front of the vehicle in most cases; however, some front-wheel drive vehicles also have rear spindles. The spindle pivots between the upper and lower A-frames or on the strut. Both the inner and outer wheel bearings ride on the spindle and the retaining nut on the end secures the wheel into position. On most vehicles, the front brake caliper is also mounted on the spindle.

Acting like a short axle, a spindle is used to attach a wheel assembly to a vehicle. Typically manufactured from a forged piece of steel, spindles must be extremely strong and durable to support the weight of the vehicle. While most spindles utilize a wheel hub to mount the wheel and tire in place, some wheels are mounted directly onto the spindle without the use of a hub. These wheels are known as spindle mount wheels.

Often, trailers and farm implements use spindles in place of solid, full-length axles. These spindles are subjected to incredible loads and occasionally break. When this happens, it is seldom possible to weld the spindles in place and repair them. New spindles are used to replace broken ones and are typically changed as a complete unit. The use of spindles instead of axles on machinery allows for better articulation and movement of the tires and suspension from side to side.

A vehicle's spindles rarely require specialized maintenance. Greasing the inner and outer wheel bearings and ensuring that a cotter key is in place in the castle nut are usually all that is required. Most spindles fail due to heat from a dry or over-tightened wheel bearing or stress from turning a very sharp corner. When the unit is turned too sharp, it causes the tires to skid and be dragged around the turn. This dragging produces a tremendous amount of stress and load on the spindles, often cracking and breaking them.

In order to prevent breakage, trailers often use several spindle-mounted wheel assemblies paired with an air lift system to raise select wheels up and off of the road when making sharp turns. Once the rig has completed its turn, the tag axles or spindles are once again lowered to the road. This arrangement allows multiple wheels to evenly disperse the load's weight to prevent damage to the spindles.

·
Vendor
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Uhh really...Who doesn't know what a spindle is?

Maybe this will help..........................

A spindle is a part of a vehicle's suspension. Tying the wheel and tire into the steering system, the spindle is in the front of the vehicle in most cases; however, some front-wheel drive vehicles also have rear spindles. The spindle pivots between the upper and lower A-frames or on the strut. Both the inner and outer wheel bearings ride on the spindle and the retaining nut on the end secures the wheel into position. On most vehicles, the front brake caliper is also mounted on the spindle.

Acting like a short axle, a spindle is used to attach a wheel assembly to a vehicle. Typically manufactured from a forged piece of steel, spindles must be extremely strong and durable to support the weight of the vehicle. While most spindles utilize a wheel hub to mount the wheel and tire in place, some wheels are mounted directly onto the spindle without the use of a hub. These wheels are known as spindle mount wheels.

Often, trailers and farm implements use spindles in place of solid, full-length axles. These spindles are subjected to incredible loads and occasionally break. When this happens, it is seldom possible to weld the spindles in place and repair them. New spindles are used to replace broken ones and are typically changed as a complete unit. The use of spindles instead of axles on machinery allows for better articulation and movement of the tires and suspension from side to side.

A vehicle's spindles rarely require specialized maintenance. Greasing the inner and outer wheel bearings and ensuring that a cotter key is in place in the castle nut are usually all that is required. Most spindles fail due to heat from a dry or over-tightened wheel bearing or stress from turning a very sharp corner. When the unit is turned too sharp, it causes the tires to skid and be dragged around the turn. This dragging produces a tremendous amount of stress and load on the spindles, often cracking and breaking them.

In order to prevent breakage, trailers often use several spindle-mounted wheel assemblies paired with an air lift system to raise select wheels up and off of the road when making sharp turns. Once the rig has completed its turn, the tag axles or spindles are once again lowered to the road. This arrangement allows multiple wheels to evenly disperse the load's weight to prevent damage to the spindles.
Yeah, I'm with you on the spindles. There is a lot of behind the scenes/inside conversation in those comments. Baz had made the suggestion to me that maybe offering "pre-gusseted spindles" on the website would be a good idea. Of course because it's Baz, his would need to be blue. I like the idea, but new spindles are prohibitively expensive and I prefer not to get into the whole "core charge" or "send me your olds". I've read to many complaints of people ordering pre gusseted spindles from VERY reputable companies but have them be slightly off because the "core" spindle was already bent.

…anyway, that's where all that came from.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Hey Zack!! Just saw this pop up in the active topics and thought: oh hey, wait a minute... that's who I'm dealing with! Just though it was funny and figured I'd post up a pic, can't wait to get those new hubs! Got the spindles all cleaned up and a fresh coat of paint and everything! :rocker::rocker:

-Dustin

Attachments

·
Vendor
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
@Swerllz, those are some sexy looking spindles. I wanted to gusset mine when I replaced the coil overs, but I didn't get the chance. Now, it will have to wait until after the Moab run.

I feel bad about the bearings. They are all boxed up in the shipping box with the cushions waiting on the spindle seals. Shipping label is already on the box. Tracking said yesterday but I still didn't get them today. I just didn't like how the set I pressed up the first time were behaving and didn't feel right sending them out.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Hey like I said, no worries. I appreciate that attention to quality. I'll take quality over rushed work any day. Plus I figure he doesn't sit on the stands much, needed a little rest anyways haha. And thanks, I put my gusseting on when I put the LT kit on, figured it was best to reinforce as much as I could while I had him that far apart. So far seems like it has all been worth it.

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,298 Posts
Both bearings are shot..Just ordered the full kit, hopefully I can get them as early as possible next week so I can get them on installed in-between my jobs so I can make the trip to and from cruiserfest.. I'm more then willing to pay for the next day shipping if need be

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Both bearings are shot..Just ordered the full kit, hopefully I can get them as early as possible next week so I can get them on installed in-between my jobs so I can make the trip to and from cruiserfest.. I'm more then willing to pay for the next day shipping if need be
I got mine in around 3 days if I remember correctly.

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,298 Posts
Awesome sauce ! Both sides are making that deep monotone whine that almost sounds like tires but I feel play in the wheels when doing the wiggle test. No signs of leaks since both front diff axle shaft seals and CV boots were replaced a few months ago

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Awesome sauce ! Both sides are making that deep monotone whine that almost sounds like tires but I feel play in the wheels when doing the wiggle test. No signs of leaks since both front diff axle shaft seals and CV boots were replaced a few months ago
Mine are making a really loud whine on sharp slow turns. I thought it was a cv but the shop swears its the bearing.

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,298 Posts
It's the same sound that I had almost forgot about from when the drivers side went out many moons ago.

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,298 Posts
Procedures.... Pretty straight forward? Remove wheel, discount brake caliper and remove rotor. Remove axle nut cover, cotter pin and axle nut. Remove 4bolts securing bearing set, clean and lube axle splines. reinstall new bearing and torque ?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Procedures.... Pretty straight forward? Remove wheel, discount brake caliper and remove rotor. Remove axle nut cover, cotter pin and axle nut. Remove 4bolts securing bearing set, clean and lube axle splines. reinstall new bearing and torque ?
Yep, that covers it. if you want to replace the spindle seal you have to pull the axle out of the spindle. I elft mine since I'd replaced them about a year ago and they looked good.

·
Vendor
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Thanks for the order! I'll get them out as soon as I can get into the shop, this morning. They are pressed and ready to go.

There is a write-up on the website that goes through all the steps in changing them out. It's really not too bad. Just remember, to do the spindle seal, you will have to take the two bolts out of the bottom of the spindle so you can pull it off the axle shaft. Be careful to not damage the wheel speed sensor when you do this. Just be mindful of what you're doing and it will go nice and smooth.

41 - 60 of 160 Posts