Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

81 - 100 of 160 Posts

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,346 Posts
Its not like it would be a big press, it would be small enough to put in the glove box. Only reason why I want to make it and try it is because I couldn't get the leverage or angle with the punch and hammer and too scared to eff up the seal if I hit it too hard trying to force it with a mallet. The flange surface was slightly rough in areas do too corrosion so that was probably keeping it from seating or one side was pressed in too far keeping the other from sliding in. Just something I'd like to try

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Order placed finally! Looking forward to getting these so I can do a much-needed revamp on the front end of the FJ.

·
Registered
567 Posts
dude thanks for quick shipping. now drives like never before (except for some other things but these are related to other factors :lol:)

·
Registered
505 Posts
I just pressed 16 more sets together, yesterday. Sorry, I didn't take any fresh pics… Let me know, they are all boxed and ready to ship!

:blueblob::rocker::rocker::blueblob:
Just getting in line just incase I need new bearing in the future, I am at 120k miles so far so good.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I'm glad I got these as preventative maintenance when changing my CVs. Driver's side bearing was shot. Haven't gotten to the passenger side yet, but I doubt it'll be much better. 107k miles and no water crossings, but I've been in the mud a few times and generally drive the FJ like a race car in the corners... Pretty sure my driving habits with 35" tires wore these things out in a hurry.

·
Vendor
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I'm glad I got these as preventative maintenance when changing my CVs. Driver's side bearing was shot. Haven't gotten to the passenger side yet, but I doubt it'll be much better. 107k miles and no water crossings, but I've been in the mud a few times and generally drive the FJ like a race car in the corners... Pretty sure my driving habits with 35" tires wore these things out in a hurry.
Do you run wheel spacers? I'm running 295/70's and had to add spacers to get the tire off the UCA. I know that doesn't promote long bearing life, either...

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Do you run wheel spacers? I'm running 295/70's and had to add spacers to get the tire off the UCA. I know that doesn't promote long bearing life, either...
Nope, got these big tires tucked as close to the UCA as possible. I've got around 1/8" clearance with zero rubbing, on or off road. I really do drive this thing hard in the corners and twisty roads though. While I'm revamping the front, I've decided to lower the front an 1" or 1.25" to give myself more stability in the corners and give me more down-travel off road. I'll lose the current diff drop as well, so I shouldn't be losing much ground clearance.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I don't know what this stuff is, but I've got a lot of it. It's hard to see in the picture, but there are piles of what looks like black brake dust with lots of silver confetti. The bearing itself is packed with the stuff as well. I'm happy to report there isn't much of any rust in the bearings though...

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Nasty stuff right there. Still happy to see my seals were holding up!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't know what this stuff is, but I've got a lot of it. It's hard to see in the picture, but there are piles of what looks like black brake dust with lots of silver confetti. The bearing itself is packed with the stuff as well. I'm happy to report there isn't much of any rust in the bearings though...

Nice Job..

How easy it is! Why you change it.!

I hear a sound from my front wheel FR.

Plan to replace it soon from this guy.

《ωαℓєєє ☆ αℓσтαιвι》

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
My CV lost all it's grease 70k miles ago and was starting to have problems, so I figured I'd replace everything up front for the most part. Rotors, pads, spindles, inner and outer tie rods, bearings/hubs, etc. I removed the wheel the day before and sprayed all bolts down with a penetrating oil twice. Everything came apart super easily as though the truck were new. Once the wheel was off, I'd say I had the hub/bearing assembly off in about 10 minutes. Very simple thus far. The rest of everything will take longer, but if I were just swapping the bearing/hub out, the whole job from jacking the truck to lowering it back to the ground would be done in under an hour. I'm a seasoned veteran working on FJ suspensions and brakes though.

81 - 100 of 160 Posts